The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning rebuild on the fly.

BMorrison 7

Benning has not given anyone NTCs so far. He has also gone on record saying he'll ask players to waive if that's the decision they make.

Jim Benning has not given out bad contracts to anyone.

3 X $6,000 for Miller - great value for one of the best goaltender to play the game.

2 X $5,000 for Vrbata - Vrbata is now an All-Star vet. Enough said.

4 X $2.650 for Dorsett - He's the epitomy of what is needed on the 4th line. Think of it as a welcoming figure for rookies.

3 X $3.600 for Sbisa - Right on market for what Sbisa brings. He's also only 25 years old.

5 X $5.450 for Tanev - I don't see anything wrong with signing a calm defenseman who makes their partner shine.

Best of all those contratcs? No NTC's.

I disagree on the Tanev deal. Too much for a player who will probably have a shortened career. Aside from Weber, he was the worst dman in the Calgary series.

This is a business, the more money they can generate the better; unfortunately the fan base can't handle a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

I agree that it is a business, but fans aren't going to overpay to see an underperforming team either. Fans are smarter then to throw $300 towards a pair tickets.

Our market will not allow for a full out 5 year tank. Technically most teams retool instead of rebuild. They subtract and add pieces that will help them progress forward. Unfortunately 29 other teams are doing the same thing at the same time. All of this retooling also means time is passing by, current players are getting older (Sedins, Bieksa, Hammer, Burr) and you can't do anything about that. We have always been a win now mentality and that won't change.

You cant expect management to say we are going on a full rebuild and keep season ticket prices the same. The Canucks fix to this is to not increase prices which is not the answer and it shows the fans aren't having it by our Sellout Streak ending and lots of empty seats available even in the playoffs.

I disagree on the Tanev deal. Too much for a player who will probably have a shortened career. Aside from Weber, he was the worst dman in the Calgary series.

I think Weber and Bieksa were the worst players in that series for the Canucks.

If the Canucks can't sell out the playoffs anymore, then all indications point to a downtrend with sales unless a legit improvement of product comes forth. I understand that this process is ongoing, but if we're losing to awful teams like Calgary in the playoffs while watching Edmonton pick up generational talents, then what exactly is the reasonable plan to counter this downtrend other than legitimately replacing your star players?

Enough with the denial phase, please. We're smarter than this.

ps. I don't think 'a 5yr tank' is even needed.

How does replacing a couple of core players equal people suggesting to trade everyone?

That is just an excuse for people who want no changes to the stale core.

I don't disagree but I see it already happening. Gillis was forced but got the ball rolling after the goalie situation. Now we have Bo. We moved Kesler and garrison last year. Brought in Baertschi this year.

The core is transitioning it's just not all happening in one year.

I think Weber and Bieksa were the worst players in that series for the Canucks.

Bieksa was bad, but at least he was giving as good as he got on the physical side. Tanev got pounded and he looked like he played like he had been pounded.

What's your beef with Sbisa? He's young, an excellent skater, a good passer and has some untapped offensive talent. To say nothing of his physical play. Is it because he's 25 and makes mistakes almost all 25 year old dmen make? At least he's being aggressive and trying to make plays. Give this kid two years and he'll be very good.

Why give him two more years? This 25-year old defenseman has played over 5 years in the NHL, nearly 350 games, and still looks like he has no clue what to do on the ice, with or without the puck.

I find it strange (and disappointing) that the Canuck brass is adopting the principle that "it is important to develop players in a winning environment" as a kind of mantra or article of faith.

It is actually something on which there is a lot of data. What does the data tell us? The most successful recent Stanley Cup teams are Chicago and LA. The key players on both teams (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown on LA and Keith, Toews, and Kane on Chicago) were all brought in to losing teams that continued to lose for a while. Those players did not seem to be hurt by losing for a couple of years.

