The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 forward strategy ?

TheFirstLine

With a dire need to score in this series versus Calgary I think if a situation Arises in game 6 where the Canucks are down by a goal in the third, Willie should try the 4 forwards 1 defenseman strategy. It has worked a few times in the past against good teams and I believe he should try this again atleast once if the team is struggling to get a goal in the 3rd. What do you guys think?

I think people should stop making a thread the second something comes to mind.

I've been sitting on this thought for awhile now. That strategy has hemmed other teams in there zone almost every time it has been used. I mean if nothing else works then why not try it. Flames won't expect it and could very possibly work. Thanks for the bright input though.

With a dire need to score in this series versus Calgary I think if a situation Arises in game 6 where the Canucks are down by a goal in the third, Willie should try the 4 forwards 1 defenseman strategy. It has worked a few times in the past against good teams and I believe he should try this again atleast once if the team is struggling to get a goal in the 3rd. What do you guys think?

I think if a situation arises where the Canucks are having difficulty deciding what day to plan the Stanley Cup parade they should just plan it for an entire week and declare it a B.C. public holiday.

I've been sitting on this thought for awhile now. That strategy has hemmed other teams in there zone almost every time it has been used. I mean if nothing else works then why not try it. Flames won't expect it and could very possibly work. Thanks for the bright input though.

If this were the case, that almost every time it hems the other team in their zone, don't you think teams would ice 4 forwards and 1 defenseman for 60 minutes of the game?

If this were the case, that almost every time it hems the other team in their zone, don't you think teams would ice 4 forwards and 1 defenseman for 60 minutes of the game?

It's a bit disorienting for those who are used to the conventional 3-2 format.

Momentum and pressure matters, does it not? Just because it's a decent-odds risk in a short period of time at the end of a match doesn't mean it's a legitimate 60-minute strategy. Bear in mind that if the other team does get hemmed in a 6th man will replace the goalie, of course which increases the offensive-zone pressure.

The boys can do it, I remember how effective it was in getting our tying goal in our OT win against NYR during the season.

If you want to talk a solid strategy, take a look at the highlights from the Ottawa victory last night. They set up a triangle with 3 players (1 high, 2 wide) and 2 right in Price's kitchen. If anybody watched that game you could see it was highly effective. Price let in 5 goals and he could barely see any of them.

Unfortunately, we don't have a defenceman of Karlsson's calibre to be the last man back obviously, but it was incredible to see how well it worked. Net presence will beat a hot goalie every time.

I personally don't mind the Sedin's cycle game. It's been effective against Calgary. Trouble has been us getting shots through from the point.

What I would like to see is different systems from different lines. It takes a lot of skill to be able to set up behind the net and still get goal scoring. You need precise passing and while our 1st line is more than capable of that, or secondary scoring needs to come off of crashing the net.

I'd rather not see this happen, we need to go into the third with a 2-3 goal lead.

Playing 4 forwards on the PP has lead to a number of odd man rushes against and considering Burrows is our only forward that has D experience, I doubt that strategy is employed. Except for the klast minute, obv.

Archived