The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Blow up the team

Ok, so a lot of people have pulled at one point or another to blow up the team. What would that actually look like?

VAN: Higgins, rights to Markstrom, 5th (NYR)

BUF: Foligno, 3rd, 7th

VAN: Vey

CAR: 3rd

VAN: Miller, 1st 2017

SJS: Hertl, 2nd

VAN: Lack, Jensen, Bieksa, 3rd (BUF)

EDM: Yakupov, 6th

VAN: Burrows, Bonino, Hamhuis, Sautner

MTL: Malhotra, Tokarski, 1st (2nd 2016 if they don't make conference finals)

VAN: rights to Stanton, rights to Weber, Sbisa

PHI: Schultz, Read, 5th

Release Matthias, Richardson

Sign Williams, J. Subban, Niemi

Resign prospects, Sanguinetti

VAN lineups:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Yakupov

Williams-Hertl-Kassian

Foligno-Malhotra-Virtanen

Archibald

Edler-Tanev

Corrado-Clendening

Schultz-Hutton

Sanguinetti

Niemi

Tokarski

2015 Picks:

1st Rd. (VAN)

1st Rd. (MTL) - conditional

2nd Rd. (SJS)

3rd Rd. (CAR)

4th Rd. (VAN)

5th Rd. (PHI)

5th Rd. (VAN)

6th Rd. (EDM)

6th Rd. (VAN)

7th Rd. (BUF)

There, people who want to blow up the team. Would you be happy with this lineup (by the way, I feel like some trades might be off)?

Mines not a total blow up but close

Miller to SJ for 2015 2nd rd+ Alex Statlock

Bieksa to Detroit for Jurco+2015 3rd round pick

Higgens to NYI for Matt Martin

Burrows to MTL for Alexi Emelin

2015 first, Bonino, Jensen, Markstrom to EDM for Draisatl (might need to add more)

2016 First round pick+ Jordan Subban to Washington for Madison Bowey

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Beartschi-Draisatl-Vrbata

Jurco-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-Richardson-Martin

Edler-Bowey

Hamhuis-Emelin

Tanev-Sbisa

Lack

Statlock

What we need is players who perform on a consistent basis. Not show up one game and disappear for 3-4. Even if that basis is great results one game out of 2 or 3. We can't have a team with 3 lines of players who are kinda good defensively, and won't score over long stretches. It just might be the mix of players we have just doesn't work, and the guys styles don't mesh.

The real problem is we have $6+ million tied up on goaltending and 4 of our top 6 defensemen are too old, too slow, or don't have the defensive ability to clear the net, and keep the puck out of our zone, or even hold the blue line on the offensive zone.

I have faith in our offensive prospects. But now more than ever we need to really improve our backend.

Watching the playoffs outside of the "elite" in goaltending (Price, Lundqvist, maybe Dubnyk?) we've seen Chicago, Detroit, Ottawa, go with backups. Even Anaheim which swept Winnipeg has good goaltending, and Calgary isn't that great either.

Goaltending is a very funny position. You could be world class one week, and a bum the next. A lot depends on the defence and the forwards in front.

Scoring 4 goals last night should have been enough. Maybe it's because Miller looked so good in the game before. We need a balanced team that can not only attack, we can defend. Our teams inconsistency is our Achillies heal.

Mines a build within and a few trades of core.

Trade : Higgins & Vey to NYI for Martin 2nd 2015

Trade : Bonino to Car for 2nd

Trade : Bieksa to Tor for 2nd&3rd ( 2nd 2015 3rd 2016 )

Trade : Kassian,Burrows,2nd(CAR) Lucic

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Lucic-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-McCann-Hansen

Martin-Richardson-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado

Hamhuis-Clenndening

Miller

Markstrom

Mines a build within and a few trades of core.

Trade : Higgins & Vey to NYI for Martin 2nd 2015

Trade : Bonino to Car for 2nd

Trade : Bieksa to Tor for 2nd&3rd ( 2nd 2015 3rd 2016 )

Trade : Kassian,Burrows,2nd(CAR) Lucic

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Lucic-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-McCann-Hansen

Martin-Richardson-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado

Hamhuis-Clenndening

Miller

Markstrom

One problem. Bieksa bleeds blue and green. He won't waive his NTC. Remember what he said last year about going down with the ship? Boston won't give up Lucic either, and they certainly won't take Burrows.

If the Canucks are serious about getting some young talent, there are two players on the team who could be traded: Henrik and Daniel.

Would it be terrible? No doubt, nobody in Vancouver management wants to trade them.

Could the Canucks recoup the scoring they produce? Probably not right away, but keep in mind, this team needs to completely change its culture, and that won't happen as long as they are here.

If Canucks brass are more concerned with the twins being lifelong Canucks than improving their team long term, then I guess their priorities are out of whack.

If the Oilers can trade Gretzky in his prime, then the 35 year old Sedins can also be traded.

Yeah I get it, it sounds ludicrous....but look around the league. Most of the successful guys are in their 20s. The Canucks are too old, and they will only get older. Their top scorers are old, their starting goalie is old, and their defense is right behind them.

