The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat, 2nd line center!

pipperoni

horvat is a good 2way center. He could be the #2 guy. Bonino down to 3rd line might gain a weaker opponent and give him more chances to produce offensively.

We do roll the lines alot so regardless not like were taking or adding a ton of minutes to either guy. Horvat seems to have better wheels than bonino, so might be beneficial to us. Just gotta give horvat some good wingers otherwise ppl will bash him for not producing higher pt totals

Call both Horvat and Bonino into the same room and tell them "Whoever is better come season time, Will start on the 2nd line "

It'll get them both to hopefully improve in the offseason knowing a 2C role is at stake

You guys are wrong about Bonino, but whatever, I'm done trying to explain to you guys that Bonino is an acceptable 2C. If you don't already know, you'll never learn.

It's already been said, Bonino is a bottom-tier 2C, Horvat is a developing prospect who has proven he is reliable playing in the bottom 6. If he has a good offseason and a training camp then why the hell wouldn't you start him at 2C next season.

You guys are wrong about Bonino, but whatever, I'm done trying to explain to you guys that Bonino is an acceptable 2C. If you don't already know, you'll never learn.

You're right. He is an acceptable 2C. But he's also a really good 3C. Do you want acceptable, or really good? Up to you.

Everybody complains about having three third lines but they all want Bonino gone. Our lineup would not look very pretty with him gone. He has a low cap hit and if he is made available, you can bet every contender would be calling about him. This is the problem we have, Bonino is making $1.9 million, but you guys want him to play like a $5-6 million 2nd line center. Higgins is a $2.5 million guy but you guys expect him to be a offensive stud. Hansen is a $1.5 million dollar guy but you guys expect him to have $6 million hands. These guys are what they are.

Now back on track. I can honestly see Horvat being that 2nd guy. Maybe not in the beginning of next year, but by the end of the season, he can be that guy. He has made the most of every opportunity he has been given. He has packed on a lot of muscle, he has improved his skating by a tonne. He's too smart, and too hard working to not be able to play the role. We all know he's excellent defensively, but he has been making plays all year that has been impressive. Give this guy a shot

I would love to see him be the best third line centre in the league to be honest. He could totally play second line centre , but imagin a Cooke sutter Kennedy type third line here

We would be so lucky to have him turn into a Jordan staal type player

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Hansen - Horvat - Kenins/Baert

HITTER - Richie/Prospect - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hammer - Corrado

Stanton - Sbisa

Miller

Lack

Goners: Higgins, Mathias, Bieksa, Richie/?

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata/Kassian/Burrows

Baertschi - Trade/Horvat - Kassian/Vrbata

Burrows/Kenins/Prospect - Rich/Horvat - Hansen

Kenins/Prospect - Rich/Gaunce - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hammer - Corrado

Stanton/Trade - Sbisa

Out -> Bonino, Higgins, Bieksa... + Maybe Burrows or Sbisa depending on return.

Promote -> Horvat, Guance, Corrado

Trade Bonino++( Higgins, Bieksa, Prospect etc) for either a legit 2nd line center and use Horvat and Richie/Guance for your bottom 6 centers. If you can't get a center in return, get the best available return and promote Horvat. Keep Richardson for your third line and give Gaunce the 4th line. Burrows could be packaged, or moved instead of Higgins. Bieksa should be moved if a decent return is there.

Wishful thinking and having 2 young centers might not be ideal, but I can't watch this team in the playoffs with Bonino as the 2nd line center. If a team like the Ducks can't find a way to win with him on their 2nd, I don't see how we can.

Assuming no major trades and that no rookies make the team, I'd be happy with:

Line 1 -

~ 18-19 mins

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

= Twins showed that they can still carry the offense, BUT its time to really start developing the next wave

Line 2a -

~ 15 mins

Hansen/Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

= Solid secondary line, perhaps more defensively sound than offensively gifted, but there's nothing wrong with that. Bonino seems like he could turn out, lets give him a bit more time

Line 2b -

~ 15 mins

Kenins-Horvat-Vey

= Further development for these guys. Defensive grounding of Horvat and Kenins allows Vey to focus on being creative offensively.

Line 4 -

~ 11 mins

Dorsett-Richardson/Matthias-Hansen/Burrows

= eats up the rest of the time, solid depth line/energy line

Trade/dump Higgy

So what is it that he brings over Bo then. Lets see. Speed? not really. Faceoffs? Not I think Bo is better. Clutch play? Considering Bo is a kid playing with men as a Rookie. I think Bo has a great future. How about point production? Well Bo produced more points than Bones in the post season playing on the fourth line and no PP time. I think Bo has that one too.

So.......................Why should we be keeping Bonino as our 2C then? Please explain.

Assuming no major trades and that no rookies make the team, I'd be happy with:

Line 1 -

~ 18-19 mins

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

= Twins showed that they can still carry the offense, BUT its time to really start developing the next wave

Line 2a -

~ 15 mins

Hansen/Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

= Solid secondary line, perhaps more defensively sound than offensively gifted, but there's nothing wrong with that. Bonino seems like he could turn out, lets give him a bit more time

Line 2b -

~ 15 mins

Kenins-Horvat-Vey

= Further development for these guys. Defensive grounding of Horvat and Kenins allows Vey to focus on being creative offensively.

Line 4 -

~ 11 mins

Dorsett-Richardson/Matthias-Hansen/Burrows

= eats up the rest of the time, solid depth line/energy line

Trade/dump Higgy

Gonna have to make more moves than that at the F position, with the competitiveness of the Western Conference

Yep. But it really doesn't matter if WD rolls all 4 lines with similar minutes.

True but 2C status basically determines the linemates that you play with. For example, second line center probably means playing with Vrbata as opposed to Horvat. With quality linemates, I don't doubt that he will progress to be a 20G20A scorer next season (maybe even better).

"Horvat drives to the net, drops off to Vrbata, he snipes, he scores!"

"Vrbata shoots, Horvat, rebound, scores!"

Hope to hear something like this a lot next season.

Archived