The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Riots Reported In Baltimore After The Funeral Of Freddie Gray

SabreFan1

The ideals of Martin Luther King Jr. is dead. Unfortunately, its death was exacerbated by those within the black community.

you mean like how he said that a riot is language of the unheard?

Remarkable restraint shown by the cops here. Must be because of all the cameras.

like how the cops in full riot gear throw rocks at high school kids, to prevoke them and then attack the students?

The protests have been going on peacefully for about a week and I feel like the increased police presence and more officers in riot gear helped to escalate this. The majority of this has been peaceful. What I don't understand is how a man can be beaten so badly as to have 80% of his spine severed, 3 broken vertabrae and his voice box damaged to the point of requiring sergery and being in a coma for a week before he passed, from a so called "nickle ride", but the media don't report on that... or if they do it's snippits. This isn't an isolated event read this http://data.baltimoresun.com /news/police-settlements/

As a peaceful Canadian, never in my life would I agree with rioting. However, after moving to the US, reading Chomsky, and then reading Baltimore-born Ta-Nehisi Coates on what he has to say about the Baltimore riots, I cannot draw such a black-and-white conclusion anymore.

I really, really, really recommend reading this article by him about the riots: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/

Excerpt:

The case against the Baltimore police, and the society that superintends them, is easily made:

Over the past four years, more than 100 people have won court judgments or settlements related to allegations of brutality and civil rights violations. Victims include a 15-year-old boy riding a dirt bike, a 26-year-old pregnant accountant who had witnessed a beating, a 50-year-old woman selling church raffle tickets, a 65-year-old church deacon rolling a cigarette and an 87-year-old grandmother aiding her wounded grandson ....
And in almost every case, prosecutors or judges dismissed the charges against the victims—if charges were filed at all. In an incident that drew headlines recently, charges against a South Baltimore man were dropped after a video showed an officer repeatedly punching him—a beating that led the police commissioner to say he was “shocked.”
The money paid out by the city to cover for the brutal acts of its police department would be enough to build "a state-of-the-art rec center or renovations at more than 30 playgrounds." Instead, the money was used to cover for the brutal acts of the city's police department and ensure they remained well beyond any semblance of justice.
Now, tonight, I turn on the news and I see politicians calling for young people in Baltimore to remain peaceful and "nonviolent." These well-intended pleas strike me as the right answer to the wrong question. To understand the question, it's worth remembering what, specifically, happened to Freddie Gray. An officer made eye contact with Gray. Gray, for unknown reasons, ran. The officer and his colleagues then detained Gray. They found him in possession of a switchblade. They arrested him while he yelled in pain. And then, within an hour, his spine was mostly severed. A week later, he was dead. What specifically was the crime here? What particular threat did Freddie Gray pose? Why is mere eye contact and then running worthy of detention at the hands of the state? Why is Freddie Gray dead?
The people now calling for nonviolence are not prepared to answer these questions. Many of them are charged with enforcing the very policies that led to Gray's death, and yet they can offer no rational justification for Gray's death and so they appeal for calm. But there was no official appeal for calm when Gray was being arrested. There was no appeal for calm when Jerriel Lyles was assaulted. (“The blow was so heavy. My eyes swelled up. Blood was dripping down my nose and out my eye.”) There was no claim for nonviolence on behalf of Venus Green. (“Bitch, you ain’t no better than any of the other old black bitches I have locked up.”) There was no plea for peace on behalf of Starr Brown. (“They slammed me down on my face,” Brown added, her voice cracking. “The skin was gone on my face.")
When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is "correct" or "wise," any more than a forest fire can be "correct" or "wise." Wisdom isn't the point tonight. Disrespect is. In this case, disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the community.

you mean like how he said that a riot is language of the unheard?

like how the cops in full riot gear throw rocks at high school kids, to prevoke them and then attack the students?

The protests have been going on peacefully for about a week and I feel like the increased police presence and more officers in riot gear helped to escalate this. The majority of this has been peaceful. What I don't understand is how a man can be beaten so badly as to have 80% of his spine severed, 3 broken vertabrae and his voice box damaged to the point of requiring sergery and being in a coma for a week before he passed, from a so called "nickle ride", but the media don't report on that... or if they do it's snippits. This isn't an isolated event read this http://data.baltimoresun.com /news/police-settlements/

Link? I find this hard to believe. And that's after seeing all of the other stuff going on down there.

Link? I find this hard to believe. And that's after seeing all of the other stuff going on down there.

I can't find the post I saw yesterday on twitter but this is what lead to the situation I was talking about.

When school let out that afternoon, police were in the area equipped with full riot gear. According to eyewitnesses in the Mondawmin neighborhood, the police were stopping busses and forcing riders, including many students who were trying to get home, to disembark. Cops shut down the local subway stop. They also blockaded roads near the Mondawmin Mall and Frederick Douglass High School, which is across the street from the mall, and essentially corralled young people in the area. That is, they did not allow the after-school crowd to disperse.

