The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting article on the Sedin's Corsi Dominance in this series and our lack of depth

hockeydude474

You can't expect two 34 year olds to carry a team no matter the circumstances. The Canucks demise lies therein, they should have been second liners for us at this point with youth taking the reigns.

That I agree with but Gillis handed them 7 mill each...

and none of his draft picks are on the team except Horvat. And we gave up Schneider for that pick. Mismanaged team

Did the article mention the most important stat? The one that's difficult to measure.

The one where Engelland tries to rip Hanks face off behind his net, and then Hank proceeds to apologize and then picks up Engelland's stick off the ice and hands it to him.

Just proves the character of Hank. Somebody trying to rip his face off isn't going to phase him. He's a nice guy on and off the ice and a world class hockey player. For his size he plays hard and effective. I could be wrong but I do believe most other elite players have tremendous respect for the Sedins (I also think Ben and Seguin feel like fools for trying to put them down). Every hockey player has his own character (skilled, clean, dirty, gritty, fighters, non-fighters, etc etc). It makes for great exciting hockey to watch the players play their roles or deviate from them.

I would assume that when all you do is carry the puck in the offensive zone looking for the "perfect pass" that the numbers would look great. But in reality, without that "perfect pass" what do they do? Yeah it's great that you can keep the puck in their zone for 45-90 seconds but when you only manage a shot or two off of it, it doesn't change anything if you're not producing a goal.

Boston, Chicago, LA,, St Louis, Detroit...

These are the best puck possession teams over the past five years. (Vancouver at the beginning of that 5 year span)

Datsyuk, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, the Sedins - among the best puck possession players over the past five years.

Clearly, corsi/puck possession is meaningless.

7072264583_07ab8ed5ef_z.jpg

I would assume that when all you do is carry the puck in the offensive zone looking for the "perfect pass" that the numbers would look great.

has nothing to do with corsi/puck possession - which ironically, is based upon shot attempts alone.

If carrying the puck and looking for the perfect pass was included in corsi/puck possession statistics, the Sedins numbers would not simply the best in the playoffs, but off the fn charts.

Ahhhhh,.... remember the good ol' days,... 2010 and 2011 when the Sedins were usually good for a few points a night, there was secondary scoring and the D stepped in and provided a few more goals.

I've been a big fan of the Sedin's ever since their first year in the league. Everybody ripped on them. They were the third line and all they did was "cycle the puck down low." Every time I heard someone rip on them for that, I would respond with "better than last years third line that was always back on their heels defensively and giving up goals."

My point being, I believe the Sedin's can still be impact players in this league now and for a few more years, however, it isn't a secret that we miss the secondary scoring and offence from the D that we had just a few short years ago.

I think a lot of fans realize that the Sedin's are the least of the Canucks problems in this series. In fact I'd say they have been some of our better players. The real Achilles heel (outside of Horvat) has been the support group who have all gone collectively cold at the exact same time.

Oh yeah..and the defense. If it wasn't for Edler and Tanev it would be a complete disaster in our own end.

But what's their +/-??

Absolute useless stat

I would assume that when all you do is carry the puck in the offensive zone looking for the "perfect pass" that the numbers would look great. But in reality, without that "perfect pass" what do they do? Yeah it's great that you can keep the puck in their zone for 45-90 seconds but when you only manage a shot or two off of it, it doesn't change anything if you're not producing a goal.

Do you even know what Corsi is? It's not enough to just have high possession time, you need to be generating shots too.

I think a lot of fans realize that the Sedin's are the least of the Canucks problems in this series. In fact I'd say they have been some of our better players. The real Achilles heel (outside of Horvat) has been the support group who have all gone collectively cold at the exact same time.Oh yeah..and the defense. If it wasn't for Edler and Tanev it would be a complete disaster in our own end.

Tanev and edler sucked in game three.

Corsi doesn't mean anything, over half of all hockey fans don't even know what it is/means.

Over half of hockey fans know very little about the game. (and from what I've seen, you certainly fit into that category)

That certainly doesn't mean that the opinion expressed above is in any way accurate.

Sedins have been ok. I wouldn't call your best 2 players (and your captain) only having a goal a piece 'not part of the problem', but they have been as good as any forward for either team, in what has become a very boring style of hockey series. Flames took early leads home both games and snuffed us out.

All the forwards have been average, for both teams.

The Flames have owned this series from the blueline.

Canucks D = 0 goals, 5 points.

Flames D = 3 goals, 11 points. 1 GWG.

This thread is an example of why the NHL renamed Corsi on its website to "Shot Attempt Differential". It's difficult for some people to learn what a stat means when it's given a name that is totally irrelevant to what it measures.

Fenwick is basically Corsi without blocked shots, hence the name "Unblocked Shot Attempt Differential". There really isn't anything advanced about these stats (it's really just like +/- for shot attempts), just really obscure names.

Did the article mention the most important stat? The one that's difficult to measure.

The one where Engelland tries to rip Hanks face off behind his net, and then Hank proceeds to apologize and then picks up Engelland's stick off the ice and hands it to him.

He got a -1 for that.

Corsi doesn't directly equal to win but it is the best proxy we have at the moment on player performance on the ice.

And this article basically tells us that the Sedins have been doing their part. So I think playing them 19, 20 minutes in tomorrow's game is a good idea. What's the point of keeping them fresh if the season is to end tomorrow?

And let's see if Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata line can be of help. My guess is they will. This was my thought after the Oilers game that Baertschi could be the difference maker in a series like this. I hope my guess is right.

If we had Matthias-Richardson-Kassian line intact, this series might have been very different. They could've provided that support to the Sedins.

After reading the article, I think an interesting line combo to try would be:

Sedin-Sedin-Kenins

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Matthias-McMillan

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

1. Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

They can hit and crash the net to create chances. Dorsett is better than Kenins when it comes to going to the net and fighting for puck along the boards. We need to crash the net more so that's why I think this line combo will work well.

-Sedin-Sedin-Kenins

Most people think that Vrbata is the answer and I do think so too but then, this would make the second line weaker. But as stated in the article, the Sedins need support. So that's why I think Vrbata stays on the second line hoping that the chemistry between Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata that we saw against Edmonton can be repeated. If it does, we will win this game.

Kenins was chosen mainly because I think of him as Burrows light. He has decent amount of skill to keep the puck in the zone whereas Hansen doesn't. I've seen Kenins keep the play alive while playing with Horvat and Hansen many times and I think he can do the same playing with the Sedins. Plus, he has decent shot.

I'd be game to try this

Archived