The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending Situation Going Forward

MattA16

Yeah, the Canucks couldn't recover after that poor start. Calgary on the other hand had a very similar start early on in Game 6 and they went on to crush the Canucks.

Goaltending wasn't the problem in this series, one team wanted to win and the other was satisfied with getting this far.

Easy BS cop out answer honestly. They out played us, especially defensively, and thats why we lost. We got out played.

Demko or O'Connor will be an NHLer by that time, too

Highly doubt that. isn't Demko 19?

maybe in 5 years.

Split this season between Lack and Miller, trade Miller on his final season... unless he asks/SJ makes a good offer. If they made them split, Miller might ask for a trade anyway :D. Clearing that Cap would be great

Unless something amazing happens I don't think the Canucks would be true contenders, a Lack/Markstrom duo would probably get us into the 1st round next year. Lack has made leaps and bounds compared to last season when he took over for Luongo.

I just don't think Lack is ready for that work load.

Saw this in the link about O'Connor - interesting how so many here are saying Miller played poorly - yet others outside of CDC say it was Lack that didn't play well enough for us to win:

"The Vancouver Canucks already have two capable goaltender in Ryan Miller and Eddie Lack, but with Miller sustaining an injury before the playoffs the team elected to go with Lack. Lack did not play as well as the team needed and the Canucks were eliminated by the Calgary Flames in six games."

I think Lack gets dealt, Markstrom and others try to earn the backup spot. Lack cannot want to be a back up for another season, can he?

With the emergence of Mrázek, Hamburger, Lack it leaves the goalie market flooded again.

I don't think Benning will receive a good enough offer to dump Lack, Markstrom, Miller.

Markstrom needs a legit backup gig to take his game to the next level. I'm not sure how he will get that done in Vancouver.

With the emergence of Mrázek, Hamburger, Lack it leaves the goalie market flooded again.

I don't think Benning will receive a good enough offer to dump Lack, Markstrom, Miller.

Markstrom needs a legit backup gig to take his game to the next level. I'm not sure how he will get that done in Vancouver.

The return on Miller is the 6 mil in cap space.

The return on Miller is the 6 mil in cap space.

What team is going to take miller's 6m contract? All the contending teams he would waive for don't have the cap space.

Miller is here for the duration of his contract and the goalie market is flooded with the "Eddy Lack" types as it is. I say Eddy and Miller stay together and Markstrom is moved for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Lack will be almost 30 by the time Miller's contract expires. Either he's a starter by now or a back up for life.

He's 27 right now. In a year's time he'll be 28. Miller's contract will be up, and Lack will be our starting goaltender at 28 years old, with (hopefully) another 40ish game season and maybe some playoff action under his belt. That IMO is enough experience to let him get thrown in to a full time starting goaltender role.

Want to compare that age to some of the current starting goalies, particularly the ones doing well in the playoffs?

Craig Anderson, sure he lost the series but was outstanding. 33 years old.

Lundquist, probably going to win a Cup this season. 33 years old.

Price may be the best goalie in the world right now and isn't particularly young, he's 27.

Bishop is the same, he's 28 right now.

Age has nothing to do with how well Lack will perform, but experience and how he eases into the starting role will. If he's 28 by the time he becomes a true starter, give him a couple more seasons before he's got around 20ish playoff games under his belt and he's 30 years old. That may seem old, but look around the league - half of the goalies succeeding in the playoffs (and winning Cups) have been around 30+. Goalies take longer to develop and unless we hit it lucky and get one of these kid goaltenders who go on a fantastic, sparkling Cup run, we're not going to win a Cup.

Face it, Lack's our best shot at having a Cup winning goaltender. I'm not waiting around for Markstrom to develop, who hasn't shown he can translate AHL to NHL success yet, and I'm definately not waiting on O'Connor to do it when he hasn't even signed with the Canucks yet. You're pretty desperate if you think a kid is going to be this team's starting goaltender when he's fielding about 14 other offers and has no professional experience...

Can I ask why you are so key on getting rid of Markstrom? Are you sure Lack is Canucks goalie of the future. We have three goalies, letting Markstrom walk and then trading Miller as an upcoming UFA is just bad asset management. Especially if you think Demko or O'Conner will take over in 3-5 years. Why not trade the goalie that gives canucks the best return, be that Miller or Lack (I fully expect it to be lack). and then role with a tandem of Lack or Miller and Markstrom as the back up. How confident were you in Lack as a backup when Schneider got dealt? Giving up on Markstrom now does not seem like a smart move.

Again I'll point out Lack got his first start in the NHL Oct 06, 2013. He was 25 years of age and 10 months.

Markstrom right now is only 25 years of age and 4 months old. Yes he's currently younger than when Lack got his first start. He's got just as good as AHL numbers, and has been unreal this year in the AHL. Even our own goalie coach thinks he's got a bright future ahead of him and huge asset to the canucks.

Also you need to stop worrying about injuries. 70% of NHL teams are screwed if their #1 goalie gets injuried so you really can't worry about that and play the what if games. Having a 1a and 1b tandem is a luxury, not a necessity.

Because he's shown, numerous times over, that he is absolutely not an NHL calibre goaltender. In 50 NHL games he's gone 13-28-5, with a SV% of .896 & GAA of 3.18

Career AHL'er, if he's not then let him prove me wrong.

Miller got hurt and was playing hurt, and I felt that in game 6 he let in a few questionable goal. Though it's hard to really judge him because he was hurt.

I really liked Lack and felt he stepped up when the team needed him. I personally would be upset if they traded him. He deserved to play he did let in some softee's. I am not blaming either goalie by the way but I think overall his performance warrants him a actual look.

