The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a more positive note, edler and tanev played great for us in that series

billabong

lets just take a minute to tip our hats to the new shutdown pair in town. edler who finished the series +3 and tanev +4, when you allow 14 goals in 3 games in calgary alone then id say thats pretty impressive.

they played huge minutes for us and didnt seem fazed by the physical play.

edler-tanev are the silver lining in the final chapter of the canucks season....horvat is too

In reality they are a good second pairing. There's no offence on that line. Edler's offence is done. Tanev is a good stay at home dman, but that's it. We need an all star defencmen, a doughty Keith or Weber. Until we get that through draft or trade, we'll be a defensive mess. There's no voice back there, it's just throw the puck away, chip it out, etc. Look at how the Rangers or even the Flames, they can move the puck effectively, and create scoring chances on a regular basis.

I feel that defense core needs a revamp. Tanev, Edler pairing is good but not the rest of the core. Hamhuis deserves another year to get better since he came off the injury list back in January and I feel that he is not 100% and is noticably slow. I would let Weber, Bieska go even because they did not get better. Sbisa should not be resigned but what is done is done and we can only hope that he will get better next season but on a shorter leash. Sell him when the value is high but his overall play is not that great. Weber needs to be let go becasue he did not stop the third goal and it's all on him. he has a great shot but I am interested in preventing goals. That is what I would do but I am looking forward to what Benning can do to this D core.

I thought Edler had lost a step since coming back from his injury. Wasn't ever quite the same since.

Tanev wasn't noticeable most of the time (which is good I suppose for his style of play) but he'll need to develop an offensive game if he's to stay on the top pairing in the future.

Vrbata was streaky, but not bad actually. He surprised me with good defense.

Tanev and Edler looked decent, with only Edler making the occasional mistake. I wish Edler has been more physical though.

Archived