The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Live Long Enough to Become the Villain (Bieksa)

DhillonCanuck

The hate that Bieksa has garnered is unbelievable, this is the same guy who scored the winning goal to send us to the finals, that goal was just as important as Burrows'. This is the same guy who took a paycut to stay here. He has a year left and after that he would likely play for dirt cheap and be a serviceable defenseman to close out his career. His season was tainted because he played with a garbage player like Sbisa.

Take note most of you may not have noticed, but after Sbisa had that brutal giveaway on Ferland's goal, him and Bieksa only took shifts with the twins. This shows how Sbisa has brought down his dman. Doesnt anyone remember how well this guy plays if played with a proper partner. Just look at Edler, he looks terrible when he plays with anyone other than Tanev, why not trade him he has a greater value. You don't trade players like Bieksa, and the funny thing is if you think about it for a second none of you truly want to. You people love this guy but are trying to hate him after one series where Sbisa was the worst player and brought him and the whole team down.

You either die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain..Bieksa is what this city needs but not someone who we deserve

Thanks OP, I was just starting to get over the nightmare that was Bieksa AND Sbisa together not only in the regular season but in the playoffs. That's the kind of nightmare I was trying to suppress, you shan't be forgiven.

The hate that Bieksa has garnered is unbelievable, this is the same guy who scored the winning goal to send us to the finals, that goal was just as important as Burrows'. This is the same guy who took a paycut to stay here. He has a year left and after that he would likely play for dirt cheap and be a serviceable defenseman to close out his career. His season was tainted because he played with a garbage player like Sbisa.

Take note most of you may not have noticed, but after Sbisa had that brutal giveaway on Ferland's goal, him and Bieksa only took shifts with the twins. This shows how Sbisa has brought down his dman. Doesnt anyone remember how well this guy plays if played with a proper partner. Just look at Edler, he looks terrible when he plays with anyone other than Tanev, why not trade him he has a greater value. You don't trade players like Bieksa, and the funny thing is if you think about it for a second none of you truly want to. You people love this guy but are trying to hate him after one series where Sbisa was the worst player and brought him and the whole team down.

You either die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain..Bieksa is what this city needs but not someone who we deserve

WOW that's quite the hate on for Sbisa. Not sure what games you were watching (if at all), sorry but you can't honestly think that Sbisa was the reason for the losses. He may have made a few mistakes out there but no more than Edler,Tanev, Hamhuis and lets not forget Weber. We were outplayed in the game of playoff style hockey, our D was looking over their shoulders every time they touched the puck at the same time trying to find a forward to pass to. Until the league says we will play with the same rules on a consistent basis in both the regular season and playoffs (doubt it happens) we will be in the same boat again unless we play the same style of hockey as the Flames, Bruins,Kings and Hawks. I personally would love to see the League get rid of the BS guys in charge and play good hockey (same rules) all the way thru.

So I have A question for CDC where did the idea that Sbisa gives the puck away like candy come from. I know he was bad at the start of the year but I didn't really notice it during the playoffs and the time keepers seem to a agree with me as he was only credited with 1 give away, the fewest of our defense. Now I know those stats are prone to human error but if he was as bad as most people here seem to think wouldn't that number be higher...

Now I don't mean this as a way to take a shot at Bieksa but there seams to be a problem on this board where to defend one player you have to bring down another and I think this needs to stop.

People have always targeted Bieksa and will likely continue to but to blame other players is not the way to defend him. If you want to defend Bieksa talk about what he brings to this team like heart, leadership, and toughness.

So I have A question for CDC where did the idea that Sbisa gives the puck away like candy come from. I know he was bad at the start of the year but I didn't really notice it during the playoffs and the time keepers seem to a agree with me as he was only credited with 1 give away, the fewest of our defense. Now I know those stats are prone to human error but if he was as bad as most people here seem to think wouldn't that number be higher...

Now I don't mean this as a way to take a shot at Bieksa but there seams to be a problem on this board where to defend one player you have to bring down another and I think this needs to stop.

