The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a disconnect between twins and coach

cowboy644

After listening to everything that went on yesterday morning and practice today there seems to be something a little off to me.Taken separately in and of itself it wasn't so noticeable till it's added up.It started yesterday when we heard the twins talked to Willy about their ice time.That was followed by Linden talking to WD and then telling team 1040 they talked about the twins ice time and telling his coach to increase it.That is a message saying "your getting this wrong and it is leading to losses."

Making it public had an effect.Look,Willy may be stubborn but he is not stupid.Once Burrows was unavailable it should have been automatic that Vrbata moved to the first line.What does Willy do,puts Hansen there instead.The same Hansen that was absolutely inaffective there earlier this year.The same Hansen who in an interview admitted he was uncomfortable playing on a scoring line when he knew his strength was in a checking role chipping in goals when he could.Putting Yannik there delivered the desired message I believe."I was embarrassed by being told how to coach and I'll give you more ice time but I'll play you with someone who doesn't work with you".There is just no other way to explain it.The shifts with Vrbata in the 3rd they actually generated chances.After a tv timeout with 5 or 6 minutes left in the game when most coaches trailing late put out there best line WD rolls the other 3 lines first.You don't think the twins notice.When they were put out Henrik, rather than return to the bench, stayed out for almost 2 minutes whether Desjardan liked it or not.Today at practice,Hansen with the twins again.

Are you saying Willie sabotaged his top line because they asked him for more icetime?

Now I've read some dumb things before, but...

I'm with you there. I couldn't even see that happening if the Canucks were up in the series. But when you're looking to even the series and regain home ice advantage vs. going down 3-1... I can't imagine even the most petty of people would do that. WD (from what I see) is a better person than that, let alone a better coach.

It was pretty dumb to play Hansen with them. Not only does Hansen never work on that line, but it also ruined our next best line, which was the Kenins-Horvat-Hansen.

All I know is Baertschi and Vey better be playing next game. At this point I'd rather have Mcmillan in than Vrbata. He had way more of an impact in one game than Vrbata's had in 4.

The disconnect is ther I would agree.

but not between the twins and the coach

More between the twins and the game come playoff time over the last 4 years or so.

Endless passing plays look cute and make great highlight reel fodder. But sitting and watching them dipsy doodle with 4 minutes and 38 seconds left in a 3 1 game only to lose the puck without a single shot on net is pathetic. Watching them control the play entirely for a full shift in the calgary zone in the second period yet STILL only end up with 3 total shots in the entire period (2 of which were from Dorsett) is beyond inexcusable.

There IS a disconnect. And while coach Willies decisions are borderline questionable, their level of play for their vaunted status is almost reprehensible. I mean what the ever loving hell, he HANDED Englynd his stick back and said sorry....what the shart is that?

Down 3-1 in a do or die playoff game and they're treating it like a no contact game of shinny

Hopefully we learn from it in the off-season, Get fresh blood in, Drop some old vets (If we can) and start again next year. Its going to be tough as long as we have this core.

Would love to have a new, Skilled, Faster Dman. Can Clendenning be that guys? Either way. Our D plays like old men and need to be better offensively.

The OP is wrong on several counts and seems to be trying to cause trouble.

1. I heard the Linden interview. Linden did not say that "he told the coach the increase the Sedins playing time". He said that "the coaching staff has space to make its own decisions" but he did acknowledge something to the effect that the Sedins should play more. Even this was a bit more implicitly critical than I would have expected (and Linden probably regrets saying anything in the media), but his comment was nowhere near as directly critical of WD as the OP suggests.

2. The productivity of Hansen with the Sedins has been much studied and much discussed. In fact, his productivity with the Sedins is quite good. And there is one more thing that seems to have gone unnoticed. The defensive play of the Sedin line is much better with a strong defensive presence (Burrows or Hansen) than with Vrbata.

3. As WD has said it is important to have more than one line as an offensive threat. Vrby with Bonino was good in the regular season.

That said, I personally agree with the general view that the Sedins need to play more than 16 minutes a night, that it did not make sense to break up the Horvat-Kenins-Hansen line, that the Canucks should have played Baertschi instead of McMillan and that Vrby should have played with the Sedins.

