The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a disconnect between twins and coach

cowboy644

While I would not have wanted Mac to replace Vbrata, that comment testifies to either the fact you didn't watch the game or if you did you had no clue to what was going on.

You have no clue either, Sven should be on the 2nd with Bones and Vrbata. McMillan should have never seen the ice, he brings absolutely no scoring ability somethig we are desparate for. Even Jensen is a better option than McMillan as he can play with the twins better than anybody on the team right now. Maybe Willie should look at some tape from last year on Jensen's stint with the twins.

I really think this club has a death wish. A losers soul, the ability to f--k everything up and it stems from many of their rancid fanbase.

So you really believe the fan base is responsible for the state the team is in?

So no second line scoring ... Bad fan base

Bad defensive decisions .... Bad fan base

Questionable Coaching decisions.... Bad fan base

Did you ever think that maybe the present roster just is not good enough.

This team is in a transitional state, the Sedins are about the only thing that make this a competitive team and an entertaining product. They have some promising young talent coming in but unfortunately that is future not present.

However.......

They are playing a perimeter game against the Flames. The Coach and the team have not come up with a way to defuse the fore check and cleanly move the puck up the ice, they may not have the speed and ability to do this, and then for them to simply say "the answer to their fore check is our puck possession game" is to ignore the significance of it

The disconnect is ther I would agree.

but not between the twins and the coach

More between the twins and the game come playoff time over the last 4 years or so.

Endless passing plays look cute and make great highlight reel fodder.;But sitting and watching them dipsy doodle with 4 minutes and 38 seconds left in a 3 1 game only to lose the puck without a single shot on net is pathetic. ;Watching them control the play entirely for a full shift in the calgary zone in the second period yet STILL only end up with 3 total shots in the entire period (2 of which were from Dorsett) is beyond inexcusable.

There IS a disconnect. And while coach Willies decisions are borderline questionable, their level of play for their vaunted status is almost reprehensible. I mean what the ever loving hell, he HANDED Englynd his stick back and said sorry....what the shart is that?

Down 3-1 in a do or die playoff game and they're treating it like a no contact game of shinny

Agreed, and this is what frustrates me the most. Not sure it was on that shift you referenced, but there was a play when Henrik had the puck on his stick in the slot just to Hillers left with a couple of bodies in front, and instead of shooting it and having teammates going to the front of the net looking for that deflection or awkward bounce off a skate, he slap passes it towards Daniel and the pass ends up in the corner boards and scoring chance is lost. Not a big deal for a game in January, but ridiculous when your season is on the line.

For players of their calibre and experience, this is unacceptable.

It isn't rocket science, and in fact history shows that the playoffs have always been a completely different game. But they've neither been able to adjust nor elevate their games in the playoffs. Not necessarily all their fault, but again, when your best players aren't your best players, odds are you're probably not going to win.

More between the twins and the game come playoff time over the last 4 years or so.

Endless passing plays look cute and make great highlight reel fodder. But sitting and watching them dipsy doodle with 4 minutes and 38 seconds left in a 3 1 game only to lose the puck without a single shot on net is pathetic. Watching them control the play entirely for a full shift in the calgary zone in the second period yet STILL only end up with 3 total shots in the entire period (2 of which were from Dorsett) is beyond inexcusable.

There IS a disconnect. And while coach Willies decisions are borderline questionable, their level of play for their vaunted status is almost reprehensible. I mean what the ever loving hell, he HANDED Englynd his stick back and said sorry....what the shart is that?

Down 3-1 in a do or die playoff game and they're treating it like a no contact game of shinny

not that im a big advance stats but thwre was a post and showed how sedins were the only line above like 40% corsi. They were at like 60 or something.

Its anoying as fk to see them cyxle when were down yes, but sedins need secondary scoring to spread the other teams defensive corps. But as we know other then kesler with samulson, we have missed for very long time

Have a look at the post season stats. Bo Horvat is leading the team in points with 1 goal and 2 assists.

In 4 games the Canucks have scored 8 goals, spread out amongst 8 players. Including one each for Daniel and Henrik.