People have always targeted Bieksa and will likely continue to but to blame other players is not the way to defend him. If you want to defend Bieksa talk about what he brings to this team like heart, leadership, and toughness.

You're correct that he doesn't overtly give the puck away in a manner that would be recorded as a "giveaways" (ie being stripped of the puck). However, he does often lose 50/50 puck battles along the boards and turns the puck over with bad clearing attempts both of which are not recorded as giveaways yet they are turnovers.

It should be noted that often the best players in the league are the ones who have the most giveaways. Simply because they have the puck the most and thus are in a situation to giveaway the puck the most. Giveaways (or turnovers) become a problem with low possession players (players who don't often have the puck -Sbisa) because despite not having the puck much they still turn over the puck at an abnormally high rate.

Every real Canucks fan has a soft spot for Bieksa, He has long been the only tough defense man we have had. The only guy who sticks up for his team mates etc. etc.

The reason he is garnering this much hate is because due to his age he has declined to the point where he is no longer a viable option. His main job has always been a shutdown role. He is not fast/quick enough to play that role anymore. He brings nothing offensively (despite his important goal that we will always remember and appreciate) and physically he has lost it as well which is understandable considering his long career playing a physical brand.

In short, he deserves to be appreciated and remembered fondly, but should not be on the team next year unless its as a 6-7 defense men but unfortunately hes being payed like a 2nd pairing defense men.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sbisa passed it directly into our net (might as well have) on the game tieing goal in games 6. He slightly redeemed himself by scoring the go ahead goal but if you didnt notice how bad he was ( among our worst players all series, mathias, bieksa, sbiza, bonino, Weber) then you are blind sir. He and Bieksa were embarrassingly bad all series.

Our back end used to be our strong point, now we have Bieksa, Sbisa, and Weber in our top 6 somehow, all of whom should not be on a playoff roster.

Stop living in the past and open your eyes to the here and now. Bieksa isn't the same guy he was in 2011. He is 2 mil over paid, hell Sbisa is probably 2 mil over paid (obvious over exaggeration is obvious but I digress). They are probably the 2 biggest reasons we were so bad defensively this year.

It is easy to get emotionally attached to players just like many of us with Luongo..But if it means helping the team than changes need to be made. Don't get me wrong, I like Bieksa as much as the next guy but let's face it, His best years are behind him.

Having said that, He is probably our only dman who stands up for everyone of his teammates , So there is that element..

Why should we put Bieksa or any other player ahead of what is best for the team? The one thing that is obvious is Bieksa is no longer a net positive to this team on the ice. You choose to blame that on Sbisa which is ridiculous. Sbisa is young and has time on his side. Having said that it is not a coincidence that every Dman the past two years who has played with Bieksa has struggled during that time and managed to play well with other partners far more often than not.

His denial about the core group getting the job done and his statement that young players are not the answer show just who he is in it for and it isn't the betterment of the team. It is about protecting his job. That much was painfully obvious in his comments.

People need to get over 2011. It's beyond embarrassing now. It was a great run despite the team almost choking yet again in the first round vs Chicago. But we lost. And Bieksa was as big a reason for that as every other player on the team. Same as this year. The core group could not get the job done yet again.

The fear of change on cdc and within the canucks organization is laughable. Change doesn't automatically mean worse. Hanging on to guys like Bieksa because you might not find someone better is a loser mentality. Winners take calculated risks. They put the team goals above making every player an untouchable even when they are terrible on the ice.

Trade him this summer. Go with youth and fresh leadership. If his salary off the books can get us a guy like Green or Franson then waive him if he refuses to be traded. I am sure he will be a good fit in Edmonton or Buffalo. This team needs to look forward not back to 2011. It needs to change with the times. Bieksa is like a VHS tape in a digital world. We all fondly remember when they were a revelation but now they are obsolete.

