The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets make Edmonton a contender

So Edmonton gets to draft McDavid. Well, I don't believe he will be the same level of impact that Crosby is, but I know he will be a great talent. This alone makes Edmonton a more attractive place for players to come too, as well it gives Edmonton some wiggle room to trade some other young guys out.

So lets say McDavid wants a shot at the playoffs next season, or, at most in two seasons. Well lets see what can be done.

Signings:

Cody Franson and Mike Green, Edmonton has cap space, and, as you'll see below will make more. Sign these two guys, overpay if you have too. Nurse should be about ready to step into a top 6, maybe top 4 role. Then, make Adam Mquaid an offer as well. This would give a top 6 that looks well balanced with

Green Shultz

Franson Ferrence

Mquaid Nurse

Not bad, an older guy, a younger guy, and 4 guys entering or in their prime. Can provide offense, support the forwards, and shut down. Instantly better, and thats just through signings.

Goaltending: I say leave it alone this year. Scrivens numbers don't do him justice, he faces tough angle shots, screens, poor defensive coverage. I think behind a competant defense he could be good eneough.

Forwards, well McDavid pushes the Nuge to the second line, maybe not this year, but next year for sure, who knows maybe even this year. So, you take Taylor Hall and ship him off somewhere for some depth/grit players. LA is always in the rumour mill when top offensive talent is shopped around. LA also has alot of gritty depth guys, Send Taylor Hall along with a third to LA and bring back Toffoli, Jordan Nolan and a 2nd. This gives LA another sniper, and Edmonton gets alot deeper.

Next, you give Yakupov a fresh start, who is the Eastern Conferences percieved super power who just missed the playoffs this year and will likely be looking to shake things up? The Boston Bruins. Lucic has been in the rumour mill a bit lately, so Ill put this together, Edmonton sends Boston Yakupov, their 2015 First(from PIT) and Keith Aulie(to make up for Bostons loss of Mquaid to free agency) and the Bruins send the Oilers Lucic, freeing up cap space and getting another 1st in a top heavy draft year.

Edmontons Forward core now looks like this

Lucic RNH/McDavid Eberle

Toffoli RNH/McDavid Purcell

Gazdic Draisitl Fraser

Pouliot Nolan Pitlick

Suddenly thats a 4 line team, with toughness, finess, speed and skill. Now thats alot of moves to make that happen, but if something like that took place, the Oilers would likely rise to playoff status.

^^^ Im Just playing around with things, since McDavid opens so many options. I'd love to do a Canucks one, but I don't know which direction they want to head in, total rebuild or try to add pieces a bit at a time while ushering out the old era.

Franson is a terrible defenseman and where is Nikitin? Even with Green and Franson that would still be the worst blue line in the league by far. I think the Oilers are resigned to the possibility that they will have to move one of their forwards, one of Eberle/Yakupov/Draisatl will be moved for a young defenseman.

Sorry, just not really in the mood to talk about how good the OILERS could be.

Why bother making a post then? I am not trying to be snarky but if I don't find a topic worth discussing, I don't post in said topic.

^^^ Im Just playing around with things, since McDavid opens so many options. I'd love to do a Canucks one, but I don't know which direction they want to head in, total rebuild or try to add pieces a bit at a time while ushering out the old era.

By the looks of it, the plan is to draft well and pick up good free agents when they become available. There's no need to blow up the Canucks. If Benning can do well with drafting and picking up quality free agents, the Canucks will be a force again. If he can't get the Canucks to where they need to go then he'll be looking for a new job in about 3 years.

Why would we want to do that?

If they can't do that with the talent level they have drafted over the past 5 years, coupled with their forthcoming windfall (Mc soon to be saying, why or why did the spOilers have to win the lottery), they should all be fired if they can't win the cup in the next 3 years.

Firstly I don't care about the oilers. And we know they're going to be a contender. But are they Stanley cup worthy? Definitely not. Getting McDavid won't solidify Stanley cup final berth. It's about a team effort and if you don't have that then you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Plain an simple

Archived