The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kevin Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver

Bieksa's faults are very apparent when he doesn't play with a shutdown defenceman. Hammer had a bad year too, maybe they should put them back together next year and see if they can rekindle the flame they played with seasons ago. Benning needs to pick up another defenceman this year to shuffle the pairings. On paper our back end isn't too bad. I think apart from Edler/Tanev our defensive pairs just don't seem to compliment each other.

I think Bieksa can be heralded for effort and commitment but I think he's just become slow. It happens to all players at some point. From what I've been reading about retired hockey players many they state that when they came to the last training camp of their career, they had lost a step. It happens in all sports.

Bieksa isn't isn't going to be any faster this fall, in fact I think he'll be that much slower.

A lot of fingers have been pointed at Sbisa yet I thought more than once Bieksa was the weak link on that pairing.

I have a felling Benning will be busier this off season than last.

I have a felling Benning will be busier this off season than last.

I agree. Time to bring some new flavour to this organization. But for some reason I see Juice staying. He is a levelheaded, confident guy. Even though his game has regressed, we need a few guys to help the youngsters transition.

Hamhuis, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen however need to go. We dont need to 'win' any trades, we just need to shuffle the deck... Our management has been so afraid to do that over the years.

Trade Bieksa and miller, should be able to get two 2nds it a 2bd and a 3rd, then sign green!!

Trade vrabata at the dead line and get a late 1st.

Next year sign Seabrook and Ladd after hammers contract finishes.

2016 lineup

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Ladd

Burrows Bonino Hansen

Gaunce Cassels Dorsett

Seabrook Green

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Corrado/Clendening

Lack

Markstrom

Trade Bieksa and miller, should be able to get two 2nds it a 2bd and a 3rd, then sign green!!

2016 lineup

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Ladd

Burrows Bonino Hansen

Gaunce Cassels Dorsett

Seabrook Green

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Corrado/Clendening

Lack

Markstrom

Can't trade Bieksa when he won't waive his ntc. Derp.

Also Green? He'll command 6mil+ and is spotty defensively and takes dumb penalties.

2016 lineup

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Ladd

Burrows Bonino Hansen

Gaunce Cassels Dorsett

Seabrook Green

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Corrado/Clendening

Lack

Markstrom

IN THE THREAD that says that he isn't going anywhere haha

Can't trade Bieksa when he won't waive his ntc. Derp.

Also Green? He'll command 6mil+ and is spotty defensively and takes dumb penalties.

IN THE THREAD that says that he isn't going anywhere haha

The thread is that Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver, not that he can't/won't be moved FWIW.

I "want" to be a millionaire rock star / NHL hockey player. We don't always get what we want ;)

Also Green is a career +58 with a positive corsi and 0.63 points per game. We'd be EXTREMELY lucky to get him.

The thread is that Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver, not that he can't/won't be moved FWIW.

I "want" to be a millionaire rock star / NHL hockey player. We don't always get what we want ;)

Also Green is a career +58 with a positive corsi and 0.63 points per game. We'd be EXTREMELY lucky to get him.

Green is good offensively but thats it, he's undisciplined and sloppy in his own end. His career +58 has more to do with being on a high scoring team as opposed to solid defensive play.

He'd also come in at around $6mil+ which is too much for us to spend right now.

As for your comment on Bieksa wants to stay, that's just it he wants to stay he's gone out of his way to state it numerous times. He has a ntc if a player with a ntc wants to stay and finish his contract he can and will like Sundin in Toronto.

Green is good offensively but thats it, he's undisciplined and sloppy in his own end. His career +58 has more to do with being on a high scoring team as opposed to solid defensive play.

He'd also come in at around $6mil+ which is too much for us to spend right now.

As for your comment on Bieksa wants to stay, that's just it he wants to stay he's gone out of his way to state it numerous times. He has a ntc if a player with a ntc wants to stay and finish his contract he can and will like Sundin in Toronto.

Players who are "bad defensively" don't tend to have consistent, positive corsi scores. Particularly on a team not terribly known for it's defensive play. He does. He also fills a hole we desperately need filling.

Why is $6m too much to spend right now? According to who? I'd prefer we spend $6m on Green than Miller thanks.

All I'm saying about Bieksa is that it's not impossible to move him. Unlikely? Sure. Impossible? Nope. Try not to think in such absolutes.

Players who are "bad defensively" don't tend to have consistent, positive corsi scores. Particularly on a team not terribly known for it's defensive play. He does. He also fills a hole we desperately need filling.

Why is $6m too much to spend right now? According to who? I'd prefer we spend $6m on Green than Miller thanks.

All I'm saying about Bieksa is that it's not impossible to move him. Unlikely? Sure. Impossible? Nope. Try not to think in such absolutes.

Not impossible to move, won't move because he has a NTC which he won't waive as he wants to stay.

Not impossible to move, won't move because he has a NTC which he won't waive as he wants to stay.

And will he still want to stay if his butt is being parked in the press box? If he's being waived and loses control over where he'd go? If he's asked to waive and feels unwanted?

I'm not saying those things will happen but they're not out of the realm of possibility either.

NTC just gives you some power over where you'll go, not whether or not you'll be moved. If the team wants you moved, you'll be moved.

That said, I'd be perfectly happy to move Miller and keep Bieksa (at least until the deadline) instead. We could still go after Green (though I'm doubtful we'd get him. McQuaid IMO is a far more realistic target.

And will he still want to stay if his butt is being parked in the press box? If he's being waived and loses control over where he'd go? If he's asked to waive and feels unwanted?

I'm not saying those things will happen but they're not out of the realm of possibility either.

NTC just gives you some power over where you'll go, not whether or not you'll be moved. If the team wants you moved, you'll be moved.

That said, I'd be perfectly happy to move Miller and keep Bieksa (at least until the deadline) instead. We could still go after Green (though I'm doubtful we'd get him. McQuaid IMO is a far more realistic target.

Putting him in the press box after all he's done for this franchise for the purpose of getting him to waive a ntc would be bush league and would not happen.

People who want Bieksa gone just need to accept the fact he will at the very least finish his term here. He may not get re-signed but mark my words he will play out his contract.

No trade clause means no trade clause meaning he has the right to say no to being moved should he choose too. He has the right to submit a list of teams if he accepts being traded, however he also has the right to say no altogether too.

Putting him in the press box after al he's done for this franchise for the purpose of getting him to waive a ntc would be bush league and would not happen.

People who want Bieksa gone just need to accept the fact he will at the very least finish his term here. He may not get re-signed but mark my words he will play out his contract.

No trade clause means no trade clause meaning he has the right to say no to being moved should he choose too. He has the right to submit a list of teams if he accepts being traded, however he also has the right to say no altogether too.

jason garrison said no. several times.

He may very well be. Claiming certainty of it (or anything really) though doesn't strike me as overly thoughtful.

There is a precedent for players with a ntc to play out their contract. Sundin was every bit as vocal as Bieksa about his that he would not waive it. Bieksa has said numerous times that he wants to stay.

Imo he will finish his term here and likely not be re-signed without a big pay cut.

Also if we were to pursue trading a ntc defenseman I would move Hamhuis before Bieksa just because he would net a bigger return.

Archived