The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for advice on moving out at 18

Orka

Uvic lived at home first year and in dorms second and off campus in a shared house after that. The house was the best by far and dorm was the worst. But it all depends on who you are living with. The best of places can be ruined by having a bad house mate. If anyone is overly anal about minor stuff your gonna have friction. I knew everyone beforehand so no worries on getting along in the house.

No need to be concerned about building debt if you are looking at entering a high demand field with a decent paying job waiting for you. If your taking history or philosophy or something, yeah, save your pennies.

My advice is don't move out till you've completed 2nd year. First/2nd year wages suck. Once you pass 2nd though the money gets alot better...but I think trades wages down there are generally poor anyways compared to most other places. If you're young and free I'd go into industrial construction for electrical...you'll work all over the province and keep busy, but you might be able to make 50-70,000 in your first year. Where as down south in the mainland I've heard it's 15-18/hrfor a first year

Try to get on with BC hydros electrician apprentice program. If you can get in starting first year wage is 3/4 of their full electrician wage so about $27 hr. to start.

If you move out, don't use movers...do it yourself/with friends and family. Rent a truck from Uhaul but DON'T hand your personal belongings over to movers for a fee. Ever.

? I'm sure at 18 he doesn't own enough to warrant movers anyway...but this seems extreme. We used movers twice now and once you have enough money to justify it, yeah, it's a lot better that humping that crap around yourself.

It depends....a lot of rogue movers out there, I know this first hand. They quote based on weight, come in low on purpose and in order to secure the job, don't actually weigh the goods but eyeball to ensure the cost is at least 2-3X the quote and add a bunch of extra charges. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't been subjected to this. A lot of teenagers have possessions that they want moved (bedroom suite, electronics, etc.) and they generally value them a whole lot.

It is not better if you get one of the movers I know of. It can be devastating. Just trying to help with an insider perspective that's all.

Depending our your circumstances, staying home for a bit is so much better.

You don't have to pay for

new furniture, food, gas, electricity, transportation/car stuff.

save so much more money staying home a few years. You accumulate more money that when it comes time you have more money in the pocket/savings to spend for those necessities while living alone.

But if that isn't a luxury...definitely find a roommate or many roommates to share the cost of said above ^^^ or if you have family in Vancouver like cousins, aunts/uncles, grandparents or etc..do that instead.

Sure it sounds cool to live on your own for the experiences/independency but its a lot harder than it looks or sounds.

It depends....a lot of rogue movers out there, I know this first hand. They quote based on weight, come in low on purpose and in order to secure the job, don't actually weigh the goods but eyeball to ensure the cost is at least 2-3X the quote and add a bunch of extra charges. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't been subjected to this. A lot of teenagers have possessions that they want moved (bedroom suite, electronics, etc.) and they general value them a whole lot.

It is not better if you get one of the movers I know of. It can be devastating. Just trying to help with an insider perspective that's all.

Quote by weight? I've never heard of that. Reputable companies do a good job.

My advice is don't move out till you've completed 2nd year. First/2nd year wages suck. Once you pass 2nd though the money gets alot better...but I think trades wages down there are generally poor anyways compared to most other places. If you're young and free I'd go into industrial construction for electrical...you'll work all over the province and keep busy, but you might be able to make 50-70,000 in your first year. Where as down south in the mainland I've heard it's 15-18/hrfor a first year

I am planning on working in the industrial industry and investing in real estate when I can afford it.

If you move out, don't use movers...do it yourself/with friends and family. Rent a truck from Uhaul but DON'T hand your personal belongings over to movers for a fee. Ever.

appreciate the advice Deb, I'm the youngest of three children and I've helped my brother and sister both move to vancouver from the island. I've got a family that is experienced at moving across the pond by ourselves :)

Hmm I assumed it was accustomed in non-immigrant or non-ethnic families especially in North America for kids to be forced out by their parents when they finished High school and turned 18?

Also I am not trying to generalize or stereotype..

I'm caucasian ;)

Try to get on with BC hydros electrician apprentice program. If you can get in starting first year wage is 3/4 of their full electrician wage so about $27 hr. to start.

I've been looking into BC Hydro, thanks for the advice :)

Some people will talk about how you need to be a man and move out at 18.

