The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kevin Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver

I have no problem keeping him here but he should play less minutes. He came into camp in best shape out of all players IIRC. He's a veteran leader and should stay. If he gets outplayed by somebody younger or if Benning simply gets a good offer for him, I don't think many people would have a problem with that either.

Bieska may want to stay in vancouver but if canucks don't plan on resigning him he doesn't really have a choice. If canucks let him know that they wont be resigning him, other than being stubborn, why would he not waive him NTC, especially if the canucks are willing to work with him on the team they deal with. Remember what Benning said last year. He's not afraid to ask players to waiver their NTC. Garrison a BC boy got dealt.

For anyone that thinks Bieska is going to take a 2 million dollar discount just to resign in vancouver after his contract is up... Zero chance that happens. On the open market there are still teams that will be willing to sign him 4 million plus I just hope that team isn't vancouver.

The people saying we should trade Bieksa or get rid of him are the same people who ran Naslund, Luongo, etc. out of town. Just stop. Bieksa is a Canuck for life whether you like it or not and he will be on the Canucks roster come training camp.

I wanted to keep both Nazzy and Luo. And was upset when we let both go. Thus your argument is invalid.

Tony Gallagher. Goes up to Hamhuis and Bieksa and asks them if they'd waive their NTCs if asked. What a flipping scumbag. Not just old and senile, but a scumbag. Somebody egg his car when he drives into his office.

Tony's just pissed because the morgue at VGH won't let him sleep there anymore.

Kevin Bieksa has no desire of leaving Vancouver and wants to return in a Canucks uniform next season:

The Canucks are expected to make some changes to their roster this off-season and veteran defenseman Kevin Bieksa is hoping he isn't one of them.

According to the Vancouver Sun, Bieksa does not want to be traded and has not spoken to management about waiving his no-trade clause.

"It's never been brought up to me," Bieksa told the Sun. "No one's ever even mentioned it. Everyone I've talked to in the organization has never said anything but positive things to me. I've never had one negative experience with a fan in Vancouver, not one fan say they didn't like me. Not one. For me, it's a couple of people writing articles."

Bieksa, who turns 34 on June 16, has one-year left on his contract that comes with a salary cap hit of $4.6 million, though he will earn $2.5 million in actual salary next season.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van150428.html

Bieksa obviously has not run into the guy named wallstreetamigo from CDC. That's one guy who has a serious online hate-on for Bieksa.

My heart says keep Bieksa...my head says move him. I seldom listen to what my heart says.

Bieksa won't be asked to waive his NTC. Hamhuis on the other hand might. Bieksa is a Canuck thru and thru. He shouldn't be and IMO will not be asked to waive. Canucks need him to mentor the next generation and provide solid leadership on and off the ice.

Love Bieksa and what he has done for the team. Moving forward however, I am very concerned with the Canucks defense and its depth/prospect pool. There just isn't enough new blood to inject into the back end and it leaves guys like Juice to pick up way more slack than they should at this point in their careers.

Personally I think management is continually putting our veteran warriors into situations that they can't necessarily handle effectively anymore and its about time this got addressed. Time to start building from the blueline out.

The plan may be to get Pedan up sometime during the season and have Bieksa to mentor him into the lineup. Dropping both him and Hamhuis is probably not the best idea.as our most-ready D-prospects are only borderline at this point, unless Clendening, Corrado, and Hutton show very well at camp.

I've been making exactly this argument for at least 3 months. Our defense is not ready to replace Bieksa, or Hamhuis for that matter.

The earliest I could see it would be the deadline next year. And I also would not be surprised to see them both retained & extended.

Hammer a lefty mentors Weber or Clendenning to soften an shortcomings they have.

Bieksa a righty mentors Sbisa and Stanton.

Hamhuis / Bieksa together is actually a formidable 3/4 pairing. Among the two or 3 best shutdown pairs just 3 years ago. And still competitive although not at that level. Our challenge is to get talent to form a 5/6 pairing behind them who can exist on their own merits. And ultimately take their place.