The team is getting beat because our defence is just not good enough. I like Tanev and Edler, but honestly our 6 defensemen really are no where near as good as we need them to be. And our forwards who worked so well at back checking during the regular season seems to have forgotten how to help out the defence.

I'm happy to see a bounce back year for Edler, but honestly our Achillies heel is our defensive corps. They can't hold the puck in the offensive zone at the blue line. They don't shoot on net. And they don't clear the net in front of Lack or Miller. And they aren't fast enough. And unlike Calgary they can't hold the opposing team to the outside so that the only pucks heading to the net are low percentage shots.

not that im a big advance stats but thwre was a post and showed how sedins were the only line above like 40% corsi. They were at like 60 or something.

Its anoying as fk to see them cyxle when were down yes, but sedins need secondary scoring to spread the other teams defensive corps. But as we know other then kesler with samulson, we have missed for very long time

the problem wuth the advanced stats and metrics for guys like the twins is that it doesn't really tell the whole story.

Great they control tge puck great possession numbers and they confound the defense. But....what do they have to show for it? Stats are great. But goals are better and if players like them are stats monsters great but if they're not scoring with those advanced stats it does us no good.

In that matter the guy carrying tge bucket of pucks pre game does as much to help the team controlling the puck as the twins are.

Generating 1 shot per two or three shifts with those possession stats is beyond frustrating

the problem wuth the advanced stats and metrics for guys like the twins is that it doesn't really tell the whole story.

Great they control tge puck great possession numbers and they confound the defense. But....what do they have to show for it? Stats are great. But goals are better and if players like them are stats monsters great but if they're not scoring with those advanced stats it does us no good.

In that matter the guy carrying tge bucket of pucks pre game does as much to help the team controlling the puck as the twins are.

Generating 1 shot per two or three shifts with those possession stats is beyond frustrating

I think it does tell some story.

For example, let's say you are in a tied game. Knowing that the Sedins have high corsi number, meaning they are in the offensive zone a lot more, you know that there is less probability for the other team to score if you send the Sedins out and higher chance that you will get the next goal.

Similarly, if you are defending a one or two goal lead, sending out the Sedins smaller probability to allow a goal. Of course, it does not mean that the opposition will never score when the Sedins are on the ice, it just means there is a smaller probability.

I think it does tell some story.

For example, let's say you are in a tied game. Knowing that the Sedins have high corsi number, meaning they are in the offensive zone a lot more, you know that there is less probability for the other team to score if you send the Sedins out and higher chance that you will get the next goal.

Similarly, if you are defending a one or two goal lead, sending out the Sedins smaller probability to allow a goal. Of course, it does not mean that the opposition will never score when the Sedins are on the ice, it just means there is a smaller probability.

if im trying to score a goal in the last minute to win or tie a game lately

I'm hesitant to send out the twins because they don't shoot the puck.

The cycling is fine if a goal is scored. That's when the fans are joyfully singing "Sedinary!"

Imo, the problem is that they don't have anyone that can maintain a position in front of the net to chip in goals. (Kassian) :(

Bo has the physical ability, but is needed as a C on another line.

Kenins has the physical ability, but probably doesn't have the skill required to score the goals.

Another thing...Hiller leaves a lot of rebounds, but there never seems to be a Nuck player in position to cash in.

Maybe Linden should have fired WD and took over behind the bench. WD is just an OK coach for the regular season but the core here has seen it all through idiotic times of giving the C too the goalie and then to the Sedins. The player get their millions and just go on the ice but giving their all is not apparent any more. So Linden should fire WD and take over the coaching for now. He should ger rid of Gulickson too.

What an awful thread.

YUP.....so many people on CDC get hoodwinked by posters from other teams boards coming here disguised as Canuck fans..it's so obvious and sad that so many fall for the bait.

some are even trying to slag on Linden now :rolleyes:

Endless passing plays look cute and make great highlight reel fodder. But sitting and watching them dipsy doodle with 4 minutes and 38 seconds left in a 3 1 game only to lose the puck without a single shot on net is pathetic. Watching them control the play entirely for a full shift in the calgary zone in the second period yet STILL only end up with 3 total shots in the entire period (2 of which were from Dorsett) is beyond inexcusable.

This. So badly this. If there's any sort of disconnect in the Canucks, it's the 2nd line and the Sedin's refusal to take a damn shot.

