The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kevin Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver

sbisa is a good skater... that's not his problem at all.

Yea I definitely agree with that. He just makes some horrible decisions in his own zone. I think he can grow out of it though and become a legit top 4.

I can't believe how many people on here want to trade away the heart and soul of this team. It's rather disgusting if you ask me.

Juice has one more year on his contract let him stick around to mentor the young guys.

Juice wants to be a canuck so let him stay one. Let him mentor the young guys and re-sign him for less (if he really wants to be here and be competitive he should take a discount.

Nobody said it would be an easy decision, but I would rather have Hamhuis mentor the kids than Bieksa.

The Calgary series exposed the poor defense play by Sbisa and Bieksa....sorry to say but it's not good enough anymore.

This happens with lots of players on many teams...it's not personal either. Bieksa played some great hockey and did more for this club than most of those who came before. However, like all good things, it must come to an end.

What concerns me about the defense in general is their size. Average NHL defensemen weigh 209. There are 2 Canuck D this size: Hamhuis (209) and Edler (215). All the rest are 200 or less. Diminutive CALGARY exposed this weakness in the Canucks.

I'm not going to wet my pants if the Canucks have a smaller D man (Subban for eg) but these guys have to skate well and move the puck even better. Having said that, I think that there should be one player in every pairing who is big or strong enough to physically move people from the front of the net.

Right now, they are relying on Bieksa (198) and Sbisa (198) to provide their back end snarl and grit and they are both more than 10 lbs smaller than average. The average forward is 202 and they are at a disadvantage.

This must change and I think that Benning understands this because he has added Pedan (215) and Tryamkin (230) for the future

It really is time to part with Bieksa so that we can take a good look at Corrado and Clendening. (Even though I think Clendening is a bust). Especially when we will be signing Weber. So our top 4 is set.

Realistically, Bieksas probably worth a 2nd rounder in the market.

I guess you haven't seen him play in the last few years? or watch him wet his pants every time Ferland was coming down on him?

Ignorant comment. You can talk all the sh!t you want about the guy, but suggesting he pees his pants is an ignorant fail. I'd be curious how dry your own would remain with the likes of either of them coming at you.

How effective he's been the past few years may be debatable, but what is not debatable is that there are very few guys with the kind of spine and guts that Bieksa has.

If this is 'wetting his pants', a lot of people would probably settle for that kind of lack of courage.

https://youtu.be/1cQLwxMs5Ds

Ignorant comment. You can talk all the sh!t you want about the guy, but suggesting he pees his pants is an ignorant fail. I'd be curious how dry your own would remain with the likes of either of them coming at you.

How effective he's been the past few years may be debatable, but what is not debatable is that there are very few guys with the kind of spine and guts that Bieksa has.

If this is 'wetting his pants', a lot of people would probably settle for that kind of lack of courage.

I once met bieksa... His good looks alone made me wet pants. And not the wet your pants the poster was referring to.

Not to mention his heart, skill, grit and leadership he brings to this team.

Juice rules!

Thats the thing, it's no secret that age is catching up with them. This D core has stayed relatively the same over the last 4 years. And it just not cutting it.

Watching the Ducks games just shows us our team needs a change on the back end. We are too soft, too slow, and not good enough handling the puck. There is 6 roster spots on the point. Whether we agree with it or not Tanev, Edler and with the recent signing Sbisa are all locks. That leaves 3 spots left to upgrade. With only 6 spots available you can't afford to have 2 spots taken up by mentors. This team needs a big hard hitting stay at home D, and a PMD who can control a PP. In order to sign those types of players you also need cap space.

This summer you trade one. Use that extra cap space to sign a UFA, then based on the play of the rookies and upcoming D you think about trading the other, if a kid can prove to be a replacement.

Edler, Tanev, Hammer, and Juice are not a top four that scares any teams. It's time to start building that next group, and I really don't see Sbisa and Weber as the answers

Age may be coming, but the point is the young guys are not ready to make the team better than if we pencilled Kev or Hamhuis into the line up ATM. In Hamhuis case not even close.

In Bieksa's case less so, but the upcoming guys are smaller and less physical in a team that can already be exposed in size match ups. We put ourselves in a pickle by routinely ignoring the D category at the draft.

Speaking of the Ducks, they picked up Shea Theodore just 2 picks after we picked Hunter Shinkaruk in 2013. I was screaming for us to pick a D cuz I could see this coming!

guys.. just let him ride out his last year.. i would be mad if they resigned him.. He was only really affective with hammer!. He has slowed as half the core... all you can do is ride players out of their contracts now (the core thats still left). The right thing in my mind is that players go up to management and say ok i will sacrifice myself so you can restock the team... but hey lets be realistic that won't ever happen.

