The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

A lot of the problems from the post 2011 team still have to be fixed.

These are all wishful thinking on my part.

1) Re vamping the D core and maybe moving some of the vets (if they wave the NTC/NMC.

2) The only problem i have with Tanev's game is he gets thrown around like a rag doll out there some times.I would love if he put on another 10 or even 15 pounds in the off season.

3)The Sedins (they do enough already) it would be nice if they would shoot more (i know Danny got the game winner in game 5) but i really would be nice to see them shoot more.

4)Drafting,Elder and Hansen are the only players the Canucks have drafted in the last 10 years that are in our everyday line up. This has got to change and it has somewhat with the fine play of Horvat.But all the years that we didn't draft well have left the farm kinda light.Until Jensen,Gaunce, and a few of the other high pick prove themselves at the NHL level that will be all they are is just picks.

5) Zack's improved play after he finally started to get it this year.This guy has all the tools to stick with the team and i really hope during the off season he doesn't forget the lessons he learned.The physical game is fine ,it's the mental one that Zack has to continue to work on.

6) Puck moving D man, another strong finisher and a big mean SOB to clear the front of the net.(The other 29 teams have the same problems to some extent that Vancouver has ,so we are not alone.)

Ultimately I will say exactly what I said at the beginning and in the middle of the season and at the deadline.

Championship teams know what they are. The big bad bruins, the deep systems play of the kings, the hair on fire in your face arrogance of the Blackhawks

We are a team that really doesn't have an identity. Not particularly fast, not particularly big, not that great at puck possession when Sedins aren't on ice, good but not great at defence, forward and in goal. Poor on faceoffs and full of small grit players and playmakers with very few finishers. Don't do a great job of getting there on the forecheck and an awful job of putting someone in front of the net.

Some good but not great prospects coming, Virtanen being really the only potential great finisher. There is a reason Benning seems to be in on any trade where a big name comes up. This core where they are in their careers is no longer championship caliber. They are playoff contenders, but don't have the depth and extra gear to win.

Banning did very good job filling huge holes in the organization. Adding young pros in mid 20s. We had 2 in the organization that looked like may be pros in Corrado and Jensen (big if there). No one was giving away elite young players and he did the best he could. Too bad we couldn't find a Forsberg for Erat type deal. He will keep fishing and likely anyone not named Bo is fair game. We know he is not shy about making trades. Would like to see similar turnover as last year but first something needs to be defined:

What kind of team are we?

I do not think that real hockey people like Linden, Benning, Desjardin lost their grasp of what the Canucks are over the course of a season. Very few last fall had any great ambitions for this roster. This roster was never a serious CUP contender so making playoffs was a bonus. The only advantage I saw was the experience it gave the younger players.

I have questioned for many years the impact the Twins have had on Canuck hockey. Their skill level has dominated the approach the overall team has taken on the ice. Finesse has trumped physical play as the standard. Finesse is a very appealing visual but I suggest it is more applicable to regular season play. It cannot be excluded from playoffs but it usually does not dominate outcomes.

What should Benning do? IMHO all he has to do is look at the up and coming teams for direction. The NHL is simply getting bigger. The Oilers have gone for finesse talent, which is important, but they get run over as a result. I expect Benning to bring more size to the roster. As I said all season Van's biggest weakness was in their d-zone. I expect a major trade to address this. A deal that gives Van a potential top 2 dman over time.

The biggest positive from the season was the emergence of Bo Horvat. He is obviously a player Van can build a team around. As much as I hoped that Schneids would have been the Canuck tender into the future, Horvat is more than compensation as a #9 pick. This is why I called for Miller's trade back in January. At that time he had enough cred to have returned a 1st Rounder to Van. That would have been a tough call by Benning and probably impossible in the Van market but it was a real solution long term. I suspect the possible return has diminished significantly now. Other than Horvat's emergence I consider Lack's season as the 2nd biggest development for the Canucks.

Was this the development that Canuck management were looking for anyways? Since the Canucks were not serious contenders anyways Benning can now make some dramatic moves that fandom might not have accepted before. Miller has to be moved along with some veteran skaters both up front and I suspect a top 4 dman. I do not consider any of the top 4 exempt. It will all be about what comes back.

Really? Miller at 6? Bieksa at 4.6??? Burrows at 4.5? Not sure in what universe those are good contracts

The CDC universe lol

Edit: its also the same universe where the reason we don't win the cup every year is because Gary bettman hates the canucks and a large part of his life revolves around making sure we don't win lord Stanley's mug

Try and get rid of the old-timers starting with Bieksa, Hamuseless, Higgens, Burrows! Won't be easy with the NTC's but maybe simply threatening them to be sent down to Utica will be required. No matter they ALL MUST GO! (Especially Bieksa & Hamuseless)

I'm sure Benning has a bunch of things on his mind after watching this team implode last night.

Two things I really hope he tries to find:

1. A RH center to replace Richardson

-Sedin, Horvat and Bonino will likely be the three, but it was very obvious this season that one of the reasons why the team struggled with faceoffs was that they didn't have a right-handed center (unless you count Vey, which clearly didn't pan out).

