The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Changes needed

Carl's Jn

Thanks Tips.

Jim Benning has his vision and this was his first season to evaluate the organization.

Implementing his vision isn't going to happen in one of season, in two, or in 3.

This is going to be a long-term re-tool since he wants to win at the same time.

This whole series I missed Kassian.

Yes. Kassian changes Ferland's disposition entirely. And Bollig's. He also probably adds some serious wear and tear to Wideman and Russell, and provides a sorely lacking net front presence. His effect on the team is seriously under-rated on these boards imo.

your closet man-crush on him is glaring through in your ongoing obsession.

Kass would have changed the complexion of this series in a serious and positive way for Vancouver.

I agree but he was out with an injury. In a way this loss gives good reason to ask some older vets to waive. If a player refuses to waive just sit them out or put then up for grabs on waivers.

Hope it works out for us tho. Bo had a great series look forward to seeing what he can do . Glad Baer could get some serious playing time in too. Be good for him to feel part of the team b4 next season.

Kenins and McMillan also both looked great. I agree with The boys on the 1040 post game show. It wasn't McMillans fault.

As many have said, this playoff / season was a year of evaluation and to make the playoffs. Pretty sure they have had countless meetings to decide on the path prior to the trading deadline and their decision to keep the team intact. Since they did not have their top player missing (like Nashville), I am sure these playoffs will now give JB a better reflection of their teams standing moving forward. It would not be a major overhaul but I do expect to see possibly several youngsters in the forward spots especially with Edmonton/ Calgary already in their youth movement. Their D still needs work and should be JB's first priority in the offseason - too much scrambling around in their own end and giving up leads even before today (Ottawa, LA) etc.

So, I'm sensing that the majority of the people would be okay with losing, as long as we change the core players and inject the team with youth?

There really is no choice, but the question is, woud you rather do it willingly or unwillingly?

If we are gonna get rid of Ds that are too slow, put Hammer in that list as well. Numerous times, he has caused scoring chances by not being able to catch up with the opponent.

In my point of view. Sbisa is not going anywhere, I do believe he needs a pairing like Tanev. Someone that can give him safety from all his turnovers. Bieksa and Sbisa is a bad pairing. BOTH turnover machines.

we just have a stubborn management who refuses to rebuild and just wants to be a first round team every year so aquillini can get playoff money every year.

Exactly, ones realizes this mediocre team will start losing paying fans in his arena. Hopefully he gives the go ahead for a full rebuild. A proper one. Not patching bits and pieces.

This was an evaluation year to see what the team is made of. This is a team JB and TL inherited and they will make the necessary changes.

The Canucks weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this year remember?

I trust management will evaluate what they have and do what they have to do get this team where they need to be.

Anyone who thought this team was winning the cup was very hopeful to say the least.

Be happy you got to cheer your team in the playoffs and look at the positives from this year.

JB said he would give the core a chance....he's done that and now he can start making those tough decisions ....

I see the season as a win.

Exactly, ones realizes this mediocre team will start losing paying fans in his arena. Hopefully he gives the go ahead for a full rebuild. A proper one. Not patching bits and pieces.

Yeah cause if they are losing fans now with a decent team I'm sure they will really, really want to make the team absolute garbage for 5 years and lose way more

You can't be a good coach if you get outcoached by a team with less talent than you. Calgary was the best matchup the Canucks could have hoped for. They were favored in the series.

They lost two games leading in the third. That's not a player problem. That's a coaching problem.

Willie D has to understand that he's part of the problem here - he either shapes up or ships out.

Yeah OK buddy that makes complete sense

The D was terrible all series but part of the problem was the forwards too. Most of the time forwards werent supporting the puck and werent in position to receive a pass from a D that would have been the simple and easy play. That kind of disconnect led to a lot of the turnovers that screwed us and a lot of the turnovers that are being blamed solely on our D. Massive disconnect and awkwardness between our D and forwards, that needs to change coming into next year

Canucks will never be contenders as long as Sedins are here. Look at Calgary it wasn't until they traded Iginla and moved on from other veterans that they started to gather prospects and start trending upward again.

Canucks are in a downward trend and should only get worse in 1,2, and 3 years. Is sneaking in the playoffs really worth it?

Why not just market your young stars and call it a "refresh" or a "retool" instead of a full on rebuild?

More than anything the Canucks biggest area of need is clearly d. Their goalies are decent enough with a better d in front of them.

The forwards can be supplamented via the draft or perhaps free agency.

D-men are the toughest to find in the draft is such a crap shoot when it comes to projecting d-men and it takes a long time usually for d to be NHL ready sometimes even longer than goalies.

Great d rarely become available in free agency and you have to overpay. Also hard to acquire them via trade.

Archived