The series with Calgary shows me that you need more youth if you want the desire to win. The old guys would rather call it a day and go have a beer, hang out with their families.

If the Canucks are serious about getting some young talent, there are two players on the team who could be traded: Henrik and Daniel.

Would it be terrible? No doubt, nobody in Vancouver management wants to trade them.

Could the Canucks recoup the scoring they produce? Probably not right away, but keep in mind, this team needs to completely change its culture, and that won't happen as long as they are here.

If Canucks brass are more concerned with the twins being lifelong Canucks than improving their team long term, then I guess their priorities are out of whack.

If the Oilers can trade Gretzky in his prime, then the 35 year old Sedins can also be traded.

Yeah I get it, it sounds ludicrous....but look around the league. Most of the successful guys are in their 20s. The Canucks are too old, and they will only get older. Their top scorers are old, their starting goalie is old, and their defense is right behind them.

The series with Calgary shows me that you need more youth if you want the desire to win. The old guys would rather call it a day and go have a beer, hang out with their families.

You can't use the Gretzky arguement to support a potential Sedin's trade. It was a different era. Gretzky was more sold than he was traded. Also there was no salary cap or no trade clauses back then. Between their NMC's, the requirement to stay on the same team,their huge combined cap hit, and their age they are probably the least movable players in the league

I'd kill to have Marcus or Nick Foligno on the Canucks.

Loved watching Marcus play with Sgarbossa a few years back, the Sudbury Wolves were really exciting with him on the team and I think he can bring that energy to Vancouver and I'd be nice for Corrado who played with Marcus in Sudbury.

You can't use the Gretzky arguement to support a potential Sedin's trade. It was a different era. Gretzky was more sold than he was traded. Also there was no salary cap or no trade clauses back then. Between their NMC's, the requirement to stay on the same team,their huge combined cap hit, and their age they are probably the least movable players in the league

Are you suggesting the Sedins aren't worth their cap hit?

Yeah it's 14 million dollars, but the twins had about ~150 points this season.

All any team needs is a half-decent right winger and they have a great scoring instantly. Just add water.

No move clauses and cap hits are just excuses. I would rather the Canucks eat a bit of salary now and acquire some more picks and young talent for later.

David Clarkson was moved with his 5.5 million salary, and he's just a plug. The Sedins are former NHL scoring leaders.

The Sedins would be monsters if they played in the East. More room, less burly teams, I could see them over 90+ points again.

Are you suggesting the Sedins aren't worth their cap hit?

Yeah it's 14 million dollars, but the twins had about ~150 points this season.

All any team needs is a half-decent right winger and they have a great scoring instantly. Just add water.

No move clauses and cap hits are just excuses. I would rather the Canucks eat a bit of salary now and acquire some more picks and young talent for later.

David Clarkson was moved with his 5.5 million salary, and he's just a plug. The Sedins are former NHL scoring leaders.

The Sedins would be monsters if they played in the East. More room, less burly teams, I could see them over 90+ points again.

So what team do you think would be willing to chew up $14m of cap space for two 35 year olds on the decline?

Ok, so a lot of people have pulled at one point or another to blow up the team. What would that actually look like?

My versions are in bold. I'm using your propsoal as a template because I'm lazy.

VAN: Higgins, rights to Markstrom, 5th (NYR)

BUF: Foligno, 3rd, 7th

Not much to change here. Maybe change BUF's 3rd to a 4th because they pick pretty early.

VAN: Vey

CAR: 3rd

I don't understand this at all.

VAN: Miller, 1st 2017

SJS: Hertl, 2nd

No way in hell does SJS do this.

Van: Miller, 2015 1st, 2016 3rd

Sjs: Hertl

VAN: Lack, Jensen, Bieksa, 3rd (BUF)

EDM: Yakupov, 6th

Overpayment tbh.

Van: Lack, Jensen, Bieksa, McNally

Edm: Yakupov, 3rd

VAN: Burrows, Bonino, Hamhuis, Sautner

MTL: Malhotra, Tokarski, 1st (2nd 2016 if they don't make conference finals)

Malhotra is a UFA, and you are downright getting robbed in this trade. I can't even work around it.

VAN: rights to Stanton, rights to Weber, Sbisa

PHI: Schultz, Read, 5th

Underpayment by Van.

Van: Sbisa, Burrows, Pedan

Phi: Schultz, Read, Leier, 6th

Not a bad post Jazz, just my opinion.

So what team do you think would be willing to chew up $14m of cap space for two 35 year olds on the decline?

I can only guess but I don't consider the Sedins 'on the decline'. They were great all year and their numbers in the regular season AND the playoffs were great. They were 8th and 10th in league scoring, so they almost up there with the league leaders.

Don't make it out like it's impossible, and if the Canucks eat some salary back, it's not going to be $14m for the team that takes them.

I can only guess but I don't consider the Sedins 'on the decline'. They were great all year and their numbers in the regular season AND the playoffs were great. They were 8th and 10th in league scoring, so they almost up there with the league leaders.

Don't make it out like it's impossible, and if the Canucks eat some salary back, it's not going to be $14m for the team that takes them.

I stand by assertation that combibed they are all but untradable. Feel free to disagree but you won't convince me to the contrary

Archived