Meghann Harris, a teacher at a nearby school, described on Facebook what happened:

Police were forcing busses to stop and unload all their passengers. Then, [Frederick Douglass High School] students, in huge herds, were trying to leave on various busses but couldn't catch any because they were all shut down. No kids were yet around except about 20, who looked like they were waiting for police to do something. The cops, on the other hand, were in full riot gear, marching toward any small social clique of students…It looked as if there were hundreds of cops.

The kids were "standing around in groups of 3-4," Harris said in a Facebook message to Mother Jones. "They weren't doing anything. No rock throwing, nothing…The cops started marching toward groups of kids who were just milling about."

A teacher at Douglass High School, who asked not to be identified, tells a similar story: "When school was winding down, many students were leaving early with their parents or of their own accord." Those who didn't depart early, she says, were stranded. Many of the students still at school at that point, she notes, wanted to get out of the area and avoid any Purge-like violence. Some were requesting rides home from teachers. But by now, it was difficult to leave the neighborhood. "I rode with another teacher home," this teacher recalls, "and we had to route our travel around the police in riot gear blocking the road… The majority of my students thought what was going to happen was stupid or were frightened at the idea. Very few seemed to want to participate in 'the purge.'"

A parent who picked up his children from a nearby elementary school, says via Twitter, "The kids stood across from the police and looked like they were asking them 'why can't we get on the buses' but the police were just gazing…Majority of those kids aren't from around that neighborhood. They NEED those buses and trains in order to get home." He continued: "If they would've let them children go home, yesterday wouldn't have even turned out like that."

Meg Gibson, another Baltimore teacher, described a similar scene to Gawker: "The riot police were already at the bus stop on the other side of the mall, turning buses that transport the students away, not allowing students to board. They were waiting for the kids.…Those kids were set up, they were treated like criminals before the first brick was thrown." With police unloading busses, and with the nearby metro station shut down, there were few ways for students to clear out.

Several eyewitnesses in the area that afternoon say that police seemed to arrive at Mondawmin anticipating mobs and violence—prior to any looting. At 3:01 p.m., the Baltimore Police Department posted on its Facebook page: "There is a group of juveniles in the area of Mondawmin Mall. Expect traffic delays in the area." But many of the kids, according to eyewitnesses, were stuck there because of police actions.

The Baltimore Police Department did not respond to requests for comment.

Around 3:30, the police reported that juveniles had begun to throw bottles and bricks. Fifteen minutes later, the police department noted that one of its officers had been injured. After that the violence escalated, and rioters started looting the Mondawmin Mall, and Baltimore was in for a long night of trouble and violence. But as the event is reviewed and investigated, an important question warrants attention: What might have happened had the police not prevented students from leaving the area? Did the department's own actions increase the chances of conflict?

As Meghann Harris put it, "if I were a Douglas student that just got trapped in the middle of a minefield BY cops without any way to get home and completely in harm's way, I'd be ready to pop off, too."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/how-baltimore-riots-began-mondawmin-purge

the cops heard that some kids on fb were talking about a purge and so they shut down transit, the kids were trapped, police start intimidation and all hell broke loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmWuCx_VII

dont think this kind of behavior will stop.. the black community will always find a way to blame others.. some police might be in the wrong doing... but most of the time blacks are the one causing the problem.. look at at those that got killled, all have serious or long criminal record but their community choose to ignore them..

many of these kids are raise by one parent so they lack love and protection.. most have no eduction or very little of... impossible to find work... so they expect things just handed to them ...

dont think this kind of behavior will stop.. the black community will always find a way to blame others.. some police might be in the wrong doing... but most of the time blacks are the one causing the problem.. look at at those that got killled, all have serious or long criminal record but their community choose to ignore them..

many of these kids are raise by one parent so they lack love and protection.. most have no eduction or very little of... impossible to find work... so they expect things just handed to them ...

Wow.

Apart from that statement before the last ellipses, "so they expect things just handed to them", what's so wow about that statement?

There's nowhere to start with how ignorant a comment that was.

I'm not really interested in explaining basic socio-economic policy to people that have no concept of it.

There's nowhere to start with how ignorant a comment that was.

I'm not really interested in explaining basic socio-economic policy to people that have no concept of it.

Actually, you know what, I'm starting to see it. But replace "blacks" or "black communities" with something more accurate, and he's not that wrong.

Was gonna write a detailed response to this, but I realized there's no point to arguing with someone who's so ignorant and can't put together a sentence (while saying others have no education).

You know why black people want things handed to them? It's because everyone else actually gets these things handed to them. But how dare they ask for equal treatment by the institutions that have power over them, right?

By the way, you'll find that the black community will be the first to admit to many of their own problems. The responsibility is shared.

What that person posted was utterly devoid of merit in every way.

don't think this kind of behavior will stop.. the black community will always find a way to blame others.. some police might be in the wrong doing... but most of the time blacks are the one causing the problem.. look at at those that got killled, all [many] have serious or long criminal record but [and sometimes] their community choose to ignore [it]..

There. I did my best to make it half decent.

Educate yourself about sociology, human psychology, and economic history rather than asking a poster on CDC to do it for you.

I was making a statement, I wasn't asking you to do anything.

Archived