There is NO evidence to suggest that it is better to consistently be a marginal playoff team and pick in the lower part of the draft than to be really bad and get some very high picks. There is evidence in the other direction. Almost all Stanley Cup winners in recent years are teams that really sucked for a while and got some high draft picks.

In fact, I would say the main reason the Canucks contended for a Cup in 2011 was that they were bad enough to be able to get the #2 and #3 picks and get Henrik and Daniel.

Of course, being really bad is no guarantee of ultimate Stanley Cup success (see Edmonton and Toronto and Buffalo). And it is possible to win a Stanley Cup without acquiring really draft picks. I hope the Canucks pull it off. But the odds are against it.

However, tee line Benning has adopted -- playing on a winning team is crucial for player development -- is just wrong on the evidence. It might be a small benefit, but that benefit is more than offset by the advantage of being able to draft more talented players.

Wow this post is spot on and sums my thoughts up perfectly.

The have to have a winning environment mantra has nothing to do with the best interests of developing players and everything to do with the Aquilinis bottom line and having a way to sell this core to the fans so they keep buying.

Fear of the unknown and a fickle fan base are the real culprits of this good enough is good enough approach to team building.

People piss and moan about Edmonton or Buffalo but at least their fans still show up and support the team through bad times. One bad year and all the entitled instant gratification fans bail out on the Canucks. Ha, THAT is going to convince the Aquilinis and management to take the youth path to success.

People who were not around for the 70's and 80's do not understand what sucking really badly is like. But forcing management to hang onto the past will almost certainly make them find out sooner or later. Of course they won't care because they won't be watching anyway. But us fans who embrace change to avoid a decade long bottom dweller team will suffer for it.

One or two bad years does not mean fans should bail out. As long as the future continues to get brighter it is ok. And it is inevitable that eventually this team will suck again.

The draft is not here yet and we have assets to sell for picks. Don't assume we're going in to the draft with that "one pick in the top 100".

Gawd I hope so. There are some really good players in the 2nd round and overall in this draft that will be tough to watch going to all our competitors.

Why give him two more years? This 25-year old defenseman has played over 5 years in the NHL, nearly 350 games, and still looks like he has no clue what to do on the ice, with or without the puck.

I will take a 25 year old over a 33 year old doing the same things every time. And for all the knocks on him Sbisa was actually not that bad this year. Not where we need him to be yet for sure but definitely brings elements our d badly needs.

I'm fine with what Benning and Linden hope to achieve with a "re-tool on the fly" as long as it shows consistent improvement. The main problem I see with the philosophy though is it seems to be counter-intuitive to what Benning claims is another of his drivers- building through the draft.

When your team is successful the lack of high end draft picks shifts the impact of your franchises' scouting from amateur scouting to pro scouting. Benning comes from a family of amateur scouts and if his one and only draft for the Canucks last year is any indication he has an eye for exactly the types of players this franchise needs.

On the flip side if the team becomes a victim of it's own success and needs to build through pro scouting / trading then picks have to be on the table to attain players with any decent level of pedigree. The fact that Benning's Canucks resume so far in this regard is Vey, Baertschi and Clendenning doesn't exactly fill me with optimism. Fingers crossed I guess.

Have to agree with you. I like Benning and will give him some time but some of the moves that everyone is giving him credit for are far from sure things such as you mentioned. Vey, Clendening and Baertschi. Sven is talented but does have the look of another soft perimeter player and the management in Calgary don't appear stupid. It is a calculated gamble, no more no less.

Other teams castoff prospects are costing us 2nd and 3rd round picks which needs to be kept in mind. The deal I like the best is actually Pedan. If he can stay healthy that might really turn out.

This is all a little discouraging. I was hoping JB had more balls than this, more belief in himself to push the process along a little faster. If losing to that young, energetic Calgary team doesn't prod him, then yes I'm disappointed. It's getting a little too close to the Nonis approach for my liking. Willie's comments about youth are even more concerning.

This all smacks of too much job protection/ass-covering and not enough guts.