The other thing that bugs me is people make out like Bieksa is the only player in the NHL that the Canucks could find to fight once in awhile and stick up for teammates. That dynamic is easily replaced by a player making a quarter of what Bieksa does. He doesn't provide offense. He doesn't play good defense. There are tons of third pairing quality guys out there who can do that cheaper. And clear the crease or drop the mitts once in awhile.

People overvalue those things and paying someone 4+ million to do that is a losing recipe in a cap world. Our D needs to get better. Edler, Tanev, and Sbisa are locked up. That leaves Hamhuis and Bieksa as places to make changes. Hamhuis brings a lot more that is tougher to replace.

It is not hate it is reality. Bieksa needs to go.

I agree with you that Kevin has been a great player and an even better person for the years he has been in Vancouver. The going down with the ship statement also emphasized that and Kevin has by far become one of my favorite players in the entire league just because of his values and toughness.

However, I also loved Kesler and Luongo as players, and they are no longer with the club. In order for this team to be a better team in the long-run players need to leave. The Canucks defense is just not strong enough and it has been evident throughout the entirety of the season. Changes need to be made otherwise they won't get closer to winning a cup. With the youth movement that is under construction, the vets will eventually be replaced by younger players ready to become veterans for this club. The real issue is that this teams core is just not giving the Canucks enough to reach the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup. This hurts all of us because these are the players we have watched over the years and rooted for. Its tough to see these guys go, but we are all still here after Kesler and Luongo have left cheering for the same team. You can't give Kevin enough credit for what he has done for this organization, but can he offer much more than what he already has? Alex Burrows is another player I think management will have a long look at either this season or the next for the same reason. We need to continue getting younger. The Sedinss are the only untouchables in this organization.

Sbisa just like any other defender becomes better with experience and I think we saw glimpses of the player he can be and should be next season. I see a lot of similiarities in their games and when given more opportunity and the confidence of the management I can see Sbisa growing into a crucial part of the group of defenders moving forward.

This off-season could really be the perfect time for the Canucks to offload veterans in return for picks/prospects. There is a lot of depth in the organization and young players are ready to be given the chance to prove themselves. I would be willing to see the Canucks ice a younger and perhaps even weaker team next year for the greater good of the future. I'm not talking about shinkaruk and mccann making the team but I could imagine the Canucks would be going for something similar to this next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Dorsett - Horvat - Kassian

Kenins - Vey - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Sbisa - Corrado

I suppose it was inevitable. We're meant to believe that he's a 3rd-pairing guy now, and his cap hit is just too darn high for that. $4.6mil pales in comparison to a lot of 'do all' top-4 d contracts being signed lately. And yes, Bieksa is still top-4 d, if not top-2, on a lot of teams. (Yannick Weber above him on a depth chart? Please.)

It's a shame, really. Watching these guys leave. Inevitable, I guess. But still a shame.

Sure, Luongo went back to sunny Florida and who knows if he ever really wanted to be here.

And Kesler with his abrasive personality was an easy target to twist around into the enemy.

But with Bieksa, you don't get the sense that he actually wants to leave. And he's probably one of the most likeable guys ever to wear the orca. A true leader who's been here through thick and thin, spoke up and said he's here to the bitter end.

So what are we to do? Does the team become the bad guy and ask him to kindly leave? Or do they wait until his ufa status and watch him probably leave regardless? It's a tough decision to make. Esp. considering part of the sell is to have vet leadership around to guide the young players coming up. I don't think a 'model' team like Detroit, for instance, would ever let a player like Bieksa go.

However, if he's constantly on the third pairing with Sbisa and Stanton anyway, you get the feeling the inevitable is unavoidable. It's a shame.

The media asked both him and Hamhuis an honest question. I have seen nothing in the media attempting to run him out of town. Do you have specific articles to link to this claim?

Which teams would you objectively say he would be a top 2 on? Seriously I get the hard on for him based on his past accomplishments but there is no team in the league where his on ice play at both ends at this point would put him on the top pairing. Top 4 on weak teams and 3rd pairing on any team with cup hopes.

Archived