While watching the player interviews Lack sounded like he really wants to be here. He said something to the extent that this was 'home'.

Miller sounded like he liked being here as well and that it was important to get healthy. He did say that they played for the team and eachother... something I don't really recall Lu or schenids saying...not the same way....

So I am going be lame and say don't trade either one of them. Give them another year together, have Miller mentor Lack more.

Play Lack more but keep Miller as the starter, play them like a duo, like a team. None of this thing 1 and thing 2 crap lu and schenids had going on either...

Agree pretty much with this. I can see Miller and Lack both staying and sharing the load, with Miller getting slightly more of it. Miller's $6 mil contract will be hard to trade. He didn't have a stellar year (stats wise) and missed most of the playoffs. Add that to his age, and teams would have doubts about him. I can see Miller being ok with sharing more games with Lack. And I think Lack would be ok with the situation, knowing he'll probably be the starter the following year, if not by the end of next season. Miller could well have continuing injury problems at his age.

Miller and Lack will share about 60/40, I'm guessing, for the most part, and then there will be a lot of riding the hot hand.

A very likely scenario.

Easy BS cop out answer honestly. They out played us, especially defensively, and thats why we lost. We got out played.

I don't think so. They had the lead going into the third and blew it because the Flames cranked up the intensity and the Canucks didn't care to match it. If you believe the team truly played the best game they could muster, then this team is built only for half-assed regular season hockey. Like San Jose, they only have one speed in the playoffs: Slow.

Mrazek and Howard both played terrible heading into the playoffs. Mrazek is having a decent playoffs but that doesn’t mean he’s capable of being a full time #1 goalie. Would you say the same of Scott Darling, Hammond will stay in Ott which means Lehner will be available. Lacks only real competition for goalies on the trade market is Ramo, Neimi, and Dubnyk (which I see being resign in MIN so you can cross him off), As well as Reimer and possibly Ward are on the dealing list. There are a bunch of unproven that teams might test out as backups but not giving full time gigs (Darling, Lehner, Vasilevskiy, Gibson). Out of all those proven goalies, Lack is the cheapest cap hit, the youngest, and really the only goalie on the upward trend. If you’re a team like Buffalo, Oilers, Sharks or Hurricanes (if Ward gets dealt), a goalie like Lack would have to be on their radar. Are teams going to give up a top 10 pick for Lack alone, Not likely, but if a team like Oilers or Sabres happen to have multiple first round picks, now we might be on to something.

I’m really leaning towards Lack being dealt, over the next 3-5 years, canucks are what they are. An aging team in the transition to adding youth, we are a team that’s good enough to compete for a playoff spot each year and with a little luck make a playoff run. We are not a PT team and we are not a lottery draft pick team. It’s going to take a few years before the next core is really going to step up and make this team a serious threat, stock piling up extra picks and prospects is only going to speed up that process. So do we keep Lack in the prime of his career while this team transitions or do we think long term, trade Lack, obtain a good pick. Lack and Miller are very similar in play so it’s not like canucks are hurting their team going with either guy in terms of quality of goaltending.

Miller plays out his contract mentoring Markstrom, he would be 27 just entering his prime, when Miller’s contract is up, ready to take over the full time role, JB doesn’t look bad from signing then trading a player. Canucks will have a ton more youth in their line up by that time, Burrows, Higgins, Bonino, Bieska, Hamhuis, Vbrata would have all went through UFA status before then. Canucks get a future piece in the Lack deal to help replace those losses. Really it’s a win, win minus losing a good character guy.

Because he's shown, numerous times over, that he is absolutely not an NHL calibre goaltender. In 50 NHL games he's gone 13-28-5, with a SV% of .896 & GAA of 3.18

Career AHL'er, if he's not then let him prove me wrong.

A -He was thrown into the NHL at a young age and expected to be a start

B- He played with the Panthers

C- What had Lack shown you at the NHL level before he turned 26

D -What had Bishop, Howard, Crawford, or Smith showed the NHL before they were 26

E- Markstrom is 25 years old. Most goalies don’t get a shot in the NHL until they are 25. Well he’s done everything to prove he deserves his shot and that shot is as a backup to the canucks next year.

If people think Lack is the guy, done, make him the guy, trade Miller. Let Lack prove to us he can be that guy, playing a 30/50 split doesn’t prove anything more than we already know. Honestly what more does he have to prove to show he can handle it? Really think about this. How does Lack, at 28 years old continue in developing to be a number 1 NHL goalie. He’s already played 2 split seasons, he’s put up decent NHL numbers, he’s already played in pressure games down the stretch of the regular season and playoffs. He is at the point where the safety net (being considered the backup) needs to be let go and he needs to be giving the reigns. Playing anything less than 41 games is a step back in his development and puts us in the exact same spot as we are in today. If Lack is the guy why does he need Miller next year?

Keeping Miller along for another year as a safety net for Lack only hurts us long term. It sets Lack back another year of being a full time starter and it also gets rid of a promising asset in Markstrom and reduces Millers value as he’d be a 34 year old, 1 year away from being UFA.

It makes zero sense in keeping both Lack and Miller next season, unless we are thinking short term (cup or bust next season).

One of the two will be gone.

So won't receive a good enough offer to move anyone but Markstrom needs an NHL backup job and we can't have/don't need/want three goalies on the roster?

One of Lack/Miller HAS to go IMO and as the return (while better than we'd get for Miller) for Lack won't be great due to supply/demand for goalies, I'd prefer we keep him and move Miller and his $6m cap hit. Cap space will be the "return".

Archived