The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa

BMorrison 7

Not sure how this makes any sense. Even if you were right (I doubt you are) that our players are petty and unprofessional enough to not play their best just cause they think there is little chance of us resigning them, wouldnt that totally screw them for getting signed by a dif team? I mean even if we arent resigning them you'd think theyd bust their ass even harder to make sure some other team notices and signs them instead. If anything youd think itd light a fire under their butt.

Sorry K. That makes a bit too much sense for this thread. Can't you see this is a bashing thread?

Common sense has no place here.

Sbisa has top 4 NHL potential that is why Benning resigned him. Is contract is not out of line. Sbisa is not top 4 on the current roster so expectations should be tempered. His progress in Van this season has been steadily upward. His skating and physicality gives him a future upgrade. Who he plays with will always be important. He makes mistakes but the whole Van d-core make a lot of mistakes.

Weber's performance during playoffs and to end the season made me hesitate about his future with Canucks. As a UFA I suspect he will get offers that exceed the duration and money that Benning wants to pay. He will probably be gone. I would trade his rights quickly if he wants to wait for his UFA status. I thought Hartley identified Weber's potential going into the series and hit him continually. I was impressed by how he withstood that. He actually brought a little bite to his game. More than other veteran d-men did. All this aside I think he goes. Van has to bring bigger bodies into their d-core.

Had a rough playoff series, but is young @ 25 yrs. Can bang, decent skater. In a few years, should be a regular 2nd pairing (imo), with the right coaching and influence.

To pigeon hole Sbisa for his poor play would be wrong, as the defence on whole played poorly, but I think that had more to do with Calgary's forecheck and steady pressure and our forwards doing a poor job of backchecking. I do however, believe that pointing out his weaknesses is fair. To say he "sucks" is a pretty broad statement and doesn't tell the whole story.

Not sure how this makes any sense. Even if you were right (I doubt you are) that our players are petty and unprofessional enough to not play their best just cause they think there is little chance of us resigning them, wouldnt that totally screw them for getting signed by a dif team? I mean even if we arent resigning them you'd think theyd bust their ass even harder to make sure some other team notices and signs them instead. If anything youd think itd light a fire under their butt.

The players clearly didn't play with the same intensity as they did during marquee games during the regular season. In fact, games 3 and 4 showed a team that was lazy and uninspired.

Signing players can wait until their entire seasons body of work is complete, so that a review is thorough. Sbisa had improved his game from the absolutely horrendous beginning to a 5th to 6th defenseman's game. However, he was a complete non factor in the playoffs. He had just been signed, and took the post season off displaying little to no urgency.

Guys like Matthias and Higgins looked invisible during the 6 games, and also showed zero urgency. They saw the money committed to Dorsett, and knowing that they hadn't been tapped for a new contract, they floated.

Spezza, Riberio, and others are fine examples of players playing well below their potential who still garner interest from other teams.

It's just not as simple as you'd like to make it out to be. And please for the love of mergatroid, spell check!

Had a rough playoff series, but is young @ 25 yrs. Can bang, decent skater. In a few years, should be a regular 2nd pairing (imo), with the right coaching and influence.

To pigeon hole Sbisa for his poor play would be wrong, as the defence on whole played poorly, but I think that had more to do with Calgary's forecheck and steady pressure and our forwards doing a poor job of backchecking. I do however, believe that pointing out his weaknesses is fair. To say he "sucks" is a pretty broad statement and doesn't tell the whole story.

Same age as Drew Doughty, P.K. Subban, and one year older than Erik Karlsson. Age is no excuse

Same age as Drew Doughty, P.K. Subban, and one year older than Erik Karlsson. Age is no excuse

False. Not all defenseman develop at the rate of the 3 elite defenseman.

I raise you Chara, Mitchell, Boyle, 3 defenseman who became top dmen after turning 25/26.

So while age isn't an excuse, defenseman can take longer to develop.

False. Not all defenseman develop at the rate of the 3 elite defenseman.

I raise you Chara, Mitchell, Boyle, 3 defenseman who became top dmen after turning 25/26.

So while age isn't an excuse, defenseman can take longer to develop.

Well I raise you a Weber, Burns, and Suter.

I cannot believe JB signed him to this deal, turnover machine, falling down giving odd man rushes, I cannot stand his play.

No wonder Calgary targeted him, I am picturing him at the world championships or olympics playing for Italy in his Italian hockey uniform serving up pizzas in the slot, goalies worst nightmare, get rid of Sbisa pleasssssse

I have been saying it all season long, Sbisa is awful. He doesn't belong in the NHL. He makes stupid passes up the middle, he is weak along the boards and frequently loses his check. Him and Bieksa together cost us the playoffs. Runner up is Weber. His only plus is offense and when he didn't provide that, he shouldn't have stayed in the lineup. Let alone in a top 4 capacity.

Back to Sbisa, his contract was mind blowing. 2 years ago I would have been for it. But after watching him play all season, and not get any better, I have to sincerely question the staff's sanity.

Too much loyalty?

Archived