The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tank Keeps Paying Off For The Sabres

Eichel's line mate and 2nd highest NCAA scorer in the nation is signing with the Sabres. Tanking this year was definitely worth it. ::D

Boston University forward Evan Rodrigues will sign with the Buffalo Sabres, according to sources. The undrafted free agent ranked second in the country with 61 points (21 goals, 40 assists) in 41 games as a senior while playing on a line with freshman star Jack Eichel. Interestingly enough, Buffalo is also the probable landing spot for Eichel now that the Sabres have the second overall pick.

Rodrigues is a 5-foot-11 right shot from Etobicoke, Ontario. He played left wing this season, but had also played on the right side for stretches of his BU career. Rodrigues is a stellar two-way player who featured prominently on both the penalty kill and power play for the Terriers. BU coach David Quinn has said that Rodrigues is one of the smartest college hockey players he has ever coached.

Rodrigues helped lead the Terriers to Hockey East regular-season and tournament titles this season, as well as a Frozen Four appearance. They ultimately fell to Providence in the national championship game.

http://collegeblog.weei.com/sports/college/2015/04/21/sources-bus-evan-rodrigues-to-sign-free-agent-deal-with-sabres/

Playing on a line with Eichel will help your numbers, but he sounds like a solid pick-up.

The Sabres have some great young talent in the pipeline.

If they can avoid the Edmonton model and surround these kids with some tough hard-nosed NHL'ers, they could make some noise in the next few years.

I hope the Sabres do have some success soon. The fans there deserve it.

This has Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin written all over it haha. Whoever Edmonton picks, McDavid obviously, is gonna just be dragged into the abyss. Eichel is gonna slide into Buffalo and have a proper supporting cast around him, hell, he will be the supporting cast for guys like Kane and Ennis, and Buffalo will be playoff bound while Edmonton is winning another draft lottery.

I always worry sometimes guys that follow in the footsteps of a super talent like Eichel. Free prospects are never bad, just don't get your hopes up too high as you could end up with a Dane Fox 2.0

Fox has had a strong second half in the ECHL. Don't write him off just yet.

No you should never tank.

The presstitutes will be singing the praise of Buffalo management in a couple of years as they climb the standings. Tanking was more than low until the Laffers did it and then it made complete sense. On the

one hand the gurus say you cannot build a competitive team outside the draft and then on the other laugh at teams who actively pursue high picks.

Chicago

Pitt

Anaheim

Carolina

* all tanked for years and then went on to win CUPs.

No you should never tank.

The presstitutes will be singing the praise of Buffalo management in a couple of years as they climb the standings. Tanking was more than low until the Laffers did it and then it made complete sense. On the

one hand the gurus say you cannot build a competitive team outside the draft and then on the other laugh at teams who actively pursue high picks.

Chicago

Pitt

Anaheim

Carolina

* all tanked for years and then went on to win CUPs.

9 of the last 10 cup winning rosters had at least 1 player who was a top 2 pick.

Unfortunately tanking has won quite a few cups. I'm not a fan with the lotto system and Edmontons 1st rounders are even further testiment to that. Makes me frustrated with the NHL.

I've said this before, but they should have the lotto for third. It would make the teams more competitive near the end, but not be giving away star talents to be screwed over by organizations who are bad with prospects.

Fox has had a strong second half in the ECHL. Don't write him off just yet.

I realize with my tone it looks like I'm writing him off, but that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to point out that these type of players end up being projects more often than not (that yes, could pan out) than a Chris Kunitz.

No you should never tank.The presstitutes will be singing the praise of Buffalo management in a couple of years as they climb the standings. Tanking was more than low until the Laffers did it and then it made complete sense. On theone hand the gurus say you cannot build a competitive team outside the draft and then on the other laugh at teams who actively pursue high picks.ChicagoPittAnaheimCarolina* all tanked for years and then went on to win CUPs.

Sure, those teams had top picks, but they hardly tanked on purpose. Buffalo took it to an unabashed whole new level these past couple of years.

Archived