The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Live Long Enough to Become the Villain (Bieksa)

DhillonCanuck

To the topic at hand; which core guy is a villain that needs to be moved to advance the future Canuck cause?

And in commenting, its worth noting we have been dismantling waaay more than is acknowledged. Lou, Schneids, Kesler is a massive hit from our core already. Garrison on the next rung of the ladder. All in the cause, acrimony or not in deciding who, of creating cap space, roster space for the youth movement, headspace from distractions and yes acquiring assets.

I remain against any serious further dismantling of the team. I like our build with leadership from some of the old guard approach!

I don't think, despite WSA and others, we will sell Bieksa or Hanhuis. Not before the deadline anyway. We have D men (Weber, Corrado, Clendenning, Statnton) who can earn a roster spot if there is a vacancy. But I don't think they are guys who can make the roster and lift the team. Those players also add match up problems in comparison to the old guard should we shoe them in. I suppose that outlook could be significantly altered if we can score a significant PMD or stalwart physical D man via trade or free agency.

I truly hope we look at adding a significant D man or D prospect in some fashion this summer!

But it seems obvious we have to invest at least one more core player towards the cause this year. For cap space to add that D man. Our team needs to improve there or we will cut the legs out from any retool. Candidates are Higgins, possibly Hansen and MILLER in my mind!

Next year we will then see when of Bieksa or Hamhuis added to the list / one retained IMO.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-face-pointed-questions-after-early-exit/

Juice needs to go, he's more delusional then a 94 year old mental patient from riverview. He thinks this core can still

Get a cup without getting younger. Guy is the most arrogant moron on the team And is just trying to keep his job.

Now you're just full of sh*t. And obviously he wants to keep his job... lol

You do know the ufa's that turn up every summer don't just fall off a turnip truck don't you?

Teams in the playoff race don't tend to weaken their team or depth by unloading pending ufa's. This is what teams out of the playoff race do. Nashville and St Louis both have 6 pending ufa's. Should they have moved at least them at the deadline, you know, because Anaheim just looked too tough? Chicago was only one point ahead of us in the standings, maybe they have been looking to move at least some of their seven pending ufa's?

Anything can happen in the playoffs. The only real guarantee regarding the cup is you can't win it without making the playoffs.

Veterans have already earned their spots. It's up to the prospects to show they are the better option to take the spot away. Something Kenins and Horvat accomplished this season, and Vey to a lesser extent. Sometimes when a ufa leaves the spot is left open for prospects to compete for.

These aren't new or strange practices to anybody that's followed the sport for any real length of time though.

Context of where all those teams you "compared" the canucks to is important. All of those teams have much better top end talent and D than the Canucks do. And all of them have better depth throughout their roster and in their prospect pool though that gap is narrowing thanks to Benning.

None of those teams needed to sell because they all had a legitimate chance at playoff damage. They are quite simply much better teams. I struggle to understand why anyone believes this canucks team is in the same league come playoff time as any of those teams. St Louis chokes sure but honestly I would take their team in a straight across trade for the Canucks in a heartbeat if playoff style players is the goal.

And actually I totally disagree with your Union mentality that once earned a spot does. It need to continue to be earned. Guys like Higgins and Bieksa have played themselves down the efficiency ladder and any one of the young guys currently looking for jobs on this team easily replace what they bring in those roles. Higgins is a bottom 6 player miscast as a top 6 and pp guy. Give me Baertschi or Kassian making mistakes to generate offense over his predictable offensive futility anytime. Bieksa could easily be replaced offensively and defensively by any one of Corrado, Clendening, or even Stanton with likely better results and certainly better potential to improve.

The anything can happen in the playoffs mantra of also ran teams is a myth. You still have to actually be a good team, play consistently good hockey, and -if recent history is any indicator - rely on developing young players in key roles.

Nothing in the way the Canucks have played most of the last half decade or so in the playoffs screams out anything can happen. More like here comes another disappointing showing by an apathetic group of overconfident core vets.

Context of where all those teams you "compared" the canucks to is important. All of those teams have much better top end talent and D than the Canucks do. And all of them have better depth throughout their roster and in their prospect pool though that gap is narrowing thanks to Benning.

None of those teams needed to sell because they all had a legitimate chance at playoff damage. They are quite simply much better teams. I struggle to understand why anyone believes this canucks team is in the same league come playoff time as any of those teams. St Louis chokes sure but honestly I would take their team in a straight across trade for the Canucks in a heartbeat if playoff style players is the goal.

And actually I totally disagree with your Union mentality that once earned a spot does. It need to continue to be earned. Guys like Higgins and Bieksa have played themselves down the efficiency ladder and any one of the young guys currently looking for jobs on this team easily replace what they bring in those roles. Higgins is a bottom 6 player miscast as a top 6 and pp guy. Give me Baertschi or Kassian making mistakes to generate offense over his predictable offensive futility anytime. Bieksa could easily be replaced offensively and defensively by any one of Corrado, Clendening, or even Stanton with likely better results and certainly better potential to improve.

The anything can happen in the playoffs mantra of also ran teams is a myth. You still have to actually be a good team, play consistently good hockey, and -if recent history is any indicator - rely on developing young players in key roles.

Nothing in the way the Canucks have played most of the last half decade or so in the playoffs screams out anything can happen. More like here comes another disappointing showing by an apathetic group of overconfident core vets.

I see Bieksa as a key player still in our team. A player who is tailor made to bring on the young players as we continue into our rebuild. Furthermore I would doubt we have anyone ready to fill his boots yet.

Your comment about accepting Sven and Kass mistakes to generate offence while not accepting that Bieksa is probably our most offence incline D and therefore takes more risks, is a bit silly.

A mistake is a mistake, whether it is at the back or the front, in the regular season or the playoffs.

The idea is for the whole team to cut them to a minimum.

Wallstreet

Your post above makes a lot of sense. Players must constantly earn their position in the line up. A players history counts and should be taken into account but nobody's place in the line up should be guaranteed. So, I think that you're contradicting yourself when you suggest that you would accept mistakes from Baertschi and Kassian ahead of a sound but unspectacular veteran.

In my opinion, Higgins and Bonino should really be on the 3rd line. However, until there are other players who can handle the defensive responsibilities of the 2nd line and play better offense or if they have an offensive ability that overshadows the odd defensive gaffe, the status quo should stand. I would like to see Baertschi and Horvat on the 2nd line but not until they are ready. Same goes for Kassian but he has to show that he is ready to play with the Sedins. Until then, I think the job is Burrows. So, essentially I agree with the end result that you describe but not until the younger players earn the spot. In other words, not until they are ready.

The final lines in your post are respectfully, just plain wrong. The Canucks were the best team in hockey 4 years ago and I would suggest that the cup loss was due to team injuries and they didn't have enough depth to get over it. There is nothing apathetic about the current core. They are all over 30 now and on the downside of their careers and are beginning to lose a step. It happens to everybody. In the meantime, I don't see anybody ready to take their places. Yet.

Archived