The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat, 2nd line center!

pipperoni

True but 2C status basically determines the linemates that you play with. For example, second line center probably means playing with Vrbata as opposed to Horvat. With quality linemates, I don't doubt that he will progress to be a 20G20A scorer next season (maybe even better).

"Horvat drives to the net, drops off to Vrbata, he snipes, he scores!"

"Vrbata shoots, Horvat, rebound, scores!"

Hope to hear something like this a lot next season.

I'd say Horvat is good for AT LEAST 50 pts playing with Vrbata on the second.

Give him a shot in preseason, I wouldn't force it personally, imo thats how alot of good first year prospects fall into the classic sophomore slump. If it's obvious he should then surround him with our second most skilled wingers. If not, give him the third/fourth line with veteran less skilled wingers and hopefully, kennins again.

I'd say Horvat is good for AT LEAST 50 pts playing with Vrbata on the second.

Haha, optimism is good but thats a serious speculative statement.

I could see:

Danny - Hank - Verbie

Bearstchi - Horvat - Burrows

Shinkaruk/Jensen - Bonino - Virtanen/Jensen

Dorsett - Gaunce/McCann - Hansen

Extras: Kenins; McMillian; Vey.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Clendening - Corrado

(Pending poss trades/acquisitions)

Miller/Lack split (50/50)

That to me makes sense to me. In my eyes: Vey is no longer needed as a C on this team unless Bones is moved or converted to wing. Horvat will be 2nd or 3rd line center and vey is not worthy of 2nd line and isnt optimal for 4th. If Bones is moved/converted perhaps we could see some competition between Horvat and Vey for 2nd line center role. I think Bones would be a terrific 3rd liner imagine him with Virt, Jensen, or Shink? That would be a very dangerous 3rd line if they get climatized to the nhl.

Will see what happens. We may land a stud d man in the draft who may surprise and earn a spot on the squad. I would package Markstrom with Higgins or Bieska and get a decent asset back. I would love for us to get nichushkin. (hes got size, speed, and skill.)

Just realized I forgot about Kassian in there. Put Kass on 1st or 2nd line and bump Burrows down to 3rd with a young gun!

I just hope McMillian is back. Loved his games in the post season kids got heart. He's fast, he can hit, and he can create energy. maybe hes even got some finish in him we haven't seen. Hes a local boy bet you if hes given the chance he will train harder then hes ever trained before to have a chance to stay with his hometown team. He would be a great depth player who could earn a spot on the team. He's only 25.

You guys are wrong about Bonino, but whatever, I'm done trying to explain to you guys that Bonino is an acceptable 2C. If you don't already know, you'll never learn.

Let me guess, Scorsi and whinealytics are here to back you up? Bonino doesn't belong on the top 6 of a contending team.

Neither does burrows, Higgins or Hansen.

Question: Why do people believe Horvat can go from being a fourth line center to a second line center in the span of one season? Is it wishful thinking, or has he progressed thatmuch already?

Question: Why do people believe Horvat can go from being a fourth line center to a second line center in the span of one season? Is it wishful thinking, or has he progressed thatmuch already?

Cause he was that good the second half of the year and playoffs.

Depending on his wingers, and if he starts off next year where he left off this year, I could see him possibly scoring 40-50 points and 25 goals. Aka averageish second line center production.

extremely above average 21 year old NHL'rs though IMO.

I'm not writing off the possibility but thats quite the jump and I feel we should manage our expectations a bit so we aren't disappointed.

Horvat had a good rookie season and got better as the season went on. However we should not call him or count on him as a second line center next year. That would not be best for his development. 1) It puts pressure on him that does not need to be place on a 20 year old and 2) It will expose him to higher levels of competition (opposing lines) where he may not have much success next year.

I think he should be our third line center next year with increase PK and PP time. If there are injuries or if he plays his way onto the second line then that is great, but the expectations shouldn't be that he is a second liner as a 20 year old.

He already is. Do you really think that BONINO is a better centre? The only centre currently on the team better than Bo is Hank, period. Just think of the playoffs, who scored more points? Who had a better +/-? Who generated more chances? Who looked dangerous.

Just a matter of time . . . . . .

extremely above average 21 year old NHL'rs though IMO.

I'm not writing off the possibility but thats quite the jump and I feel we should manage our expectations a bit so we aren't disappointed.

It definitely isnt set in stone. But under the right circumstances I could see it happening. Theres a much better chance WD keeps him on the 3rd and he scores more like 35

He already is. Do you really think that BONINO is a better centre? The only centre currently on the team better than Bo is Hank, period. Just think of the playoffs, who scored more points? Who had a better +/-? Who generated more chances? Who looked dangerous.

Just a matter of time . . . . . .

Fair enough. I think what we have learned this year is that Bonino is streaky player at best, and tends to dry up come playoffs (Or Calgary just did a great job of shutting our depth down). I'm not saying Horvat shouldn't be a second line center (He'll probably replace Bonino) but who will replace Horvat on the 3rd or 4th line?

Unless several of our picks have an exceptional off-season, Vey will be our 3rd (or 4th) line center. Here's hoping that Mccann or Cassels make it.

The way WD rolls 4 lines the way he does, any line that's not the Sedin line is basically the same. Horvat had the 2nd most minutes of any centre (only behind Hank) in game 5 if I'm not mistaken. What I would like to see is to have him on a line with Baertschi next season, they had some good chemistry in the last game there. He was great with Hansen and Kenins all year, but I think having a more skilled guy on his line would benefit him.

I think Horvat should get some 2nd PP unit consideration. The kids 20 and is one of the stronger players i've seen in the league. He's able to stay so strong on the puck, guys literally bounce off of him and I rarely see him get pushed up the puck. I think he would be a good net presence on the PP, he would be able to box guys out and provide a screen but still hands the hands and skill too finish around the net.

We've got a real good young and versatile player on our hands here... definitely something to be optimistic about as a Canucks fan.

Sedin

Horvat

Bonino

Richardson

Nothing wrong with what we have now.

I honestly think that benning should let Matthias, richardson both walk and bring in the young guys. Trade hansen for another already developed prospect (Dman)

Or a really decent pick in 2015. Bring up all of 6'2 207 brendan gaunce (adds size on the middle. Was also one of uticas best Centers this year, get vey working out with horvat to help him build his strength and speed and run hi. As the fourth Center next year with dorsett and kennins.

So lines would look like

Sedin sedin Kass

Baer horvat vrbata

Kennins/ virtanen Bones jensen

Kennins/ virtanen Gaunce dorsett

Maybe could also move bones to a winger and bring mccann in if he is ready

Archived