The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Live Long Enough to Become the Villain (Bieksa)

DhillonCanuck

Other than sentimental wishful thinking garbage can you give specific examples of how Bieksa made us better this season and playoffs? And which players do you feel are the ones responsible for yet another choke job?

Good questions. And the title of this thread puzzles me. Last time I checked trades are made by the GM not by the media. The media can't "run" anyone "out of town".

Can anyone really believe that Benning and Linden talking to each other and saying "Gosh, Tony Gallagher thinks we should trade Bieksa. I guess we better do what he says".

And if heart and commitment could keep a player going despite age-related decline Trevor Linden would still be playing for the team instead in the front office.

Choke job? You make it seem like we were legit contenders this season. We drafted 6th overall last season. We had a good turn around and made the playoffs a lot earlier then was pegged by experts and some fans. Hardly a "choke job".

Aside from the obvious of losing an elimination game they led by three goals, Calgary did not win the series. The Canucks lost it. Simple as that. The Canucks should have beaten Calgary.

Anyone who would look at recent history and not apply a choker label on this team is delusional. Do you guys even watch how other teams play in the playoffs?

Good questions. And the title of this thread puzzles me. Last time I checked trades are made by the GM not by the media. The media can't "run" anyone "out of town".

Can anyone really believe that Benning and Linden talking to each other and saying "Gosh, Tony Gallagher thinks we should trade Bieksa. I guess we better do what he says".

And if heart and commitment could keep a player going despite age-related decline Trevor Linden would still be playing for the team instead in the front office.

All true.

I am a believer that if you can make the team better you have to put that ahead of what is right for an individual player.

I remember all the ridicule for Calgary on this board for not accepting reality and hanging onto overpriced feel good story players for one more shot every year. What exactly is different in what the Canucks have been doing?

Love or hate aside when you look at it on the ice we need someone better than Bieksa. And Higgins. And other core players. If those guys fit into smaller roles then you keep them to be good mentors. The problem is Bieksa quite obviously is not willing to accept that based on his comments.

The playoffs every year prove that a key component of the best teams is young players that step into key roles pushing vets to supporting roles as time goes on. If you are not moving towards that in most cases you are moving backwards relative to your competitors.

Bieksa as a 15 min 3rd pairing guy not on the PP is the kind of role he could fill without hurting the team and taking advantage of his intangibles. With enough elc players in the lineup you can even ignore his cap hit. Unfortunately you can't do that with 6 or 7 players on your roster not playing the way you need them to in key roles.

Bieksa brings the least on the ice relative to his cap hit and is one of the ou d not recently extended. It is basically him or Hamhuis where changes will be able to happen. I would rather keep Hamhuis of those two.

Very few Canucks fans thought we should let Mitchell go, it was management concern over his concussions that led to his departure was it not? This is different, this time it's the fans who appear to want him gone and the management who seemingly don't (only time will tell of course).

One thing's for sure, if Juice goes, or Burrows, or Edler, then the Sedins will have a much less familiar and much less comfortable locker room.

And I think that's a good thing.

Media can try to run him out all they like but if you watched the end of season exit interviews I think juice made it quite clear he isn't waiving. I think Hamhuis answer could possibly indicate that he would be willing if they asked.

Personally although Bieksa is declining I think he is an important part of this team and if he was paired with someone who was a bit more defensively liable that he would be a bit better.

I like the idea of him becoming an assistant coach with the team when he is finished playing. The guys got heart he just isn't as good as he used to be.

Bieksa and Burrows are two of the core I wouldn't want traded.

Bieksa is a good team guy but he does look slower and his skating and timing has slowed down since his return from injury...like the guy but he does get burned too many times...if was used in proper situations it would have been better.

/end thread

I do agree that there has been lots said on talk radio here in town about "the decline of Bieksa." While I think the Canucks should look at trading almost anyone, if Bieksa stays another year or two to support the youth coming in I would be fine with that. He is also a relatively cheap cap hit, and I think he still plays with a lot of heart.

Here's the thing, he's great and all, but you have to change up the D core. He's the only piece you can move really. Edler and Tanev aren't going anywhere, neither is Sbisa, we just signed him. Corrado and Clendening are both waiting patiently to play, and like Bieksa, they are both RHD. Hamhuis isn't replaceable currently, and no one can take over. This is why Bieksa is the most expendable.

If we don't move him, expect the same thing next year. The exact same thing. I don't know about you, but I don't want to watch another year of our D core get exposed, I'm done with that. Bieksa out and Corrado/Clendening in for a fraction of the price is really going to help our situation, and who knows, maybe the pick we get for him turns out to be a stud.

It's just time to move on. Yes, I love Bieksa, I have a shirt and jersey of his, but this is a business. You don't win by being loyal to your players even if they aren't performing. Bieksa is past his good years, and even if he can still play, it's not worth $4.6M.

So many unloyal fans in Vancouver.. Bieksa is all heart... why would you want him to go.. he's a leader, he's good with the fans.. an excellent role model for kids in Vancouver.. funny as hell, and gives us the only grit we have on our blue line.. keep him until he retires.. it's time to return loyalty to the players that have been loyal to vancouver... this is how you get the right players to want to come here...

So many unloyal fans in Vancouver.. Bieksa is all heart... why would you want him to go.. he's a leader, he's good with the fans.. an excellent role model for kids in Vancouver.. funny as hell, and gives us the only grit we have on our blue line.. keep him until he retires.. it's time to return loyalty to the players that have been loyal to vancouver... this is how you get the right players to want to come here...

This is so much fail. You don't think four years of keeping the same group giving them chance after chance is extreme loyalty? What have the players given back in return? Lack of drive and desire. Half ass play come playoff time. No compete when the going gets tough. Big talk but no ability to bring it when needed.

I say the players need to earn loyalty and they haven't.

I am loyal to the team not individual players. Because it is about doing what is best for the team not what is best for a few entitled vets.

BOOM! goes the dynamite.

The media should be talking about stuff like this. Bieksa and his fans getting pissed off about it doesn't change reality that where it counts he has not been anywhere close to good enough. When the team could shield him with a guy like Mitchell or Hamhuis and they could complement his style he was an asset. Now any pairing he is on is where other d go to die. Not one other d on this roster plays better with him than without him a sure sign he is part of the problem.

One of the greatest Canucks ever, Markus Naslund, left here and hardly anyone seemed to even notice. Guess what? Life went on anyway. It always does.

No link. Theme of morning radio Canucks talk and polling question about whether or not he should be asked to waive, this following Tony G's 'Oh alright, I guess I'll be the one to ask' question yesterday.

Bieksa would be top-2 on the following teams:

Arizona

Edmonton

Colorado

Dallas

Carolina

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh, given constant injuries to Letang.

NYI, tying top RHD duties with Boychuk.

Buffalo

TO

Detroit

Possibly Columbus

For those thinking he is 'done', I put forward this:

Willie+Mitchell+2012+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Fin

But I think that is it though. Will he have a chance to do this here?

Omg if he can be a top 2 we can get a top pick plus prospect. No

Archived