The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just "how young" do you think the Canucks need to get next season?

billabong

Not much change. This squad was perfect. Just poorly coached when it mattered.

Willie will learn for next year.

Hopefully one or two young guys make the team in favour of veterans but I don't see the need to get that much younger. You don't wana be the Oilers.

18 yr old Sam Bennett young might be nice, provided the team has enough guys who have 18 yr old Sam Bennett talent.

I'll accept that Virtanen is in that range, but the team doesn't really have anyone else who has Bennett levels of talent, do they?

regards,

G.

EDIT: I'm not including Horvat in the up and coming guys. He's already here.

we all know the Canucks need to get younger and faster but just "how young" is the healthy amount for both the Canucks success and player development.

Are we talking a full blown youth movement and guy this team of veterans?

Sedin-sedin-kassian

Baerschi-horvat-vrbata

Shinkaruk-bonino-hansen

Dorsett-xxxxx-virtanen

Or maybe 1-2 youngsters and continue a slow rebuild?

Or does it depend on who's ready?

Do we go the Calgary route and just have a litter of rookies and hope for the best?

Cassels between Dorset and Virtanin

Not much change. This squad was perfect. Just poorly coached when it mattered.

Willie will learn for next year.

Hopefully one or two young guys make the team in favour of veterans but I don't see the need to get that much younger. You don't wana be the Oilers.

This squad was perfect? Really? Then why aren't they 4-0 on their way to 16-0?

And it is so stupid to argue that adding young players to the lineup means we will be the oilers. Do they have leaders like the Sedins (who are not going anywhere)?

WD won't accept or live with mistakes made by young players. However mistakes by vets seem to be ok with him. As a result of this mentality I don't expect any more youth this year. Possibly Virtanen.

I'm hoping for Virtanen and bearcheese and it's an outside possibility.

No way it happens but really want Pedan here.

There is no golden formula for age, just as there isn't for skilled players or players with size. The players you have (or can move to get) are either ready or they aren't. You don't force square pegs into round holes because we have more round holes or someone else managed to make theirs fit.

The prospects that are ready will force their way in. The ones that aren't won't.

This squad was perfect? Really? Then why aren't they 4-0 on their way to 16-0?

And it is so stupid to argue that adding young players to the lineup means we will be the oilers. Do they have leaders like the Sedins (who are not going anywhere)?

I said they were perfect but just coached poorly in the playoffs. By the time Willie adjusted it was too late.

You can always get better and hopefully JB makes the proper adjustments but a few too many guys got raises they didn't necessarily deserve. Sbisa and Tanev both got over paid which takes money away from other players.

I should rephrase... Not perfect. They had the tools to win though. Couple different bounces and ultimately we could be playing the ducks. Hopefully we can make the proper adjustments. This team could miss the playoffs or win the cup next year... It all comes down to what changes are made and obviously coaching/chemistry.

Sucks that we can't simulate through the summer like you can in nhl =(

We might want to have only one or two young guy stepping up and make the roster each year. If we think that the average career of a team might be 4 to 5 years and we have 20 man unit, theoretically we need about 3 to 4 young guys stepping in each year and only 6 to 8 regulars are about to retire from the game in next 2-4 years.

With that projection, ideally, we might want to slowly have the youth in the roster, at least 2 players per year to replace the veterans as they are getting older, one forward and one defense. Hamhuis and Bieska might not be with us so we might want to have the youth learning the ropes asap by letting go Weber and Matthais. It seems that Weber might be back and I don't mind him but only for one year contract. We do not want to have 5 new guys every year from the youth and they are not ready, losing their confidence 3 to 4 years from now once the veterans are gone.

Sedins, Burrows, Bieska, Hamhuis, Higgins are in their 30's and they could retire in next few years and we need to slowly replace the core by introducing the new core, and that new core could be their 4th liner to start and be a mianstay once these veterans are gone. If we remains stubborn on retaining the veterans, we could be talking about more rookies in 4 years in whom they are unproven and could not do anything because they do not have any mentors to help the young and the veterans are gone.

Well at the very least we need more than just Bo Horvat on the team to consider ourselves a 'young team' and to give others a legitimate shot at a spot on the team.

First off, it's come to the point where we need to look ourselves in the mirror and ask if Niklas Jensen will ever have a future on this team or if he is just another bust. In his defense he's only been given short stint looks, but in those short stints he hasn't shown much. Also I'm conviced Gaunce will be a 3rd liner at best. Then on the other end of the spectrum I think there will be a guy like Virtanen who will make an immediate jump onto the team next year, similar to Horvat or a Monahan. Corrado clearly has shown he has what it takes to play in the NHL and someone like Shinkaruk should be given a shot next year and who I think will have a good chance to make the team.

Archived