I'm not down with the Bieksa (or Hamhuis) hate. But I do see the need to add talent, size, and athleticism to our D. We should not stand pat either.

I've been making exactly this argument for at least 3 months. Our defense is not ready to replace Bieksa, or Hamhuis for that matter.

The earliest I could see it would be the deadline next year. And I also would not be surprised to see them both retained & extended.

Hammer a lefty mentors Weber or Clendenning to soften an shortcomings they have.

Bieksa a righty mentors Sbisa and Stanton.

Hamhuis / Bieksa together is actually a formidable 3/4 pairing. Among the two or 3 best shutdown pairs just 3 years ago. And still competitive although not at that level. Our challenge is to get talent to form a 5/6 pairing behind them who can exist on their own merits. And ultimately take their place.

I'm not down with the Bieksa (or Hamhuis) hate. But I do see the need to add talent, size, and athleticism to our D. We should not stand pat either.

Thats the thing, it's no secret that age is catching up with them. This D core has stayed relatively the same over the last 4 years. And it just not cutting it.

Watching the Ducks games just shows us our team needs a change on the back end. We are too soft, too slow, and not good enough handling the puck. There is 6 roster spots on the point. Whether we agree with it or not Tanev, Edler and with the recent signing Sbisa are all locks. That leaves 3 spots left to upgrade. With only 6 spots available you can't afford to have 2 spots taken up by mentors. This team needs a big hard hitting stay at home D, and a PMD who can control a PP. In order to sign those types of players you also need cap space.

This summer you trade one. Use that extra cap space to sign a UFA, then based on the play of the rookies and upcoming D you think about trading the other, if a kid can prove to be a replacement.

Edler, Tanev, Hammer, and Juice are not a top four that scares any teams. It's time to start building that next group, and I really don't see Sbisa and Weber as the answers

:picard: Dear lord if that's the defense for next year...

For either guy on that bottom pairing to work this team is going to need to add a dynamic skater to be their partner, since neither of them can really skate the puck out of trouble very well. Both are lumbering, slow defenders who can be solid in their own end, but put them together and... well, we saw how they did together. I hope they put Pizza Man with Karate Kid on the bottom pair and (if they REALLY don't intend to trade Juice) try him for a bit with Hammer. If they don't pan out and we lose Weber... it might be a long season.

sbisa is a good skater... that's not his problem at all.

Kevin Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver, and dag gummit, I think Canucks management should accommodate him. Now that the 12 year circumvention contracts are off-limits, we should still sign him for 5 million per season (cap is going up, remember) for all his past accomplishments and awesome leadership skills, his vocal musings, hard glares, unique passing and shooting skills, handling of the puck as if it were a grenade with its pin just pulled, his comical attempts to lighten the load of long-suffering Canucks fan by bouncing off his checks as though the circus were still in town, his (again) comical ventures into the opposing zone where he instigates a whiffed wrister, his matador o-lay! skills against the oncoming counter-attack (that one's good many times a game), his too-cool-for-school figure eights in his own zone to calm the hair-raising apprehension of fans whenever he's on the ice, his ability to hit the skates of his teammates with passes which necessitates an adventurous skills competition for the Canucks' pass receiver, his (and his agent's) negotiating skills in contract years, and for this last, I think ...

well, why wait till spring, do it now! Sign Bieksa for 5 mil per, 5 years, at which time he can transition into head coach, yelling encouragement at appreciative vets and glaring at refs with unveiled evil. Then, after a ten year or so run as coach, a further decade or more of Quality Kev as GM, signing guys with grit and leadership qualities who somehow lack a certain acquaintance with core skills. Bottoming out, yes, I'll say it! -- tanking, so -- Kevin be praised! -- we can finally get that generational talent with the first overall in 2042. And all because of our beloved Kevin, #3 on the ice, but always #1 in our hearts!

We all bleed juice!

Archived