The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for advice on moving out at 18

Orka

Awesome man. I think you are on the right track with that thinking.

Side note: it's no wonder women in Vancouver say that all the guys they meet are duds when it's clear they all live in their parent's basements suckling off their parent's teat.

Yeah, what's much more attractive is the immature boozing, womanizing party boy who can "always move back home" when it doesn't work out. Maybe devise a plan that ensures you won't have to instead?

Awesome man. I think you are on the right track with that thinking.

Side note: it's no wonder women in Vancouver say that all the guys they meet are duds when it's clear they all live in their parent's basements suckling off their parent's teat.

:o:lol:

I moved out when I was 18 but when I look back I wish I stayed at home longer..at least a few more years..foods good..security and living with people you care about goes a long way compared to moving out when you are a teenager and in your case to a new highly expensive city...let alone the fact you may have to take on a room mate till you get up and running and cash fluid...room mates are a pain in the ass,,they use your stuff..eat your food..dirty your area and usually there are money problems...think it over well, there will be times you pine for home...Im not saying dont do it...just be prepared for a different way of life.

Depends what type of person you are. You dont realize how much TIME renting takes from you. If you're actually trying in school, the meals will be KD or Instant Noodles. Sometimes theres not enough time to make food, let alone money. And doing dishes and chores + upkeep of your place also takes a lot out of you, and you dont have much time to enjoy your own space. If you get a roommate, make sure its not a Good Friend of yours, you'll hate them by the end of it. Also pick someone with similar intrests (To prevent house parties ect)

lol, i had 3 friends live together (all high school friends) when they went to college, by the end of the 2nd month the 1 friend was stuck between a feud between the other and had a couch with no cushions (he would lock them in his room when he left) and no t.v and no dishes

if you wanna stay friends dont live with them

that's the thing, I know I'm going to be working really hard all over BC by the time I'm in my mid-20's, I want to have experiences and stories to tell and be able to say I did that. Trade school isn't quite the same as UBC but nonetheless I want to see what's out there.

spoiler alert: everybody has a story to tell and nobody cares about anybody elses

Never borrow money from yourself. I had some money saved but spent it thinking I'd pay myself back with my next paycheck. Big mistake.

Edit: I ended up having to borrow $200 from my parents. I'm 19 in May and I also moved out at 18.

that's the thing, I know I'm going to be working really hard all over BC by the time I'm in my mid-20's, I want to have experiences and stories to tell and be able to say I did that. Trade school isn't quite the same as UBC but nonetheless I want to see what's out there.

Dude, I go to a polytechnic school. It doesn't matter what school you go to; you get the right group of teachers and classmates, and you'll have memories for days

I did my first year schooling in September it was only 8 weeks and they just bombard you with info.You have to retain alot of memory its more important to study than to worry about partying and other crap also stay at home save a bit of money.

Unless staying home is really unbearable for some reason, stay at home till you graduate and find a job.

Once you find a job, if you decide to mooch off your parents, do the right and responsible thing and contribute to family finances. You don't have to give market value for room, homecooked meals, etc. but your parents put out a lot of $$ and energy to raise your arse til now. They probably deserve a new car, a vacation, and a nice night out for dinner once in a while.

Unless staying home is really unbearable for some reason, stay at home till you graduate and find a job.

Once you find a job, if you decide to mooch off your parents, do the right and responsible thing and contribute to family finances. You don't have to give market value for room, homecooked meals, etc. but your parents put out a lot of $$ and energy to raise your arse til now. They probably deserve a new car, a vacation, and a nice night out for dinner once in a while.

the reason of moving out would be a job, and education in between working.

I moved out at 17 right after I graduated but I wasn't going to school and had a job lined up at that point. I don't regret it at all probably one of the best decisions I ever made tbh. However if you're going to school I see no reason to rush to leave your parents house you'll have plenty of time to stress about life "in the real world" after you finish up your education.

the reason of moving out would be a job, and education in between working.

Do it, move out. Get roommates, work jobs, whatever it takes/you want. Hiding from the real world in your parents basement until your mid/late 20's is just sad.

Archived