The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

These are pretty much the same players (other than Kassian) who couldn't get it done vs Calgary in the first round. No way Bennings and Linden stand pat with them. The fans wouldn't stand for it.

No way?

Its not only possible, but high % likely!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

^^ And that said our number one priority should be improving the D.

Talent pool, size and athleticism. We have a host of candidates to make the team over the next few years. Hutton, Tryamkin, now Subban, Corrado and Clendenning in particular. But none, save Tryamkin who is prob not ready and has some questions to answer first, solve any of the current matchup issues we face. Maybe Pedan will make it? Our PMD prospects all have asterisks of some sort associated as well... We are lacking in both a big physical player and a talent player that creates opportunities.

Funny. We just do not hear Lindenning talking about improving our D with any urgency?

No way?

I think it's highly likely we see new forwards as well as dmen. It's just my view that fans would be upset if we went into next season with the same group of forwards. Am I not allowed to say that? Obviously we did not get secondary scoring nor did we have enough grit vs Calgary. No way am I suggesting I would quit following the Nucks so don't be an ass about it.

Yeswecan

Of course you're allowed to say that you think Benning will bring in other forwards. That's your opinion. It's not mine. Agree to disagree.

I agree with Canuck Surfer. I think that the real priority is on D which was exposed in the Calgary series. If they bring in a UFA or make a trade, I think it will be a top 4 D-man.

I think it's highly likely we see new forwards as well as dmen. It's just my view that fans would be upset if we went into next season with the same group of forwards. Am I not allowed to say that? Obviously we did not get secondary scoring nor did we have enough grit vs Calgary. No way am I suggesting I would quit following the Nucks so don't be an ass about it.

You said the fans would not stand for it. Its a shortsighted look IMO.

We have 6 first round pick's waiting to get on the Top 6 bus who have not made the squad yet;

Jensen

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

McCann

Virtanen

Baertschi

In addition to guys, meat and potatoes guys with some muscle at that, on our main club battling to get higher in the line up;

Horvat

Kassian

Between Horvat, Virtanen and Kassian, I am pretty sure your beef issue on the top 6 will resolve itself soon.

Add to it;

Kenins

Grenier

Vey

Cassels

In reality it was our D who got abused by Calgary handling the fore-check and the pressure. Where Clendenning and Corrado, our most ready D men are less likely to offer the pedigree, or stature to equalize the physical match ups either.

Up front we have solutions coming. Our defence is just that much farther off & with less answers. I suppose you are welcome to your opinion in spite of what sits in front of us...

You said the fans would not stand for it. Its a shortsighted look IMO.

We have 6 first round pick's waiting to get on the Top 6 bus who have not made the squad yet;

Jensen

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

McCann

Virtanen

Baertschi

In addition to guys, meat and potatoes guys with some muscle at that, on our main club battling to get higher in the line up;

Horvat

Kassian

Between Horvat, Virtanen and Kassian, I am pretty sure your beef issue on the top 6 will resolve itself soon.

Add to it;

Kenins

Grenier

Vey

Cassels

In reality it was our D who got abused by Calgary handling the fore-check and the pressure. Where Clendenning and Corrado, our most ready D men are less likely to offer the pedigree, or stature to equalize the physical match ups either.

Up front we have solutions coming. Our defence is just that much farther off & with less answers. I suppose you are welcome to your opinion in spite of what sits in front of us...

I agree that there is some promise in the young guys coming up. They might be the solution in the long term but I doubt that they make an immediate impact next season (isn't that what we were talking about?), enough to improve the team from the past season. There will be the necessary learning curve as these young players adapt to the NHL game.

There's no question our main weakness is on defense. That was exposed by Calgary. There will certainly be upgrades back there. But I still maintain that the Canucks need to upgrade up front too, not just from within the organization, but either through trade or free agency. Only time will tell if they do.... and whether my OPINION is shortsighted.

Pedan and the longer shot Tryamkin are a physical presence on D but Pedan may be a year away.

I would like to see D drafted in the first round but that player would realistically be at least 3 years before making the NHL.

The PMD would presumably be traded for or a UFA.

^^ And that said our number one priority should be improving the D.

Talent pool, size and athleticism. We have a host of candidates to make the team over the next few years. Hutton, Tryamkin, now Subban, Corrado and Clendenning in particular. But none, save Tryamkin who is prob not ready and has some questions to answer first, solve any of the current matchup issues we face. Maybe Pedan will make it? Our PMD prospects all have asterisks of some sort associated as well... We are lacking in both a big physical player and a talent player that creates opportunities.

Funny. We just do not hear Lindenning talking about improving our D with any urgency?

They know the D is old and slow. They arent stupid. It can probably hold for another year but after that we will need help. We arent getting one of the big 3 dmen in this draft so we better just go BPA and make a trade if we have to.

They know the D is old and slow. They arent stupid. It can probably hold for another year but after that we will need help. We arent getting one of the big 3 dmen in this draft so we better just go BPA and make a trade if we have to.

What's BPA?

Our D needs to get bigger and younger and faster. Corrado and Clendenning are good but won't cut it.

• 2 months later...

Tystick

I agree that the 2nd line is a concern but I think that Benning already has the players in the system who will be taking the 2C and 2LW positions when they are ready. Until then, Bonino and Higgins aren't going to let us down defensively at least.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Bonino Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

to be replaced by:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Burrows

at some point during the season

These are pretty much the same players (other than Kassian) who couldn't get it done vs Calgary in the first round. No way Bennings and Linden stand pat with them. The fans wouldn't stand for it.

No way?

Do you wanna rethink that?

And I reiterate.... I was not suggesting I would stop following the Canucks (I've been a fan since day 1 of the team). I only meant that there would be an outcry among the fans if the Nucks returned with the same lineup that couldn't get past the first round. And there was (when there were no moves at the draft).

Archived