The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending Situation Going Forward

MattA16

The problem with keeping Miller is that he's too expensive a backup, he'll expect his pedigree to earn him the starting role as opposed to the need to actually outperform Lack, and any perceived additional upside some folks may believe he brings is outweighed by his 6 million cap hit imo.

I go with Eddie, move Miller, and potentially bring in a guy like Greiss to compete with Markstrom for the backup role.

I would rather see us move Miller mostly based on age and cap hit. And that sense of entitlement. Same reason to move some other high cap hit vets. If the replacements are even close at a fraction of the cap hit then you can use that cap to add to areas where finding replacements internally is not so easy.

trade lack because he is good and can bring in the most value... trade markstrom as well. miller is fine, and we have the goalie that we just drafted .. demko...

I disagree, Miller will fetch you more in a trade than Lack, I doubt you can get more than a 2nd rounder for Lack. Markstrom you can't get much either, probably a 3rd or a 2nd tier prospect. Teams that are looking for a starting goalie want someone proven, Miller despite being older is the only proven goalie on this team

why is it whenever a backup goaltender does his job and steps in when needed and does admirably, people create a goalie controversy? Lack did what a backup goaltender is spose to do in an ideal world. We have a fabulous backup and he steps in when needed, that does not mean oooh he made saves now we HAVE to have him as the starter. What, is he spose to take over when Miller goes down and lose games by giving up 4-5 goals?

Do you people even know what a backup is for? Geezo.

Again we a great backup that can be called on when needed don't try to make it more than is needed, Miller is the starter they aren't going to trade him away after signing him...move on, nothing to see here.

As much as I like Bo Horvat, I will long lament the loss of Cory Schneider who is a rock solid #1 franchise goaltender and should be our #1 right now, Lack isn't even close. In Jersey they can't believe the year he had behind a team that wasn't competitive.

Now, for those who will tell me to just move on, fair enough, I just wanted to say it once.

I think Miller or Lack have to go. We will have to be Cap compliant by next season and we need to move some salary out. Miller wants to go to a California team. San Jose seems like the only option. If we can't swing that, then it will probably be Lack involved in a multi-player trade. I know everyone loves Lack, but we lost because Calgary got better goal-tending than us. Lack was only good, possibly real good. With the team we had, we needed great goal-tending.

Jb should be doing everything in his power to move Millers 6 million contract.

This contract is BY FAR Bennings biggest blunder to date.

We have him for two more years, we aren't winning a cup in the next two years so it's really quite irrelevent what his salary is. He's not hindering us from signing any of oir players because we really don't have anyone to sign. Any signing made at this point including sbisa is just a way to get a team on the ice for the next few years.

Lack will be almost 30 by the time Miller's contract expires. Either he's a starter by now or a back up for life.

Eddie is a starter now. But like all starters, he needs a solid back-up goalie that the team can rely on and even if I've been a big Markstrom fan, he doesn't seem to be able to run with the ball in the NHL...

If O'Connor signs then Lack gets traded because O'Conner will be the starter in Utica next season. If this happens

Lack to EDM for their early second round pick 30-35 range i think

I don't see how O'Connor signing affects which Canuck goalie gets traded.

If O'Connor signs Canucks could trade Lack, but could also trade Markstrom or Miller, keeping two of the three in the NHL with O'Connor to develop in Utica for 2 seasons.

To be specific, one possible scenario which wouldn't be surprising to see Canucks trade Markstrom, keep Miller and Lack, assign O'Connor to Utica and plan on bringing O'Connor to the NHL at the end of Miller's contract after the 2016-17 season. They'd only have to make sure Lack doesn't get disgruntled and leave in the summer of 2016.

It is also possible of course for the Canucks to trade Miller or Lack, but my sense from watching the management interviews yesterday with Benning talking about the importance of goaltending and Desjardins saying both Miller and Lack are good goaltenders and played well for them this season was that they are thinking of trading Markstrom, though with Lack still a possibility. I don't think Benning will trade Miller nor do I think Miller would be easy to trade with his current contract.

Its a tough decision for JB and TL.

If we had the Lack And Markstrom tandem all year we probably aren't in the playoffs. Especially if Lack was our starter that got crashed into and popped a knee leaving us Markstrom and Ericsson for that stretch run.

At the same time Lack gives us as much a chance to win as Miller in any game at a fraction of the price. If miller goes we need a veteran backup to replace him. Markstrom needs to be in a situation where he has a veteran goalie to play behind in the NHL to become better. Lack has had the good fortune of sharing creases with Schneids, Lou, and Miller which was huge in his development. Lack and Marky just wouldnt work well for either goalie or the franchise.

Archived