The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) what are the Canucks tradeable assets worth?

Vey isn't going anywhere, young, is what we need, just needs time.

Burrows, played for us at 2M during his best years, deserves to retire here if he wants, anything else is a disservice to him.

Lack is going to plug the hole until Markstrom is ready, proved his worth this season, no way he is moved.

Markstrom, Owned the AHL this year, initially came to Vancouver after a groin injury, it takes awhile to get back to 100% after one of those, he'll be fine, just needs time.

Jensen, No reason to move our youth, just need to be patient

Higgins & Miller.... If we want to compete at all, like LInden has said he does, we can't move these guys, Higgins is in a "He's the best we've got" situation, and Miller is sort of in the same spot, also, considering he is one of Benning's first signings, I would imagine he'll ride out the contract so UFAs know they aren't going to get flipped if they come to Vancouver.

We really do not have alot of movable pieces right now in my opinion, we need our youth, and our older pieces either have NTCs,or are signed to a stupid low contract like Higgins, or just not worth moving for whatever reason.

Vey's worth a late 2nd at the extreme most. I'd say a 3rd or 4th.

Higg-2nd

Burrows - not trading him

Lack - depending on the team, late 1st or early 2nd

Miller - again, depending on the team, but mid- to late 1st. The only way to get in the Top 10 is Philly, and they have cap issues.

Markstrom - if he wasn't an RFA, a 2nd or even a late, late 1st. But he's an RFA, so a late 2nd at most.

Vey's worth a late 2nd at the extreme most. I'd say a 3rd or 4th.

Higg-2nd

Burrows - not trading him

Lack - depending on the team, late 1st or early 2nd

Miller - again, depending on the team, but mid- to late 1st. The only way to get in the Top 10 is Philly, and they have cap issues.

Markstrom - if he wasn't an RFA, a 2nd or even a late, late 1st. But he's an RFA, so a late 2nd at most.

I should just make a macro to respond to people who think Miller will fetch much in a trade. When he was a UFA, only 3 or 4 teams even showed the slightest bit of interest in him. The only team that was pressing hard for him was Vancouver. Miller, especially with his $6 million contract will not fetch much if anything in a trade.

At best a team with lots of cap space would trade a 3rd round draft pick for him just so they could reach the cap floor. That's if Miller decided to waive his NTC. He'd only do that for a California team (not even 1 of them showed much interest), and possibly for the Sabres just so he could retire in Buffalo in his final year(s).

Lack, Bieska, Higgins,

Lack is the easiest to move. The one thing people need to think of is Miller and Lack are not the answer to this teams future goaltending. Markstrom/Demko are. What's best for Markstrom is to keep Miller for the remainder of his contract and in turn mentor Markstrom on how to become a full time NHLer. Lack is young enough to go to a rebuilding team and proven enough to go to a playoff team. His cap hit can fit on any team and he has no NTC. Teams I see interested in him could be Oilers, Buffalo, SJ, Possibly CAR, if the rumour of Ward is getting moved happens. Lack +, could pick us up a late first, EDM (16th), or (BUF 21st).

Bieska is UFA at the end of next season. I really don't see him getting resigned, Everyone expects him to take a deep discount and play 5th or 6th Defensemen but reality is that isn't going to happen, there still are teams out there that will give him 4+ and I really hope that it's not the canucks. Yes he has a NTC but if the writing in on the wall that canucks are not resigning him I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to waive, especially if it's to a team that he'd like to go to. PIT, TO, DAL, PHI, DET, COL are teams that could be interested in KB. IF canucks were willing to retain a bit of salary (only 1 year left on his deal) it would increase his value.

Finally It really comes down Higgins vs Burrows, both are versatile and can move up and down the line up, both are natural LW, both are strong defensively, both have inconsistency issues. The fact that Burrows is also comfortable on the RW give him the slight edge to stay in my opinion. Either way I don't think this team should trade Higgins until after the start of next season. Virtanen might make a push next year for that spot, if he does well in training camp that opens up the possibility to trade higgins.