Henrik: Daniel shoot (passes to Daniel)

Daniel: No you shoot (passes back to Henrik)

Henrik: Dammit Daniel. I'm the Captain and I say shoot the damn puck (passes to Daniel again)

Daniel: Why not just pass it to whoever's on right wi- oh wait we lost the puck

I don't know how many people pay attention to every game's stats but one glaring issue i've noticed this passing season is that we get out-shot by the opposing team almost every time.

Bring on the flame people. Our 1st line offense sucks in the playoffs.

Have a look at the post season stats. Bo Horvat is leading the team in points with 1 goal and 2 assists.

In 4 games the Canucks have scored 8 goals, spread out amongst 8 players. Including one each for Daniel and Henrik.

The team is getting beat because our defence is just not good enough. I like Tanev and Edler, but honestly our 6 defensemen really are no where near as good as we need them to be. And our forwards who worked so well at back checking during the regular season seems to have forgotten how to help out the defence.

I'm happy to see a bounce back year for Edler, but honestly our Achillies heel is our defensive corps. They can't hold the puck in the offensive zone at the blue line. They don't shoot on net. And they don't clear the net in front of Lack or Miller. And they aren't fast enough. And unlike Calgary they can't hold the opposing team to the outside so that the only pucks heading to the net are low percentage shots.

Sbisa and Hammer have been the only two dmen who have shown up to play. edler and tanev have been total no shows

So you really believe the fan base is responsible for the state the team is in?

So no second line scoring ... Bad fan base

Bad defensive decisions .... Bad fan base

Questionable Coaching decisions.... Bad fan base

Did you ever think that maybe the present roster just is not good enough.

This team is in a transitional state, the Sedins are about the only thing that make this a competitive team and an entertaining product. They have some promising young talent coming in but unfortunately that is future not present.

However.......

They are playing a perimeter game against the Flames. The Coach and the team have not come up with a way to defuse the fore check and cleanly move the puck up the ice, they may not have the speed and ability to do this, and then for them to simply say "the answer to their fore check is our puck possession game" is to ignore the significance of it

No I don't think the present roster isn't good enough. I feel we are not getting any of the breaks that our play entitles us to. We are also once more plagued with injury. I still don't think Matthias is 100% nor Kenins or Bieksa.

The cycling is fine if a goal is scored. That's when the fans are joyfully singing "Sedinary!"

Imo, the problem is that they don't have anyone that can maintain a position in front of the net to chip in goals. (Kassian) :(

Bo has the physical ability, but is needed as a C on another line.

Kenins has the physical ability, but probably doesn't have the skill required to score the goals.

Another thing...Hiller leaves a lot of rebounds, but there never seems to be a Nuck player in position to cash in.

This.

We never bargained for Kassian to be out all this time and unfortunately we don't seem to have anyone else other than Burrows who performs miracles while getting slapped around because he doesn't have the size. I'm sure JB will address this for next season, even if Kassian comes back. (Backs take a long time to allow you to get back to where you were as we saw with mason Raymond)

...even if Kassian comes back. (Backs take a long time to allow you to get back to where you were as we saw with mason Raymond)

Yeah Kassian will surely be a CDC whipping boy again next year as his back will almost certainly slow him down next season. Especially if he has surgery.

Nobody going to the net, no open shooting lanes (with no one creating them). You'd prefer they simply shoot it at Calgary's shin pads like the rest of our team does?

Nobody going to the net, no open shooting lanes (with no one creating them). You'd prefer they simply shoot it at Calgary's shin pads like the rest of our team does?

I prefer they shoot the puck period.

This isn't EA NHL 15 where an errant pass scores a goal. This is an elimination event playoff hockey in the real world.

Advanced stats mean crap if you're not scoring on them. Again, dominating the period....generating no shots. PLay an entire shift in the opposing zone playing keep away...no shots. Full power play. No shots.

While I respect the hell out of them again it is not trolling or antagonizing anyone to say the truth. If they don't shoot they won't score. And the issue is, they do not shoot.

As well, about the shin pads comment. Calgary and Anaheim scored some gems of deflection shots thus far in the playoffs. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Archived