The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Changes needed

Carl's Jn

kassian + sbisa + hamhuis to boston for dougie hamilton

Trade higgins, miller and some others

Benning find a way to get into top 5 in the draft to add an elite talent to horvat, virtanen to be able to compete againsts flames young talents and oilers soon to be great young core.

And btw, please please please find a way to trade Bieksa....all talk nothing more. The guy that he called a moron owned him all series LOL

Yeah I have to agree with you. Bieksa definitely needs to go. I saw several instances where he could have easily moved up the puck to the forward by just skating a few inches and passing. Yet, he chooses to receive the puck while standing still and passes the puck too late and get hit by Fergland. Like for gods sakes bieksa, you had a good 10-15 seconds of time to move the puck while standing still and probably 5 seconds more if you moved your feet. And yet, you let Fergland hit and complain about it? Holy S#it just move your feet and you will get hit less.... DAM...

OK, you actually put some thought into this, so this will be designated the "what needs to be done" deal.

Not saying I agree with it, just that I'll leave this as "the" thread.

In that case, the main thing that needs to be done is a revamped defense. Tanev and Edler are a very good pairing. I'm willing to see what a Hamhuis can do when 100% healthy (I bet he spent most of this season playing injured). Other than that, the rest need to be way better.

And this is why I wanted the tank, this roster couldn't even beat the Flames.

I wanted the tank but I waited to see how the season played out, now that it's over the final judgement can be made and this team should have tanked.

This roster was a joke and it's only getting worse, who the heck is gonna be on this team's top lines.

33 years old

33 years old

33 years old

33 years old

31 years old

26 years old

This is garbage I didn't want to watch this team old man and this pathetic effort was a terrible trade for losing out on a high end prospect.

The tank was the way to go, they blew it. Horvat was more enjoyable to watch in this series than the entire top 2 lines. Gimmie some darn youth that has top line potential!

When you're up 3-0 and they score, and at that point you KNOW you're in trouble, you know your team needs changes.

To me the turning point of the game was the Sbisa turnover that led to the Flames first goal. It was completely unnecessary. All he needed to do was make a simple safe play. If Tanev or Hamhuis has the same play, nothing bad happens, the Flames do not turn the momentum around and the Canucks quite possibly get a comfortable win.

I would be optimistic but it really bothers me that Benning signed Sbisa for 3 years at 3.6 million a year. i am not convinced he belongs on the team at all, let alone at that price. He certainly has no business in the top 4.

I also do not like the Dorsett contract. Tonight Dorsett struggled (again). He plays hard and I am happy to have him on the team as a guy who provides toughness and heart and can play well enough to play on the 4th line without hurting the team. But almost 2.5 million a year for 4 years it too much and too long. And he also overpaid for Miller.

But the Sbisa contract was worse. In both cases the negotiation was very quick. And even the Tanev negotiation did not take long. It was like Benning did not want to take the time to do a careful job so he can get back to what he really likes -- scouting.

Personally, I would be happy to have Benning acting like, in effect, chief scout, running the draft, and handling the prospects. But I would rather have someone else negotiating contracts.

People keep saying, "We should be glad we made the playoffs". No, i don't give a sh*t. That was horrible, i'm sure the team is just as disappointed in themselves as we are in them. Sedins are not the problem.

Our problems....

1) No depth scoring. Vrbata, 5 million cap hit, did nothing this series. That's disgusting

2) We need someone on the point who is an offensive threat. We have none of that.

3) Defence is not good enough. Sbisa and Weber need to go. Sbisa is just no good, Weber has a nice shot, but that's not enough. Juice will go when his contract is up, or he'll be a Canuck for much cheaper, which is fine. Everyone else on D is fine.

4) We need a goaltender capable of playoff Hockey. Lack is not ready, doesn't matter how much ya'll love his personality, he's not ready. Miller's last good playoff run was 8 years ago, wth please.

5) Hitters. Other than Kassian, who was not even in this series, we have no physicality.

We had all that in the 2011 Cup run. Kesler for secondary scoring. Ehroff as a threat on the point. Our D was prime, Luongo was brilliant for most part, Torres, Maxim Lapieree, and Victor Oreskovich for hitting. Probably would've been champs if it wasn't for Hamhius and Manny Malhotra injury. But that's in the past, so whatever.

It'll be a while till we have all that to make a Cup run, and the team will look a lot different from what we have right now.

One good thing in this series, Horvat. Thank you Horvat for being promise.

The cup is what Vancouver needs, nothing less will do.

Cheer up bud, we over achieved this season and trevor and jim saw the same series we did, we are trending in the right direction i think and help is on the way. Remember... Utica is # 1 in their conference, that means gaunce, shinkaruk and many other propects are playing on a great team building a winning culture. Baer is heading back down to help them in the playoffs.

Garrison had a no trade and he got traded. the players who need to leave will leave.

I agree with ya.. i know changes have been made in the right direction.. we did get to the playoffs and we did finally win two home games in the playoffs... My point is the change needs to come from not the people entirely but the strategies and the decision making and the recognition of work ethic when it slows and when it starts... recognition that they just have to shoot the puck a whole lot quicker instead of taking so long ect... i do agree it is going the right way.. but other things have to change... the canucks never learn their lesson when they get a lead in a do or die game...

Willie D is an awsome coach, you dont know much about hockey do you?

You can't be a good coach if you get outcoached by a team with less talent than you. Calgary was the best matchup the Canucks could have hoped for. They were favored in the series.

They lost two games leading in the third. That's not a player problem. That's a coaching problem.

Willie D has to understand that he's part of the problem here - he either shapes up or ships out.

And this is why I wanted the tank, this roster couldn't even beat the Flames.

I wanted the tank but I waited to see how the season played out, now that it's over the final judgement can be made and this team should have tanked.

This roster was a joke and it's only getting worse, who the heck is gonna be on this team's top lines.

33 years old

33 years old

33 years old

33 years old

31 years old

26 years old

This is garbage I didn't want to watch this team old man and this pathetic effort was a terrible trade for losing out on a high end prospect.

The tank was the way to go, they blew it. Horvat was more enjoyable to watch in this series than the entire top 2 lines. Gimmie some darn youth that has top line potential!

I agree

There are two guys I was undecided about before the playoffs, who I think should be shown the door:

Matthias - Had flashes here and there, but overall not worth nearly the money he'll be seeking.

Weber - Was the weakest link in the D, and couldn't contribute on the PP with the tougher competition. Couldn't even tie up little Johnny in front of the net on the third goal (you know you're too weak for playoff hockey when...). As an RFA, with the year he had, may get us a decent pick via trade.

It may look bad tonite...but at least we're old.

Rejoice the fact that tis may be the closest we get to winning a playoff series in the next decade.

I should add FWIW.....the Sedins are 2 of the classiest human beings to ever play hockey. However, the chances of ever winning a playoff seies with them as you top players is zero.

Ferklund....yes Ferklund was more instrumental to his teams succcess in this series than either Sedin.

Sad but true..

Archived