The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surprised?

Kanucklehead10

Being eaten alive by the Sharks in 2013

An embarrassment of a season in 2014 when the only thing that was changed was the guy behind the bench and people realized that letting AV go probably wasn't a good idea after all.

Just like in 2012 when we didn't expect to lose to a team like the 8th seed Kings, coming fresh off of winning the President's trophy for 2 years in a row.

Just like we thought we could beat the Bruins in 2011 and win our first cup after being up 2-0 in the series.....

Honestly, "choking" with this core is so cliché, its funny.

Over the years they've proven that they're not a team you can trust.

we would have just been swept 4-0 playing the Kings if we had played against them like this

while being shutout 3 of 4...you play who you play. we could have finished tops in the pacific and gotten WPG in the first round...anyone believe after seeing what we've seen that we'd win that series. maybe would score more goals but we'd likely have no d-men left. this series hasnt been overly physical, just the indecision of where to go with the puck by our d-men and they skate themselves into problems where they just get pounded over and over.

This is why I was hoping for LA in the first round, knew Calgary was a dangerous team... But no, everyone here was hoping for the Flames. Still happy?

doesn't matter who wins this series. The ducks will destroy the winner within 5. Was never our year, just sucks we bunker out so hard. Only silver lining is maybe hammer,juice and Higgins will be inclined to waive after this sad showing.

I'd say that I'm not surprised but disappointed. It is extremely frustrated to see our team not trying their best. Sure Calgary is not the best team but they showed great determination, the willingness to go all out and compete and we all saw the fire in their eyes. But, how about our team??? Sigh...

I don't watch too many games but yeah, it's brought me back to reality. They were and are built for the regular season, but we'd need some changes to thrive in the playoffs.

The star forwards (Sedins, Vrbata) don't do well in tighter checking; although they're not entirely shut down they're also not guys to lead the charge like other stud captains (Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar) can; they're more like the Sharks, but hey they're the best we have so I'd still stick with them (unless we could pick up some top prospects or young players for them).

The depth guys up front are just a mixture of players (most of the middle-six guys are punching above their skill class or are tweeners), whereas the Flames guys each have their definite skill-set (two-way centers Monahan and Backlund, small but feisty and slick wingers Gaudreau, Hudler and Bennett, depth power wingers Colborne, Ferland, and a solid mix of other forwards).

The defense behind Eddie and Tanev need work too. Juice Pizza needs to go. I'd keep Weber for the #6 D-man role, but other than that this back line needs re-working with players with physicality or skill. Calgary has a better back end than us too, we're lucky Giordano's out because Russell, Wideman and Brodie have each had their moments, and Deryk Engelland is their #4. With their entire Top-4 in, we'd have trouble beating their mobility.

Goalies are about even though. I'm happy with Lack's play for the most part, just his 3 goals in 7 shots tonight really hurt. I'd trust him as the #1A for next year though.

Really hope the team could tear down and rework their identity. I'd be happy if some "all-round" veterans could be dealt for either slick or physical young guys. For now, build around the Twins, Horvat, Vrbata (kinda have to keep the leading goal scorer but wish he handles physicality better), Edler, Tanev and Lack, and then build a more energetic team, with both small but skilled speed guys and big guys on the same line. Same for the back end, there should be physical guys and dynamic defensemen on the pairings, kind of like the L.A. model.

Take care of Ferland and let the domino's fall as they may. Calgary feeds off of this guy. Not just his teammates but the city and its fans. It isn't Johnny Hotdog who is making our D nervous. Seriously! Take one guy on the team and make it his mission to send this guy back to rehab. A different kind of rehab for sure but new things aren't necessarily bad things. It'll give him time to think about his life choices.

let's have some perspective here. i'm really peeved at the effort tonight.

and frustrated with some of the coaching decisions. macmillan in, instead of baertschi? ARE YOU FRICKING KIDDING ME.

baer's gotta be in for friday's game.

bieksa has to sit. he's had a bad game, and a poor series overall. he's not doing any good for the team right now.

move vrbata to the sedins (why the coaching staff didn't do this, i have no clue).

at the end of the day. i think the canucks can win game 5. but i don't think they'll win the series. out in six.

With Vrbata being on a line with the Twins it makes us a two line team. He preached all season along he wants a 4 line team.

Willy Ds Texas team was down 3-1 in their AHL final last year, they came back to win it.

The Flames have NOT dominated this series...if you guys really think so, man you need to go play hockey and learn the game or something.

The Canucks play a more cerabal game, they are trying to slow the game down, because they cant compete with the young speed (people have forgotten that Calgary has missed the playoffs SIX years straight, that means they have drafted high for six years. Hence getting the future super stars.

People also forget that Hartley has won a Stanley Cup and Wille is a ROOKIE coach, hes going to make lots of mistakes. $&!# happends. I was mad about the McMillan thing myself. But the rest of the team needs to get their $&!# together.

