The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ekblad, Gaudreau, Stone voted Calder Trophy finalists

Apples

Stone was actually a really good defensive player for the Sens as well. So I can definitely stand behind Stone winning the Calder.

I would also be happy if Ekblad won the Calder, the kid has been phenomenal on a horribad Panthers team.

Johnny Hockey's skill set is amazing, but I feel like he lacks the defensive prowess Stone possess, and Ekblad's more than solid play.

I don't think age should really factor into it. What Crosby did, as an 18 year old, was historic and more impressive than what OV did, as a 20 year old rookie (who had already been playing in a professional league), but #8 still won the Calder. But, results matter more than context, IMO (not that Ekblad didn't get the results, either).

As much as I like Ekblad, Stone had the biggest impact on his team. The kid was just clutch, especially down the stretch, and is one of the biggest reasons the Sens even made the playoffs. It wasn't just how many points he put up... it was when he put them up and how. The kid is a complete gamer and plays a MUCH more complete game the Gaudreau. He lead the league in takeaways, played in every situation (PK, last minute... up or down a goal) and was top 5 in the league in points in 2015.

All 3 have been incredible this season, but the fact that Ekblad came in as an 18 year old and really dominated, he would be my pick.

Imagine what Calgary would have been like if they had Bennett as he's playing now and Gaudreau going all season long?

I'd vote for Stone, he was a huge part of their playoff push and has been incredibly valuable to the Sens

i vote gaudreau.... i feel better losing or winning against two top rookies with the flames... that being gaudreau and bennett...

All three are deserving of it. I won't be disappointed with whomever ends up winning it.

Side note. While he didn't deserve to be a finalist, Kevin Hayes is going to be one hell of a player for the Rangers.

It's a good debate, certainly, but my vote goes to Ekblad. Think of how many 18 year old D-men put up stud seasons like that. For goodness sakes, he was 2 shy of Bobby Orr's record in a much tighter defensive era with better goaltending. I'm sorry, but that HAS to be appreciated, otherwise the calder should just be renamed to "Rookie Scoring Trophy".

Archived