The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just "how young" do you think the Canucks need to get next season?

billabong

We're not getting Green. Way too expensive.

Franson, on the other hand, could be had at around 5mil per year. I'd take him around that much if we could shed cap elsewhere i.e. Alex Burrows.

Franson will only be marginally cheaper than Green and does not fill a required role on our D. We already basically have a similar player in Edler and already got rid of a similarly redundant Garrisson last summer. So Benning's going to rush out and sign Franson for $5m+ when we could have just kept Garrison? I don't think so.

I'd rather spend the extra ~$1.5m for Green and actually get the player we need (fast, can skate and pass the puck, push transition game, play off the Sedins, feed Edler etc).

Paying a little more for something you actually need is far better than skrimping and getting something you don't.

Besides a 2nd or 3rd pairing, big, physical, defensive defenseman, a fast, top 4 PMD is the main need on our D. We either get those things or we (sadly) stick with what we have IMO.

Franson, while a good player, is not what we need.

Kenins?

Utica until he gets recalled for injuries and when we move Higgins and/or Vrbata at the deadline.

We need bigger and more skill down the middle. Horvat is a good start. I would have loved to see Matthias step it up in the post season but maybe he just can't. Henrik has a couple more years left so face it that line is set like it or not. Horvat to the second, and two new centres for 3 and 4 Those are the moves that have to be made post season, In terms of D I think we could be alright they were plagued with injuries early on putting a ton of pressure and extra minutes on the likes of Sbisa and Bieksa

1-2 is about right.

Trevor and I are on the same page. You need to have those veterans to guide the young ones around.

Slowly transition out older players (1 or 2 a year) and bring in rookies that are ready to perform.

Ensures that the team will still be competitive (which is best for growth) and we'll see a changing of the guard in 2-3 years.

As stupid as you saying every post you make about how Kassian and Sedins are the answer?

Kassian and the Sedins are a good fit together. Are they the answer? Who knows. But the Sedins certainly played a more playoff friendly aggressive style with Kassian rather than the perimeter get the puck to Vrbata style or the cycle for 60 seconds style they showed with Burrows.

That stretch all three looked dangerous. That's what we need.

we all know the Canucks need to get younger and faster but just "how young" is the healthy amount for both the Canucks success and player development.

Are we talking a full blown youth movement and guy this team of veterans?

Sedin-sedin-kassian

Baerschi-horvat-vrbata

Shinkaruk-bonino-hansen

Dorsett-xxxxx-virtanen

Or maybe 1-2 youngsters and continue a slow rebuild?

Or does it depend on who's ready?

Do we go the Calgary route and just have a litter of rookies and hope for the best?

There is not much of a difference between the average age of the Canucks vs the average age of the Flames

I don't see that as a question with a tangible answer.

With the youth emerging, I could see a veteran being moved from all three groups - F, D and G.

My priority would be moving the G. Miller.

The other moves might make sense to expedite so as to avoid a waiver loss, but also may make sense to see how the roster emerges in training camp.

Age is not the primary factor in decision making in any event, so not a lot of use attempting to assess decisions on that basis imo.

The question is, how do we make room for them?

Who do we move out.

• Higgins is painful to watch in the offensive zone. Please move him.
  • Richardson is good; but we need better talent there, so we have to make room up the middle. Let go.
  • Matthias is a smooth skater with size. Keep.
  • Vrbata dissapears in the Playoffs. Trade if possible.
  • I like Burrows, but I think it is time to move on with him. Waive NTC or buyout. I know this is an unpopular opinion. He is still labelled by the League. This reflects upon the Canucks whether we like it or not.
  • Stanton is not used very much. We won't miss him very much.
  • Bieksa won't waive. They may ask and even convince him. We'll see.

hqdefault.jpg

You sir, are correct.

This made me laugh. This past year was the first time we had a kid in pre-novice (our other son started hockey at novice). It was hilarious to watch because the kids in pre novice are goons lol. Even the best ones pretend like they can't stop so they can bowl other kids over! Because penalties are rare. It's kind of like a flames charging to the refs comparison. Lol

All the have to do is get higgin,burrows, matthais, richardson, bieksa and/or hamhuis out of the line up and bring guys like gaunce/ virtanen/ jensen / maybe shinkaruk if he is ready/ bo sang/ corrado in if of course all these players are ready. And i really think vancouver not only gets faster but also get younger and less injury prone aka richardson/ bieksa

All the have to do is get higgin,burrows, matthais, richardson, bieksa and/or hamhuis out of the line up and bring guys like gaunce/ virtanen/ jensen / maybe shinkaruk if he is ready/ bo sang/ corrado in if of course all these players are ready. And i really think vancouver not only gets faster but also get younger and less injury prone aka richardson/ bieksa

Hopefully Baertschi, Gaunce, Corrado, and Clendenning are regulars

I think this is most likely with Gaunce coming in on LW. Frankly I think Kenins will be back in the minors next season, he didn't sustain his play and was a liability in playoffs. Could be good in future. The two D will be swapping days and filling injuries and maybe Sanguinetti will get some chances.

Virt seems unlikely but like Bo this year we could use the skill set he brings.

Leave Hunter in the minors for another year, doing spot duty with the big club. he was just starting to figure out the A.

my lines for coming season

sedin sedin vrbata

baert.horvat jensen

shink.bonino Hansen

kenings gaunse dorsett

edler tanev

hamhuis subban

sbisa corrado

xtra clendening Stanton grenier

trade Matthias rights let Richardson walk

trade kassian burrows vey Higgins bieksa for 2 rounders or good prospects

other trade options hamhuis bonino if a first rounder is involved

maybe even trade tanev for a very good deal? we need more offence from a guy playing his position on first pairing.

Archived