It is still possible to do this, but it is a lot harder than it used to be. You could walk out of highschool and into a job that could keep you living comfortably. Those types of opportunities are rare these days.

In my field of education, making money is part of the college experience and you need to work X amount of hours to continue the academic part. You also get paid fair wages ( out of first year the minimum you can be paid is 12$ an hour) and it grows the deeper you are in the program.

Keep in mind everyone that this an apprenticeship course I'm taking so I won't be sitting in said apartment,dorm whatever it may be just losing more and more money. The Electrical trade is a high paying one and you get plenty of hours between your full time courses (which can be as short as 10 weeks)

Quote by weight? I've never heard of that. Reputable companies do a good job.

Well not to derail things but yes. Local movers bill by the hour/job but anything involving longer distances (and quite often ferries from the Island to mainland) will involve weight estimates...it's how they make their money. Billing by the hour doesn't allow for this as how do you bill "extra" when you are on the clock? Sure, foot dragging, etc. but that just makes for a longer day for everyone. So the movers wanting to make a quick buck provide estimates based on weight (or dwelling size) and then jack it up. It's awful.

Again, good on you for not encountering this...it's all too common. The industry is a real sham and if you have a good mover, you should share the info and give them some well deserved exposure.

Good luck OP...good to hear you are moving yourself.

Keep in mind everyone that this a apprenticeship course I'm taking so I won't be sitting in said apartment,dorm whatever it may be just losing more and more money. The Electrical trade is a high paying one and you get plenty of hours between your full time courses (which can be as short as 10 weeks)

I'm not saying don't do it, I moved out at 18 and went to college and worked and between my wage, grants and student loans it was totally doable. The reality is that operating your own place costs a lot more than rent and food. It really depends on your situation. If your home life is tolerable you should stick it and build as big a buffer of equity possible before moving out. If you can't stand living with your folks and can pay your bills, do it. Do not live on credit though. You don't have to learn that lesson the hard way.

I would say the opposite. I moved out when I was 17. Worked traveled school all of it. Staying home milking your parents is lazy and boring. Go explore.

This is the best advice by far. The amount of posters telling you to stay at home as long as possible is mind boggling to me. I really cannot believe it. Who in their right mind wants to live with mommy and daddy while you are in your mid-20s?? You still have to live by the rules of the house which typically means no weed, booze or chicks unless you have parents who allow this. But why leave it up to them?

Remember, money isn't everything. I wouldn't trade the great times I had in my 20s for anything. I learned how to fend for myself on a limited budget. I am totally self reliant if need be. It's ok to struggle in life. There is no guarantee that staying at home is going to put you in a better situation by the time you do end up moving out.

Seriously, move out as soon as you can. If you can't hack it, most parents will take you back.

This is the best advice by far. The amount of posters telling you to stay at home as long as possible is mind boggling to me. I really cannot believe it. Who in their right mind wants to live with mommy and daddy while you are in your mid-20s?? You still have to live by the rules of the house which typically means no weed, booze or chicks unless you have parents who allow this. But why leave it up to them?

Remember, money isn't everything. I wouldn't trade the great times I had in my 20s for anything. I learned how to fend for myself on a limited budget. I am totally self reliant if need be. It's ok to struggle in life. There is no guarantee that staying at home is going to put you in a better situation by the time you do end up moving out.

Seriously, move out as soon as you can. If you can't hack it, most parents will take you back.

Lawl life is not all about booze, weed, and girls.. especially if you're dead broke in the end.

He's 18 years old and literally has all his 20's to engage in that kind of activity..

No point in rushing to move out when you have the option of living with your parents till you're on your feet or close to at least

that's the thing, I know I'm going to be working really hard all over BC by the time I'm in my mid-20's, I want to have experiences and stories to tell and be able to say I did that. Trade school isn't quite the same as UBC but nonetheless I want to see what's out there.

that's the thing, I know I'm going to be working really hard all over BC by the time I'm in my mid-20's, I want to have experiences and stories to tell and be able to say I did that. Trade school isn't quite the same as UBC but nonetheless I want to see what's out there.

Awesome man. I think you are on the right track with that thinking.

Side note: it's no wonder women in Vancouver say that all the guys they meet are duds when it's clear they all live in their parent's basements suckling off their parent's teat.

Archived