You got it !

Not a bad column by Gallagher ( I know I know it's Gallagher but he does raise some good points) today in the Province. A fear of bias creeping in to compound the concern over jobs. WD in some way has reason he's waited a long time to get his shot in the NHL and if he's to continue he must estabilish his credential he has to show his skill, so he wants success now. JB wants to show his acumen as a GM so he wants to show his abilities to select and guide a club in the future, other selections made by Gillis do little to float his boat. Trevor I think is in the enviable position of owning a his own company and regardless if he's President of Vcr or not he's OK and he can arrange his personel life better away from the NHL.

I'm not saying this is all true, but as Gallagher pointed out when it comes to Vcr prospects the 3 names JB brought up were Beartschi, McCann and Virtanin. No mention of Cassel, Shinkaruk, Hutton or Gaunce. Lack was replaced basically by Miller. When it comes to Beartschi apart from two opportunistic goals against Edmonton he hasn't stood out, if he's to be a top 6 Forward, like Monahan/Bennett ( who are both younger than Sven) I've seen little to show he's in the same class.

As to Grenier and Corrado it's not looking good

I will take a 25 year old over a 33 year old doing the same things every time. And for all the knocks on him Sbisa was actually not that bad this year. Not where we need him to be yet for sure but definitely brings elements our d badly needs.

Well at least Sbisa has some sandpaper Ill give him that.

If there is one thing I am more tired of than watching an "old stale" team it is watching a soft team for years on end. It is not just that we lose in the playoffs, we get manhandled. This year was the worst. We weren't even playing one of the heavy west teams and we had some players who wanted no part of it and shied away from contact even if it meant giving up the puck. Its getting embarrassing.

Well at least Sbisa has some sandpaper Ill give him that.

If there is one thing I am more tired of than watching an "old stale" team it is watching a soft team for years on end. It is not just that we lose in the playoffs, we get manhandled. This year was the worst. We weren't even playing one of the heavy west teams and we had some players who wanted no part of it and shied away from contact even if it meant giving up the puck. Its getting embarrassing.

I agree. I would much prefer to watch a team with that confident, gritty, and aggressive style that takes no $&!#. I hate having a team that talks a good game but can't back it up.

The team looked relieved just to make the playoffs. Like they knew it was good enough to save their jobs. The coach looked like he was looking past Calgary with his deployment and the players looked like they expected an easy win too. That veiled arrogance showed all year against weak teams and was no different against Calgary.

Where was heart and soul 4 year extension at big money Dorsett as one example? He played like a pussy the entire series. I like him but he was not a physical factor. I saw our entire team pass up finishing a check to peel off and defend. Sad and pathetic.

If the Canucks can't sell out the playoffs anymore, then all indications point to a downtrend with sales unless a legit improvement of product comes forth. I understand that this process is ongoing, but if we're losing to awful teams like Calgary in the playoffs while watching Edmonton pick up generational talents, then what exactly is the reasonable plan to counter this downtrend other than legitimately replacing your star players?

Enough with the denial phase, please. We're smarter than this.

ps. I don't think 'a 5yr tank' is even needed.

Agreed. Time to let go of the security blanket of the 2011 SCF group...players like Higgins, Bieksa, Burrows, Hammer, Hansen have value as pieces to move for young talent. They will not take you anywhere near the promised land. You need to keep a couple vets to help mentor the guys but someone like DOrsett is great for this (see Bo Horvat) and still plays his role effectively at an affordable price.

WD was brought in largely because of his success working with young players...for him to constantly indicate he doesn't like having rookies in his line up is disconcerting. If he is more comfortable sitting on his laurels and being comfortable with having guys like Higgins as his 2nd line solution, they hired the wrong coach.

THat Bo showed so much offensive promise and never got a sniff on a failure of a 2nd unit PP, indicates, WD may be an obstacle to putting youth in a position to succeed...I mean who in their right mind would choose Higgins or Vey in that role over Bo Horvat?!!!!