What concerns me about the defense in general is their size. Average NHL defensemen weigh 209. There are 2 Canuck D this size: Hamhuis (209) and Edler (215). All the rest are 200 or less. Diminutive CALGARY exposed this weakness in the Canucks.

This must change and I think that Benning understands this because he has added Pedan (215) and Tryamkin (230) for the future.

I don't think it could be strictly blamed on their lack of size, though it was definitely a factor in handling. Ferland. Sure, he hit most of them pretty hard, but again then the defense was punished for their lack of mobility and for turnovers (first and fifth goals against in Game 6 come to mind), not just because they weren't physical enough.

He has a ntc so of he doesn't waive then he either leaves as a ufa which doesn't get the Canucks an asset or he gets waived if his play is so bad they need to get rid of him which also gets the team no assets but does give them cap space if he is claimed. The only other alternative is to re sign him and then he takes up significant cap (he is not going to take a small contract at 34) and takes up a spot for the future with at best similar play to now (which most agree is not very good).

The best move is Benning convinces him to show how loyal he is to the Canucks by letting them get an asset for him. Then he so gets a clean slate and maybe a shot at a cup. It's not exactly terrible for him either. With a new challenge and the need to earn a spot he can still be an asset to a team. It's just not likely it will be that way here.

My expectation is that he stays and is re signed to a contract that few of us will like.

I'm on the fence. No doubt his play has declined in every area but he's a character guy. Imo he wouldn't fetch much in a trade now.

As far as re signing, that's a tough one. What if he's legitimately out played by a prospect? Do pro sports franchises keep players out of sentimentality?

Reactionary play on ferland by bieksa. I doubt you ever see bieksa square off with ferland. Maybe a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with that when it went down and I'm still not. Don't see how a fan can hang their hat on that instance as a form of toughness or leadership. He jumped ferland and was lucky he wasn't assessed an instigating penalty.

I'm on the fence. No doubt his play has declined in every area but he's a character guy. Imo he wouldn't fetch much in a trade now.

As far as re signing, that's a tough one. What if he's legitimately out played by a prospect? Do pro sports franchises keep players out of sentimentality?

Winning ones don't hang onto as many as the Canucks seem to want to. But cest la vie

Well I want Bieksa gone, but was apart of the keep Naslund and keep Luongo group. I was super upset when Naslund wasn't re-signed and was in shock when I got the news that Luongo got traded.

Those situations have nothing to do with this, I was also part of the don't trade Edler group last year. Bieksa is completely different as his play is not up to par and he has been making costly mistakes over the past 3 seasons, he's consistently had the worst d-pairings on this team since 2011.

Sometimes certain guys just need to go, it's KB3's time to go. I would much rather keep Sbisa over KB3.

I understand the Sbisa hate, but if majority of you cannot call out Bieksa on his play and are calling out Sbisa then you guys need a reality check. Sbisa is younger, tougher, and has potential to be better. He can easily be a top-4 defenceman, don't run Luca Sbisa out yet!

Let him settle down and find a proper partner to play with, I'm sure he'll find his way and be an important player for this team in the next 2 years. If he doesn't pan out, then he can always be traded or leave as a free agent.

Not saying most people wanting Bieksa out are the same that drove Nazzy and Lui out. But it's basically the same crowd of people with reasons that they can only substantiate with based off of recent memory and their play.

Reactionary play on ferland by bieksa. I doubt you ever see bieksa square off with ferland. Maybe a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with that when it went down and I'm still not. Don't see how a fan can hang their hat on that instance as a form of toughness or leadership. He jumped ferland and was lucky he wasn't assessed an instigating penalty.

You missed the point, and must have missed the series as well because there certainly were no instances of Bieksa avoiding Ferland - after Ferland's initial attempt to fight Dorsett, Ferland pretty much avoided anything after the whistles. The idea that Ferland had Bieksa "peeing his pants" is an ignorant comment - defend that if you want. but there's no need to hang any hat on any single thing Bieksa did - he's never been the turtling type.

Tony Gallagher. Goes up to Hamhuis and Bieksa and asks them if they'd waive their NTCs if asked. What a flipping scumbag. Not just old and senile, but a scumbag. Somebody egg his car when he drives into his office.

why not ask them??I would as we know we have to get better at D!he is doing his job and I would ask them aswell

Archived