The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Changes needed

Carl's Jn

Defence in deep doodoo. Team can't develop it's own d-men for the last decade.

We havent developed much of anything outside of goal in the last decade. Imagine how much stronger this team would be if we had picked up even half decent prospects while we were elite. I mean just look at Chicago for example, or Detroit.

twins aren't top players anymore.. they are on a decline and should be be on the second line... we need top players on our first line....

Ok PJ Stock

This pisses me off more and more every time I see this.

They are elite players in this league, you should be honoured to have them on your team, yet everyone disrespects the hell out of them.

Shame on you, especially a self proclaimed Canuck fan.

They need a puck moving Dman and maybe a second line to lean on. They do and did a lot with what they have.

Hasn't any one on this post commenting on Kassian looked at the injury list, he has been day to day since late in the season. Sounds like a concussion. Any one know for sure? I thought he was finally starting to show some promise this season, playing with the Sedins. I have thought they always needed somebody big on their line that could score too. Maybe he is not good on his own, but he would cetainly give the Sedins some more room out their. Too bad he couldn't play in this series. I think he could have given Ferland a run for his money.

Edler and Tanev aren't top-2 defencemen on a Cup contender. They're 20 minute, second pairing guys at best. Our defence is just so thin that we're forced to make these guys our cornerstones. Hamhuis is another legit top-4 defencemen on most teams but on a Cup contender he probably plays around or under 20 minutes.

As for Bieksa, he's a 15 minute guy on a deep Cup contending defence at best. Sbisa and Weber aren't even getting a sniff (just look at what the Ducks did to him).

We need better defensive star power, it's something we've lacked for a long time. The Canucks have never had that Norris-caliber defenceman, and we constantly get beaten by teams with one. Sure Calgary didn't have one, but their defence did a better job shutting down our forwards than our defence did to theirs. Russel, Wideman and Brodie were fantastic in the series and are all putting up huge offensive and defensive numbers whereas our defencemen are all average at best in every aspect of the game.

If we can nab a defensive star somehow, we suddenly become a Contender by bumping everyone down the depth chart.

Cody Franson is set to become a UFA and after a pretty average end to the season by Nashville, they may well let him go. Sign him for a 2 year, 5M deal and get rid of some of our rubbish cap waste to fit him in.

Edler - Franson

Hamhuis - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton

Defence in deep doodoo. Team can't develop it's own d-men for the last decade.

It doesn't help when our two highest drafted ones were in serious motor vehicle accidents (one death, other severely hampered development).

Canucks had to be stubborn this season.

Only year to tank and they didnt. Instead chose to lose a frustrating 1st rd vs the flames. Overpaid for players for a quick fix. Everyone knew it wasnt the canucks year anyway.

This old core is done. What happens when canucks draft in top 10 in a deep draft - answer is Horvat, the only good thing about this season. Could have pick a top 10 in another deep draft again if they only had tanked.

Benning need to find a way to get into top 5 even top 10 this draft to add an elite talent to horvat, virtanen to be able to compete vs flames young talents and oilers soon to be great young core.

It is a young guys league, Benning needs to decide who out of the veterans are useful and move on from the rest.

Flames didn't even have their Norris candidate defenceman.

At the minimum they need two tough minded/hard nosed defencemen, a strong defensive center who can win draws, and a versatile winger who can create havoc and contribute offensively.

They also need a new leadership voice...overall, it is decent but something is missing from this group.

Love these guys but the Canucks need to trade Burrows, Bieksa, and Sbisa.

Danny - Hank - Kassian

Virtanen/Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - xxx

Dorsett - xxx - Hansen/Kenins

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - xxx

xxx - Corrado

I'm not sure about contracts but if they can get something for Edler , try and get a big leader on defense.

Weber is a horrible defenseman who rarely gets that big shot away so he shouldn't be on the team next year especially with a reliable guy like Carado in the farm.

If they don't make major changes on the defense core expect a repeat of this year .

OK, you actually put some thought into this, so this will be designated the "what needs to be done" deal.

Not saying I agree with it, just that I'll leave this as "the" thread.

I'm sure this process will be going on in the Canucks executive offices ASAP. "Where are we and where do we want to go...and what do we have to do to get there?"