Not to mention the fact that he is absolutely the best 4 on 4 and overtime defenseman we have. It would be scary to see what Sbisa could do if the league went to the 3 on 3 they tried in the AHL this year.

I agree. I would much prefer to watch a team with that confident, gritty, and aggressive style that takes no crap. I hate having a team that talks a good game but can't back it up.

The team looked relieved just to make the playoffs. Like they knew it was good enough to save their jobs. The coach looked like he was looking past Calgary with his deployment and the players looked like they expected an easy win too. That veiled arrogance showed all year against weak teams and was no different against Calgary.

Where was heart and soul 4 year extension at big money Dorsett as one example? He played like a feline the entire series. I like him but he was not a physical factor. I saw our entire team pass up finishing a check to peel off and defend. Sad and pathetic.

Dorsett has some games with 0 hits. While Ferland ran around he did nothing to hit any Flames. Guy is good in the room, that's nice, but there are effective 4th line guys for less money and term that have 20 lbs on Dorsett.

He is also over used by WD.

Agreed. Time to let go of the security blanket of the 2011 SCF group...players like Higgins, Bieksa, Burrows, Hammer, Hansen have value as pieces to move for young talent. They will not take you anywhere near the promised land. You need to keep a couple vets to help mentor the guys but someone like DOrsett is great for this (see Bo Horvat) and still plays his role effectively at an affordable price.

WD was brought in largely because of his success working with young players...for him to constantly indicate he doesn't like having rookies in his line up is disconcerting. If he is more comfortable sitting on his laurels and being comfortable with having guys like Higgins as his 2nd line solution, they hired the wrong coach.

THat Bo showed so much offensive promise and never got a sniff on a failure of a 2nd unit PP, indicates, WD may be an obstacle to putting youth in a position to succeed...I mean who in their right mind would choose Higgins or Vey in that role over Bo Horvat?!!!!

Another great post

This

After watching the way he coached this year and how he defended those decisions saying he would do them again has actually made me think he is absolutely the wrong coach for bringing I young guys and putting them in position to succeed. He seems to have forgotten all the good attributes that got him the job I the first place.

He is new and hopefully will learn. But when a guy says he is stubborn and rigid and makes no bones about it the prospect of that happening do not look promising.

Yeah ..i think a lot of posters here either weren't born or were to young to remember this. If a business starts bleeding too much it gets sold or in the worst case moved. Could end up with a cheapo owner who has a hard time spending to the cap floor and end up with another paper bag decade. Is this fan base like Toronto or Edmonton who sell out regardless of what product is on the ice? i'm not so sure.

Never has been in the 40+ years I've followed the Canucks.

. If trevor linden for example said just pretend we are gonna have a full rebuild because that's what we need not a retool not a patch job, a rebuild. Do you think people would not get behind trevor any different then they already have? People love trevor linden he's a great public speaker and can convice the average canuck fan base of anything that's why they hired him. It was a really smart move by aquillini but the fact of the matter is our days are numbered in vancouver as a stanley cup contendor. People just want to argue with me, (not saying you) ohh Trevor's right or ohhhh we still can compete. Don't tell me that if it was Mike Gillis only as president not gm saying the same thing,you would think the same thing that we only need a retool. Aquillini wanted to make playoffs so trevor convinced us. Not me though our top 6 is all over 32 years old and we won't take proper action in building this team from the draft with draft picks 15 or lower. As for aquillini I think if he got these fans and for trevor to get behind a rebuild and have ticket prices Less expensive for a few years and create a powerhouse he would be more then fine financially lol he owns a lot more stuff then just the Canucks you know. However I am happy benning is not going to hesitate to ask players to waive there no trade clause. We will see what he will do this summer.

Yup, Trevor is so influential that the the sellout came to and end and a 5 to 7 year waiting list disappeared. That's after missing the playoffs once. What happens when we miss five years in a row?

Archived