The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just "how young" do you think the Canucks need to get next season?

billabong

WD won't accept or live with mistakes made by young players. However mistakes by vets seem to be ok with him. As a result of this mentality I don't expect any more youth this year. Possibly Virtanen.

I'm hoping for Virtanen and bearcheese and it's an outside possibility.

No way it happens but really want Pedan here.

Is Pedan injured or scratched? He hasn't played a playoff game.

Also, which side does he play on?

It's not a matter of how young the team is, but of how good they are at NHL hockey. Simply put, the players that show up & give you the best chance of winning make the team. I love Willie's mantra with the Canucks of "Earned, not Given", it's exciting & gives a lot of opportunity for young guys trying to move up & experienced guys trying to stay in the game.

Until Willie actually applies that (hollow) philosophy to the core vets on this team too it is meaningless.

Are those 28 points in 59 games and -12 in Utica turning you on that much?

Jensen needs a fast, skilled playe,that forechecks well . He needs a good centre that can feed him the puck. His name is Bo Horvat

Burrows-Horvat-Jensen

Would be a great line

WD won't accept or live with mistakes made by young players. However mistakes by vets seem to be ok with him. As a result of this mentality I don't expect any more youth this year. Possibly Virtanen.

I'm hoping for Virtanen and bearcheese and it's an outside possibility.

I want him here so bad to. We definitely have something there in him. If he sent all of next year in Utica gets stronger and stays healthy would not be surprised if he gets a call-up or makes the team as a reg in 2016. Still young at 22

Edit - 21 ^

Opportunity can only be rewarded if the spots are available. Again, Benning needs to clean house, I understand the 'leader' Bieksa said no to his NTC, it would suck big time if most of the veterans don't agree to being traded.This will only make our team miss out draft picks and chances to get young. So far Bieksa has given the impression that he will not be leaving.

Getting younger does not mean what most of these youth movement people are talking about imo. To me, it means adding one or 2 rookies a year, hopefully "core" rookies as Benning calls them (guys who will develop into core players).

To my mind, "youth" means finding places in the line up (semi-permanent) for:

1. Kassian
  2. Vey
  3. Kenins
  4. Horvat
  5. Baertschi
  6. Corrado
  7. Clendening

And there is an outside chance for Virtanen and Biega

Like Linden says, players need to be put in a position to succeed. If they are advanced too soon, they will never reach their potential. Development is at least as important as drafting talent and this is why they want a winning team in Utica too.

I don't think they could have...besides Horvat ,none of the prospects looked anywhere near ready..IMO.

Big part of that was because a number of the prime ones weren't available -- Shinkaruk, Cassels, McCann, Virtanen, etc.

As long as he recovers and doesn't regress from last year, we'll see Pedan up at some point next season. He's progressed that much to where Green now expects it. And he's certainly the type of player the Canucks desperately lack.

Pedan, I think is in the plan for the following year (16/17) rather than next. Not to say that he won't get called up next year.

I don't think there is any plan to keep Bieksa after his contract expires and Pedan is likely to replace his snarl on the back end.

Pedan, I think is in the plan for the following year (16/17) rather than next. Not to say that he won't get called up next year.

As mentioned, two years was Benning's original plan, but Green expects he'll be called up next season as he's progressed better and faster than expected. Likely not permanently, but we'll probably see him for some games.

This squad was perfect? Really? Then why aren't they 4-0 on their way to 16-0?

And it is so stupid to argue that adding young players to the lineup means we will be the oilers. Do they have leaders like the Sedins (who are not going anywhere)?

As stupid as you saying every post you make about how Kassian and Sedins are the answer?

I would be okay with Richardson's spot being taken by a young guy if they are ready.

Edler-Green

Hamhuis-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton/Corrado/Clendening/Weber

Getting a guy like Green is imperative imo.

Our D will not be any better without an offensive threat there. Even better would be

Edler-Green

Sbisa-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

That is three balanced quality d pairs. Instant offensive weapons with no appreciable decline in defensive play. Some size too.

We're not getting Green. Way too expensive.

Franson, on the other hand, could be had at around 5mil per year. I'd take him around that much if we could shed cap elsewhere i.e. Alex Burrows.

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Higgins, Richardson/UFA/Prospect, Dorsett

Vey

Edler, PMD

Hamhuis, Tanev

Sbisa, UFA/Trade/Prospect (I'd love McQuaid)

Stanton, Weber/Clendening/Corrado

Lack, Markstrom

Kenins?

Archived