Canucks need to pick up a D man that knows how to handle the puck, someone other than Weber. Moving Bieska, Lack and possibly Higgins free's up 8.2 million in cap space.

IMO, the easiest guy to move is Radim Vrbata, the invisible playoff man. I think a team like the Montreal Canadiens would be willing to part with a couple of draft picks (2nd and 3rd) for Radim Vrbata.

The only caveat to moving Vrbata would be that his 31 regular season goals would have to be replaced. So, a number of other moves would have to be made, one of which may be signing Justin Williams as an UFA (he'll probably give you 20 goals and the remaining 11 would have to come through goals by committee).

IMO, Bieksa could probably fetch us Jakub Kindl from Detroit. Kindl has been in Babcock's doghouse all season, and is a RHD with size, good skating ability, some skill and grit. And he's $2M cheaper than Bieksa. Bieksa would probably fit in nicely in Babcock's system and his contract expires in one year so that might appeal to Detroit as a temporary stop gap.

If the Canucks can somehow work out a deal with Chicago to get Sharp and Bickell (combined $9.9M AAV) I would pull that trigger. Maybe we give up Higgins, Jensen and Shinkaruk (does having Baertschi in the system make Shinky redundant?) and the second from my imaginary trade with the Habs for Vrbata? If we pull this off, then Williams isn't needed.

Don't know if this kid is even available, but would love to get a hold of Ryan Murphy from Carolina. They could probably use Lack (and then trade Cam Ward)...add in Frank Corrado a similar type player, and Alex Burrows.

Sedin - Sedin - SHARP

BAERTSCHI - Horvat - Kassian

BICKELL - Bonino - Hansen

GAUNCE - Richardson - Dorsett

Kenins - Vey

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis -MURPHY

Sbisa - KINDL

Stanton - Clendening

Miller - MARKSTROM

With these moves, 1/3 of the team would been turned over...and gotten much younger...and freed up additional cap space to add Matt Belesky or Cody Franson. Everything but the Murphy trade is within the realm of possibilities.

Vey isn't going anywhere, young, is what we need, just needs time.

Burrows, played for us at 2M during his best years, deserves to retire here if he wants, anything else is a disservice to him.

Lack is going to plug the hole until Markstrom is ready, proved his worth this season, no way he is moved.

Markstrom, Owned the AHL this year, initially came to Vancouver after a groin injury, it takes awhile to get back to 100% after one of those, he'll be fine, just needs time.

Jensen, No reason to move our youth, just need to be patient

Higgins & Miller.... If we want to compete at all, like LInden has said he does, we can't move these guys, Higgins is in a "He's the best we've got" situation, and Miller is sort of in the same spot, also, considering he is one of Benning's first signings, I would imagine he'll ride out the contract so UFAs know they aren't going to get flipped if they come to Vancouver.

We really do not have alot of movable pieces right now in my opinion, we need our youth, and our older pieces either have NTCs,or are signed to a stupid low contract like Higgins, or just not worth moving for whatever reason.

isnt that what was the demise of mg, being too loyal to his players. this is a business and players dont shy away from playing somehwere because of a previous incident with another player. it happens every year on every team so its a non factor.

my question is where does vey fit on this team? he isnt strong enough to play center and he isnt good on draws and our RW depth is already stock piled

one of lack, miller or markstrom has to go this off season. theres different theories on who should go but its probably between lack or markstrom so you have atleast one proven nhl goalie in miller. id rather trade the more unproven goalie in markstrom but say if edm comes knocking on the door offering eberle for lack+ then bye bye lack

Miller likely has negative value.

He didn't have a very good year, and there are better and cheaper goalies available for free. He could only be moved for another undesirable contract.

Miller had a pretty good year... Lack played well when Miller got injured, he had a really good game 5 against Calgary but a poor game 6... that said everyone knew he wasn't 100%

Miller also has 2 years left which is a good contract, teams can deal with a higher than expected contract if it's short term. I think San Jose has got to trade for him, they need his stability for 2 years while they can scramble for a reliable backup goalie with upside to take over.

Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett - negative trade value

Kassian - likely early 2nd rounder, maybe late 1st rounder

Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado - Mid-late 2nd rounder

Markstrom - 3rd rounder, maybe a mid-late second rounder

Vey - 3rd round or later

Higgins - 2nd rounder

Depends on the draft year. Benning values the 2016 draft as much or more than the 2015 one. If he finds somebody with a different opinion about 2016 then Benning may get between a late 1st - early 2nd for Zack. With the way that most GMs are coveting this 2015 draft, Zack would fetch a 2015 mid second rounder at best.

Remember though, if Zack gets traded away for a pick and that pick becomes an AHL lifer, then the Canucks will have lost an up and coming forward for nothing.

why trade Zack ? he's shown glimpses of on and off but he's young and will learn to be more consistent.

He's also our only forward with good hands, good speed and a good meanstreak. Guy will be a gamer one day

90% aren't looking to trade him. His name gets brought up by people who are trying to gauge his value in certain trades. I think the Canucks should keep him for another season. It would suck if he were to be traded to a team like Boston and all of a sudden hit his stride and started tearing up the opposing teams.

vey, Higgins, burrows, lack, miller, markstrom, Jensen etc... are players who may need a home

What's their worth?

Any of them worth a 1st pick?

Is vey still worth a 2nd pick?

Would the Canucks have to retain salary on any of them?

The only 2 that could be going somewhere are Miller and Higgins. I really don't think that Higgins will go anywhere until we find out how other prospects are doing in camp.

Miller, we may have no choice but to move based on how the salary cap washes out. We don't have much room if it comes in at 70 million or less.

offseason success grade 1

move Miller and Higgins.

offseason success grade 2

grade 1 + sign Eberle or Sharp

offseason success grade 3

grade 2 + get a top 2 dman

offseason success grade 4

grade3 + sign finally subban

offseason success bonus stage

no grade needed, get rid of the orca and go back to the golden skate jersey.

if the summer goes like that, i'll consider this season as a success...

90% aren't looking to trade him. His name gets brought up by people who are trying to gauge his value in certain trades. I think the Canucks should keep him for another season. It would suck if he were to be traded to a team like Boston and all of a sudden hit his stride and started tearing up the opposing teams.

I understand the risk of trading him, it could blowup in our face. That being said I think it is highly unlikely we will see Kassian back with the Canucks last year. Kassian is one of the Canucks only assets with trade value (whatever it may be). He has struggled with an ill-defined back problem, one of the worst injuries (no surgery or certain fix for it). He has well documented behavioural issues that transcend this management group (and this team for that matter).

Benning was on record on deadline saying he was talking and making calls on Kassian, a very odd thing for a GM to do. It sounds like Benning likely valued Kassian higher than everyone else on deadline (likely because of his great month of Feb). But now that Kassian got injured and you look at the season holistically Benning is likely to value him less than he did on deadline.

I think we will see Kassian and some other B level prospects (like Gaunce/Jensen/Corrado) bundled with our first round pick and traded to move up in the draft. Benning tried to do the same thing (without Kassian) twice last draft for Reinhardt and Bennett, I think he does the same this year likely targeting Barzal.

Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett - negative trade value

Kassian - likely early 2nd rounder, maybe late 1st rounder

Agree with Miller.

Absolutely agree with Sbisa.

Couldn't disagree more on Dorsett.

Kassian may get a second round pick. Likely a third at this point.

offseason success grade 1

move Miller and Higgins.

offseason success grade 2

grade 1 + sign Eberle or Sharp

offseason success grade 3

grade 2 + get a top 2 dman

offseason success grade 4

grade3 + sign finally subban

offseason success bonus stage

no grade needed, get rid of the orca and go back to the golden skate jersey.

if the summer goes like that, i'll consider this season as a success...

How do you suppose the Canucks sign Eberle or Sharp?

Archived