2. A puck-moving defensemen - whether on the trade market or free agent market. The Canucks have been missing one since Ehrhoff left (he's UFA this year, but I doubt Benning is interested), and it would help so much with a lot of zone entries and possession time. Clendening was tried for a short while, and maybe next year they give him a longer look, but Benning needs to change the personality of the defense, which has continued to struggle (Hamhuis and Bieksa both could benefit from a fresh start somewhere else, as they appeared throughout the season to have been struggling).

Once Benning addresses the problems on defence, this team will be good to go in a few years.

This year showed that the Sedins still can be legitimate first line players for a couple of more years, I still think they've lost a bit of their killer instinct, but having said that, they do not deserve any of the blame. This year also showed that our defence is getting old, and needs a change. The same can be said for some of our fringe top-6 forwards.

The goalie situation will be tricky, I still think we should ride with Miller for at least one more year. However, with goalies like Markstrom and the emergence of Lack, Benning is going to have to make a decision soon on these three. Hopefully next year, we'll see a good one-two punch in net with Lack and Miller, much like what we saw with Schneider and Luongo.

Hopefully Benning will move some veterans out and re-claim some of the draft picks he traded away, and somehow, pick up a couple of more mobile, offensively-minded defencemen, whether it be through a draft or trade.

Bottom line, it was disappointing, but it was an excellent year considering the fisaco in 2013-2014. Can't wait to see some more young blood in the lineup next year. And hopefully that will come by replacing some veterans on this team. If the Sedins can continue to play like they did this year next season, and young guys like Horvat and Baetschi begin to breakout, the Canucks will have a very scary line-up next year, and if not, in a couple.

It's a lot of hoping, but it's all definitely possible.

Sign Mcquaid or Gryba for a physical right shooting D man.

Look at adding someone with size and some decent speed to add grit to the 4th line.

Dorsett should be on the 4th line aswell, good guy, wasnt too impressed that he didnt stand up for the guys a bit more in the playoffs as he is our guy for doing that sadly...

Look at asking a couple guys with NTC to waive or send a list of acceptable teams.

Resign Richardson if he is willing to be 4th C

4th line of Richie Dorsett and a winger with size who hits

#1) Revamping the defense to get more speed and playmaking ability, can't always just chip puck up the boards, you have to be able to beat a guy and make a play once in a while...

Trading Bonino would be helpful as well. We need a center who can skate. He is a liability currently.

And the lack of another top 6 forward has been plaguing us for a while now, hopefully Kassian will continue to develop his game or else we are still looking...

I'm sure Benning has a bunch of things on his mind after watching this team implode last night.

Two things I really hope he tries to find:

1. A RH center to replace Richardson

-Sedin, Horvat and Bonino will likely be the three, but it was very obvious this season that one of the reasons why the team struggled with faceoffs was that they didn't have a right-handed center (unless you count Vey, which clearly didn't pan out).

2. A puck-moving defensemen - whether on the trade market or free agent market. The Canucks have been missing one since Ehrhoff left (he's UFA this year, but I doubt Benning is interested), and it would help so much with a lot of zone entries and possession time. Clendening was tried for a short while, and maybe next year they give him a longer look, but Benning needs to change the personality of the defense, which has continued to struggle (Hamhuis and Bieksa both could benefit from a fresh start somewhere else, as they appeared throughout the season to have been struggling).

Would Michael Del Zotto work?

Admit mistakes and get rid of Sbisa , Miller and trade most of the core.

Find a way to move up to top 5 even top 10 at the draft.

Only year to tank and they didnt. Instead chose to lose a frustrating 1st rd vs the flames. Overpaid for players for a quick fix. Everyone knew it wasnt the canucks year anyway.

What happens when canucks draft in top 10 in a deep draft - answer is Horvat, the only good thing about this season. Could have pick a top 10 in another deep draft again if they only had tanked.

Need another elite talent to be able to compete vs flames young talents and oilers soon to be great young core.

assuming nashville plans on re-signing franson (they wouldn't really do that to shea twice, would they?), they have plenty of offense on defence but need a stable defensive minded guy.

hamhuis back to nashville (where he has roots, charities and so on) for either ryan ellis or seth jones, whichever they're willing to part with.

josi-weber

hamhuis-franson

ekholm-ellis/Jones

bieksa and linden vey's rfa rights to toronto for tyler bozak.

higgins for a 2nd, weber's rfa rights for a 3rd.

miller to say jose for matt nieto, 2nd, 3rd.

sign or trade for physical left side 2ND pairing defensive dman.

sedin-sedin-kassian

burrows-bozak-vrbata

nieto-horvat-hansen

kenins-bonino-dorsett

edler-tanev

ufa/trade-ellis/jones

sbisa-corrado

stanton-clendening

lack

markstrom

if any of the prospects look good enough in camp and preseason, move out vets (burrows, vrbata, bonino, even kassian) to accommodate them.

i'd ideally like to see cole cassels as 4th line center instead of bonino.

I'm telling you right now that none of those trades would ever happen.

Would Michael Del Zotto work?

I myself would be all over this, sure he will make mistakes, but he brings that offensive element we need from the back end. Problem is our 3rd pairing lefty Sbisa just got extended and for a brutal cap hit.

If we would have qualifed sbisa or moved him at the draft i with del Zotto would be a great target for 3rd pairing with PP QB time

Archived