The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ken Hitchcock to be relieved of HC duties this week

If STL declines to match we lose four 1st round picks. Not exactly the smartest thing for an aging team.

yes but getting tarasenko is like replacing the twins point wise! he gets about 76 pts a season... would be worth it ..

Ken is a terrific transition coach, and now a team like Edmonton or Toronto should bring him in.

never thought of to ... heck we could use him as well... our forwards need help getting back... might help the power play as well..

Well, he had more than enough cracks at the can I think. The way he handled that OT at the end of the game was really uninspiring, and with a group like that, you need coaching staff that can motivate...

That plus a goaltender!

they should fire the management team. It's funny how management has been getting away with sucking their teams over coaches. Great example is Edmonton. GM's didn't do their job in the 1st place, but the coach gets let go with a crappy roster.

St.Louis was missing a goalie from day 1. weak goals after weak goals killed St.Louis.

Agree with the latter but not the rest. He has arguably one of the deepest offenses and defenses in the league and a solid goaltending duo. Nothing more he could've asked for.

Really? Blues are a bunch of scrap pieces and always have been. There's no stars to build around there.

Really? Blues are a bunch of scrap pieces and always have been. There's no stars to build around there.

Pietrangelo is one of the best D-men in the league. And Shattenkirk and J-Bo are a fantastic #2 and #3. With Jackman, Michalek, and Gunnarsson filling the bottom-3, it's not a stretch to say that it is the best D-core in the league.

Then you have Tarasenko as the star forward, surrounded by a ton of quality top-6 talent - Backes, Steen, Schwartz, Stastny, Oshie, Berglund...

The pieces are all there. (Although, I think they'd be even better if they held on to Sobotka and forgot about Stastny...would have more room for Tarasenko's deal too.) It's far easier to try a new guy behind the bench than retool the whole team.

Agree with the latter but not the rest. He has arguably one of the deepest offenses and defenses in the league and a solid goaltending duo. Nothing more he could've asked for.

If Brian Elliott is involved, I wouldn't call it 'solid'....When St. Louis moves Elliott, I doubt he will play well enough to stick in the NHL, he is just not that great a goalie. I know the numbers look good, but he's a bloody trainwreck. He looked ok at times behind the Blues defense, but that's all going to change next year.

@thekapman:

Hearing the @NHLBLUES will fire Ken Hitchcock this week. Former San Jose coach Todd McLellan will be high on their short list.

@adater:

If Blues lose today, Ken Hitchcock's playoff record in last 37 games would be 12-25, one playoff round win since 2003-04

Time for both sides to part ways. Ken hasn't done squat with his great teams in the playoffs. When I think Blues I think chokers for this reason. Good coach but not in the postseason.

I agree with this.

He's also an old school coach (ask his goalies). Maybe better than Torts but that's not saying much? In an increasingly new world...

The Blues added high end talent in Taraseno, Schwartz, Lehtera and Stastny to go with their big physically imposing two way forwards. And all world D.

Not sure how much better McLellan is at coaxing performance out of a stale club though. If I were McLellan and wanted a challenge.; I would take on Edmonton or Buffalo.

If I were the Blues I'd offer Babcock the moon AND a night flight to venus!

If Brian Elliott is involved, I wouldn't call it 'solid'....When St. Louis moves Elliott, I doubt he will play well enough to stick in the NHL, he is just not that great a goalie. I know the numbers look good, but he's a bloody trainwreck. He looked ok at times behind the Blues defense, but that's all going to change next year.

Yeah Brian Elliot sucks

@thekapman:

Hearing the @NHLBLUES will fire Ken Hitchcock this week. Former San Jose coach Todd McLellan will be high on their short list.

@adater:

If Blues lose today, Ken Hitchcock's playoff record in last 37 games would be 12-25, one playoff round win since 2003-04

Time for both sides to part ways. Ken hasn't done squat with his great teams in the playoffs. When I think Blues I think chokers for this reason. Good coach but not in the postseason.

aside from the ring he wears on his finger you mean?

Soooo.....McLellan to St Louis and Hitch to the Sharks? Viggy and Torts 2.0?

A coaching swap that works out fantastic for one team and is a disaster for the other? Which would be which, I wonder. B)

Actually, I see Hitch as a fit in Edmonton or Buffalo. He's a hard ass and I think that would help both organizations. Jumbo Joe and Marleau would probably be calling him Fat Bastard before the all-star break....

No surprise. 3 straight 50+ win seasons and first round exits.

Sucks for the Blues, but I think it really shows just how good that division is. Nashville, St Louis, Chicago....

...and I still think that Minny is going to come out of it.

I agree with this.

He's also an old school coach (ask his goalies). Maybe better than Torts but that's not saying much? In an increasingly new world...

The Blues added high end talent in Taraseno, Schwartz, Lehtera and Stastny to go with their big physically imposing two way forwards. And all world D.

Not sure how much better McLellan is at coaxing performance out of a stale club though. If I were McLellan and wanted a challenge.; I would take on Edmonton or Buffalo.

If I were the Blues I'd offer Babcock the moon AND a night flight to venus!

Babcock with the Blues would probably be amazing. I can't even begin to imagine what he'd do with that team.

They'd still need to find a goalie though. I don't doubt Brian Elliott though... Hitchcock was probably relieved because of his decision to start Allen in Game 6. Ugh. Perhaps the Blues have someone in the works though?

Archived