The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just "how young" do you think the Canucks need to get next season?

billabong

Jensen needs a full time roster spot

I agree, in context. jensen needs to be given a chance with the big club next longer than a few games to see if he can adjust his game. I would give him a quarter season to see how he ups his game at the top level. If he can't, he's likely not going to be an NHL regular. However, I think he has it in him.

I agree, in context. jensen needs to be given a chance with the big club next longer than a few games to see if he can adjust his game. I would give him a quarter season to see how he ups his game at the top level. If he can't, he's likely not going to be an NHL regular. However, I think he has it in him.

I think there's a difference between given a 'chance' and earning your roster spot...WD,TL and JB made it very clear that any roster spots would have to be earned...I hope that Jensens up to the task.

It sort of concerns me that Willie was so hesitant to give Horvat a shot at the beginning of last year admittedly due to age. And even when he was performing well and being one of our top players down the stretch and in the playoffs, he was still overlooked for ice time compared to some of our more underperforming players.

I just hope our young guys get a fair shot in the coming years in spite of Willie's "fear" of young players.

I thought they should have gone young last season. The general consensus was that it would create a "culture of losing" sim ilar to what Edmonton is going through at the moment.

Have people changed their minds about that?

I don't think they could have...besides Horvat ,none of the prospects looked anywhere near ready..IMO.

I thought they should have gone young last season. The general consensus was that it would create a "culture of losing" sim ilar to what Edmonton is going through at the moment.

Have people changed their minds about that?

I haven't. What we have is not a culture of winning anyway. It is a culture of good enough to avoid change.

Going young would bring a lot of excitement back even if it means mistakes and inconsistent play. I mean it's not like we don't have that with the vets anyway.

I don't think they could have...besides Horvat ,none of the prospects looked anywhere near ready..IMO.

I guess we'll never know....a lot of people probably thought that guys like Hoffman, Klingberg, Hayes and Stone weren't ready either

Don't you think vets should have to earn their spot too though? I do.

Absolutely,but Shinkaruk,Gaunce and Jensen were obviously not ready this last season...Hopefully,they come in to training camp and push for a roster spot...Virtanen,Cassels and McCann should make it more interesting.

if shinkaruk, baerchi, virtanen, gaunce make team id be pumped

sedin sedin vrbata

baerchi bonino shinkaruk

virtanen horvat kassian

dorsett gaunce

is a young fast team

Here is the fun part. Now subtract players in that line up for Vey, Burr, Hansen (though I'd keep Hansen) and Higgins' guaranteed spots.

Here is the fun part. Now subtract players in that line up for Vey, Burr, Hansen (though I'd keep Hansen) and Higgins' guaranteed spots.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Virtanen

Hansen-Richardson-Dorsett

Vey

Higgins gets traded.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Virtanen

Hansen-Richardson-Dorsett

Vey

Higgins gets traded.

I would be okay with Richardson's spot being taken by a young guy if they are ready.

Edler-Green

Hamhuis-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton/Corrado/Clendening/Weber

Getting a guy like Green is imperative imo.

Our D will not be any better without an offensive threat there. Even better would be

Edler-Green

Sbisa-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

That is three balanced quality d pairs. Instant offensive weapons with no appreciable decline in defensive play. Some size too.

It's not a matter of how young the team is, but of how good they are at NHL hockey. Simply put, the players that show up & give you the best chance of winning make the team. I love Willie's mantra with the Canucks of "Earned, not Given", it's exciting & gives a lot of opportunity for young guys trying to move up & experienced guys trying to stay in the game.

Archived