I agree this a more constructive thread than whining and gnashing your teeth. This will be the first day of our campaign to win the cup. It's the only constructive attitude to take...IMO. Everything else is in the rearview mirror except the history which we can learn from. I've found you often learn more from your mistakes than your successes. Just try to limit repeating those mistakes. Nuff said. GCG.

I look at a guy like Dan Hamhuis - contending teams could start a bidding war over a guy like that at the trade deadline. Time to move him is next year while he is still effective.

Bieksa would be a great depth pickup for a team looking to make a long run in the east. Would he wave his no trade to go to NY, Pittsburgh etc?

If the price was right I would even look at moving Tanev.

I am going off an emotional feeling right now, but i believe things need still to change. A 3-0 lead and a 4-3 lead and they can't even get into overtime with the flames on a do or die game. In my mind something has to come from leadership(the captain, the coach, the president, or even the General Manager). You can clearly see the canucks stop skating and get out worked when they had a 3-0 lead... Henrik Sedin in an interview just said we didn't play to our standards... what the hell why why not in a do or die game... The twins for the most part all the time actually play a peripheral game and always no one is in front of the net. Our team is old and can't skate anymore... Defense is horrible just horrible. Willie D should of realized that our back end is weak and shortened the bench... I know changes won't come easy... they have to ride out contracts develop some more young talent... but for the love of god someone please recognize the canucks tendencies... I can't give flames credit for what they did because our team stopped trying.. Should Willie make a change in goal when the flames tied it 3-3? why didn't he. How the hell did we lose that game... same reason we have players that can't work or management that spots that...

On Defense

Sbisa- needs to go. way too many turnovers and the ducks probably knew that about him.

Bieska- old and is fading away... need to ride out his contract.

weber- way to slow... good shot but clearly not fast enough.

Edler- too many slashing penalties... weak shots no offense from him

hamius- still good

tanev- still good

twins aren't top players anymore.. they are on a decline and should be be on the second line... we need top players on our first line....

never seems to be any urgency with the team on rushes... certain style is so lame ... need players that can crash the net more...

vrbata or bonino ok as regular season guys.. but playoffs.. not that great

bo horvat... stud... what a stud.. reminds me of a young trevor linden.

miller and lack... didn't matter who was in net the team just stopped playing... both are good goalies.

anyways... done venting.. some changes have to made... can't sit back and be happy with this result... its shameful. many fans have faded away from the 2011 cup run... same old stuff we tried we just couldn't do it....

cheers ! can't wait till draft day.

I agree with you 16 the other thing I would like to add is the fringe players did not play to expectations; Higgins, Matthias, Dorsett were ineffective and I expected them to "turn it up" during the playoffs and it did not happen. Some of theses players can be replaced by rookies to free up cap space next year. I agree about Weber and Sbisa, I thought they showed potential in the regular season but looked awful in the post season.

Bo sure looks like a young Linden, he will be the Captain on this team soon. I would like to see what he can do with players with offensive talent like Vrbata. I think the Sedin's did OK this post season but they definitely need help from others to lead this team.

Mental toughness is still a major problem. How can you not hold a 3-0 lead? Why would you let up in the playoffs? Maybe we need a true "Energy line" a line that will hit on a consistant basis.

WD made some mistakes but that is to be expected by a rookie NHL coach, most problems still have to lie with the core of this team.

Somehow we lost the effectiveness of rolling 4 lines,who each could put the puck in the net, which is mostly due to so many players who are inconsistant.

Some tinkering still needs to be made and I am confident in the managements ability to make it so.

So, I'm sensing that the majority of the people would be okay with losing, as long as we change the core players and inject the team with youth?

Losing with a team that plays their guts out would be fine.

Losing while watching players do the minimum to keep their spots is not

I've said it before, it's a rebuild. And it can't be done all at once.

Draft and develop is the way it is done but, it takes 5 years for drafted players to be effective NHLers if they make it.

In the meantime, Benning is trying to continue being competitive and is succeeding after year 1. They made the playoffs. If you were told that the Canucks would make the playoffs last October, half the posters here would have called you nuts. It just bites that they lost to the Flames.

Benning added to team depth on the bottom 6, gave us a legit 1st line and solid goaltending. What we know now is who will be the 2C in the future. Bo Horvat progressed unbelievably well and he became fast. Love those end to end rushes. We haven't seen that since you know who.

I expect some help on D to be added over the summer and some tweaking here and there but I really believe Benning has them on the right track.

Archived