But the argument that WD was trying to sabotage the Sedins by playing them with Hansen makes no sense at all. Kind of on a level with saying the moon landing was a hoax or that the referees are out to make sure the Canucks lose.

WOW! Sure beats having a goalie Controversy? I can't believe what goes on with this team from one day to the next. And I'm a SEASON TICKET HOLDER and I bought PLAYOFF TICKETS.

So, tell me am I the idiot? No, I love this team, but they just can't do it anymore and I think they know it. As a fan of great hockey, I was shocked that we made the playoffs and would have bet money that we wouldn't. We work hard but we are not good enough. This is not 2011 and the sad part about this is that the money should not have been spent to get to the first round and no farther. EVENTUALLY it will be a COMPLETE REBUILD and we should have started earlier rather than later.

Spend so much money on Miller was ridiculous and it's not because he isn't a good goalie. It's because we are not built to go deep into the playoffs and until that changes no goalie will save our bacon.

I don't get why people have to say the sedins needs this or that player to succeed. We are talking as if the sedins are one person. Last time I checked, the sedins are two people called Henrik and Daniel and the two of them should be better as players themselves than to make excuses and say they need a third guy to draw players away from them so they can do their thing; that is not how star players perform. Star players pull opposition towards them so they can set up their teammates or they are able to pull away from opposition on their own.

Also, Henrik really needs to learn when to shoot and when to pass. The goal he scored on Hiller in game four was totally a fluke. You can tell Hiller knew that Henrik was going to pass to Daniel on the other side so he was already preparing to push off. This is obvious when you start looking at the goal. Hiller never plays against Henrik like he is going to take the shot. Hiller knows that Henrik is going to pass because that is his MO and it was unlucky for Hiller that the shot deflected off the defenceman and Hiller's expression says a lot because if it wasn't deflected, he would have gotten it.

Endless passing plays look cute and make great highlight reel fodder. But sitting and watching them dipsy doodle with 4 minutes and 38 seconds left in a 3 1 game only to lose the puck without a single shot on net is pathetic. Watching them control the play entirely for a full shift in the calgary zone in the second period yet STILL only end up with 3 total shots in the entire period (2 of which were from Dorsett) is beyond inexcusable.

This ^^ I suspect this could be the reason why WD is controlling their ice time. Their line is not producing enough shots to justify the extra ice time.

It was pretty dumb to play Hansen with them. Not only does Hansen never work on that line, but it also ruined our next best line, which was the Kenins-Horvat-Hansen.

All I know is Baertschi and Vey better be playing next game. At this point I'd rather have Mcmillan in than Vrbata. He had way more of an impact in one game than Vrbata's had in 4.

Thank God you're not the coach then. Mcmillan is a useless plug.

If that was true in any way I would instantly lose respect for Trevor Linden. If he wanted to be the damned coach he could have had the job.

He should not be interfering in how Willie coaches the team. WTF does he even know about coaching? Let the coach coach and if you don't like it fire him. He can't be interfering with the guy's methodology when that is why he was brought here in the first place.

The Sedins have surprised me. Willie has kept them fresh and the fact remains Stamkos had 2 shots and 16+ mins of ice time the other night. Is his coach being lectured to as well?

In game 4 Daniel had 3 shots in 21 mins

In game 4 Hank had 6 shots in 20 mins

In game 3 Daniel had 0 shots in 15 mins, that's right 0 shots

In game 3 Hank had 1 shot in 17 mins.

In game 2 Daniel had 6 shots in 18 mins

In game 2 Hank had 2 shots in 16 mins

In game 1 Daniel had 6 shots in 16 mins

In game 1 Hank had 0 shots in 17.5 mins

These stats show the coach is coaching the game as he sees it and that should be good enough for Linden AND the Sedins. Of course every player should want more ice time but that does not mean it is right to give them it. The twins produced as much if not more in game 2 as they did when they got 3 mins more and the fact is despite the extra time Hanks goal was scored on a PP.

I really think this club has a death wish. A losers soul, the ability to f--k everything up and it stems from many of their rancid fanbase.

Archived