It was a huge blow to the team losing BOTH Richardson AND Burrows... I think we couldve dealt with one, but both...that sucks. Eddie had a terrible start to the game....When Miller came in, we didnt let in a goal.

The series isnt over yet, for soem of you not born before 1994... These two teams have lots of history playing 7 games...besides, its the best series of the playoffs. Do you really think the NHL is going to allow it to end in 5? I dont think so Tim! This series could very well go 7 games.

This is why I was hoping for LA in the first round, knew Calgary was a dangerous team... But no, everyone here was hoping for the Flames. Still happy?

I must apologize on behalf of everyone in here to you. We should have all been hoping like crazy for another team. If only we had listened to you and not collectively squeezed our eyes shut and hoped and hoped as hard as we could to play the Flames. We didn't listen when you tried to warn us all that Calgary had an insurmountably dangerous team. Then everything would be great right now. We could have hoped them into playing LA instead, where we would obviously be up 3-1 on them instead. Damit.

I don't think anyone would be shocked if the Canucks lost to the Ducks or something but honestly, I think most people thought they could beat the Flames, or at least put up a fight. I mean this series isn't over yet, but it's hard to pick out who the Canucks heroes would be in a comeback. And I mean give credit to Calgary and I'll even be going for em if they move on (Just wanna see Canadian teams do well) but seriously they aren't that good and Vancouver should be putting up a better fight.

Its much less about losing for me and much more so about the level of effort by the team and the amount of no shows. Thats whats irritating to me. Not the losing so much, but the lack of effort, passion and drive.

Some of the posters here thinking that LA would have been an easier out than Calgary are deluded IMO....If we had played LA,I still think we would be staring down a 3-1 hole,with the difference being that LA would be able to close out the series a lot quicker...Calgary is a fairly young team,going off adrenaline,and easily the weaker opposition out of any of the Western Conference teams (and they don't even have their MVP in the lineup)........So,yes,I am surprised,I thought that the leadership group on the Canucks would give it one last good kick at the can...I'll reserve my judgement after Thursday night.

Not the least bit surprised. They are being the exact pathetic no-shows I knew they were going to be. I knew right from the start. Many other people were writing the Canucks off when they heard they were facing the Flames, and the Canucks fired back that they we're going to show us how wrong we are about them. Really eh? What a f-ing joke. Just a lot of talk and no action to back it up. All they do is talk the talk. They just showed once again why people are so doubtful about them.

Im glad we made the playoffs, and Im not upset about the idea of losing in round 1, but losing to a Calgary team everyone thought we were better than, and not just losing but being made to like amateurs on live TV really rubs me the wrong way.

I had hoped for at least a more inspired playoff performance, more net battles(In front of both nets) and more close games and nail biting OT like Chicago and Nashville.

Outside the Horvat line, no one else to me anyway has put up consistent efforts period to period and game to game.

The Sedins have had flashes but they spend to much time in the O-zone without getting pucks to the net... Passing around in a circle for a minute only to set up one decent shot that usually goes wide or gets blocked isnt good enough.

Vrbata looks hurt out there, he took a hit to the knee before the playoffs in a game (cant remember who) and ever since he has looked slow. He hasnt been skating like he usually does and i have noticed him standing around not skating to open areas or carrying the puck like he usually does.

Miller should have gotten the start in game 2, Lack deserved game 1 but Miller is a vezina winner who has won us games this year we had no business winning. Lack is like Osgood, he looks good when the team up front plays good but he cant carry a bad team like Miller did for so many years in Buffalo. Miller had 6 shutouts this year, one more tonight and its a win for Vancouver.

Not that Lack has played bad but when the team is playing like this... You go with the guy who has a long history and better track record of stealing wins for his team. Not a 29 year old sohpmore who has a nice personaity. Look at Roy, the guys a jerk but that didnt matter when you play like he did.

And you can bring up Millers performance in St.Louis last year, but then I would challenge you with evidence of St.Louis' playoffs history over the past few years and this year with out him are just as bad and perhaps its not goaltending thats the problem there.

In the end it doesnt matter the way were are playing, since you need more than goaltending to win in the playoffs.

Benning, Linden and Desjardins will be in tough this offseason again to try and evaluate the season and playoffs and try to make changes they collectively feel will help this team this time next year if we are lucky enough to make it again.

But i am starting to rant... :[

Anyway, Go Canucks Go!! lets at least try to make some Flames fans nervous and go out fighting!!!

I doubt anyone expected to beat the flames with our recent playoff history, but I still think it was good to get the young players experience.

Look, this core is done, but the next core is learning as we go, so making the playoffs was a good thing.

May as well just put all the rookies we can in, next game. Why not?

Archived