The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 5 moves that reshape the our old, slow and tired team.

Move 1. We have a serious goaltending log jam. Miller, Lack, Markstrom, Erricsson, Demko and possibly O'conner.

Miller would look amazing in San Jose and I'm sure this move would be welcomed by Miller and his wife. In return we get a good young, sizey, fast forward. Upgrade on Higgins on the second line with Bonino.

I think we all witnessed what Ihave been saying for years, Bieksa is slow and alouf. However, teams covet his leadership and tenacity, Philly is the perfect fit.

Bieksa, Shinkurak and our 1st-2015 for B.Schenn and their 1st-2015. This is a huge deal but helps both teams.

Burrows has to go and he would wave to go only a few places. He loves A.V. and if the Rangers get stopped this year they will want a proven playoff player such as Alex. A.V. loves this guy and Burr has decent value. We would want Girardi in return, he becomes our 1st line RD and Tanev goes back to the secon hole on the right side.

Obviously Higgins has to go, complete no show and that is is his biggest issue, inconsistency, at best we send him to the Islanders which he would love because he is a NY boy, we land a 2nd-2015(hopefully).

We have an inside edge with Boston and they would Jannik Hansen and the 2nd we aquired from the Islanders, we might have to include the rights to Matthias for Tory Krug. Boston is in a Cap pinch and it's only going to get worse. They need to sign Dougie Hamilton and Connoly etc... with 1.5 mil available and Krug just signed a bridge deal at 3.4mil Benning might be able to make this happen. Krug would slot into our 1st LD . This moves Edler and Tanev into the second pair and Hamhuis is now the 3rd LD and Clendening becomes our 3rd LD. This looks like a very mobile talented D group.

Our forwards:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Hertl, Bonino, Vrbata

Schenn, Horvat, Virtanen

Kenins, Vey, Dorsett

Now that's how you do it...Bam

By the way our 1st is now the 7th overall and we pick Provorov or Barzal

Can you make it easier to read please. I'm interested in how this is going to work, but trying to pick out the trades in a block of text is hard

Move 1. We have a serious goaltending log jam. Miller, Lack, Markstrom, Erricsson, Demko and possibly O'conner.

Miller would look amazing in San Jose and I'm sure this move would be welcomed by Miller and his wife. In return we get a good young, sizey, fast forward. Upgrade on Higgins on the second line with Bonino.

Miller for Hertl

Move 2: I think we all witnessed what Ihave been saying for years, Bieksa is slow and alouf. However, teams covet his leadership and tenacity, Philly is the perfect fit.

Bieksa, Shinkurak and our 1st-2015 for B.Schenn and their 1st-2015. This is a huge deal but helps both teams.

Move 3: Burrows has to go and he would wave to go only a few places. He loves A.V. and if the Rangers get stopped this year they will want a proven playoff player such as Alex. A.V. loves this guy and Burr has decent value. We would want Girardi in return, he becomes our 1st line RD and Tanev goes back to the secon hole on the right side.

Burrows for Girardi

Move 4: Obviously Higgins has to go, complete no show and that is is his biggest issue, inconsistency, at best we send him to the Islanders which he would love because he is a NY boy, we land a 2nd-2015(hopefully).

Higgins for a 2nd (2015).

Move 5: We have an inside edge with Boston and they would Jannik Hansen and the 2nd we aquired from the Islanders, we might have to include the rights to Matthias for Tory Krug. Boston is in a Cap pinch and it's only going to get worse. They need to sign Dougie Hamilton and Connoly etc... with 1.5 mil available and Krug just signed a bridge deal at 3.4mil Benning might be able to make this happen. Krug would slot into our 1st LD .

Hansen+2nd for Krug

This moves Edler and Tanev into the second pair and Hamhuis is now the 3rd LD and Clendening becomes our 3rd LD. This looks like a very mobile talented D group.

Our forwards:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Hertl, Bonino, Vrbata

Schenn, Horvat, Virtanen

Kenins, Vey, Dorsett

Now that's how you do it...Bam

By the way our 1st is now the 7th overall and we pick Provorov or Barzal

Not sure if Miller could get (SJ would give up) Hertl. Could you explain why the Sharks would give up on him?

I'd also lump the Higgins deal with the Flyers one (add the pick from Chris' deal to the Philly one) and hopefully keep Hunter (think he'd be a stud) and our first. As much as I like Brayden Schenn, he's not the stud everyone projected him to be. He scored 47 points this year but is still figuring out his role and inconsistent. I'm not sure what would get it done (maybe we can take one of their dead weight contracts?), but I just don't want to give up on Hunter this early on.

Totally down for the Girardi and Krug deals though, if the other teams would go through with it.

The only deal thats realistic is the Higgins one, and I dont want to get rid of him. Yeah hes inconsistent and sometimes chokes but he is on a good contract that I think we should keep. The Hertl deal is ridiculously slanted in our favor and I can't see San Jose even pretending to give it thought.

The Sharks arent going to trade youth for veterans. They are trying to do the opposite.

If anything, I could potentially see Van as a good landing ground for Big stubborn Joe. Similar contracts, same expirery, both teams trade a stregnth in return for a weakness. Wed probably throw in Bonino, and look for a pick in return.

Miller, Bonino

for

Thornton, 2015 2nd

sedin sedin burrows

baertschi thornton vrbata

higgins horvat kassian

dorsett gaunce hansen

vey

kenins

The funny things about peoples expectations about our team is, everyone seems to expect us to have every player be a 30 goal scorer and to play for 2 million per season.

They want to get rid of Higgins because he doesn't score 30 goals

They want to get rid of Vey because he hasn't scored 30 goals

They want to get rid of Bieksa because he's not producing quite what he was

They want to get rid of Hansen because he's fast but can't score.......

Then, we have a bunch on the board that right after stating that we need to get rid of Bieksa because he's too old, and Hamhuis and Burrows because they are too old, will suddenly turn around and suggest that we should have signed Igninla or Jagr, someone else who's nearing the end of their careers because they are the answer to our problems with scoring or leadership.

The NHL has a salary cap.

You can't have 12, 30 goal scorers at forward and still come in under Cap.

The players on the team are going to always be at different levels of development and you are always going to have some players on the team who have different levels of capability.

Some of them are not going to score a lot of goals, but they forecheck well and disrupt the other teams ability to gain momentum and break out of their own zone. They create offensive zone faceoff opportunities for the guys who do score 30 goals.

Get used to it, this is how the cap works for ALL teams, not just the Canucks.

Its either this or watch Glen Sather run a 150 million salary team every season and just bury or buy out all the mistakes he makes signing players.

Hansen is not going anywhere.

Bieksa is not going anywhere

Higgins is not "likely" going anywhere.

There will be changes and adjustments to make us fit within cap. That may mean that Benning asks someone to waive an NTC to make things fit.

Welcome to the NHL Cap world!

From what I've read on CDC, sounds like more than a few would like to see Miller dealt to SJ. Sounds like both Thornton and Marleau have stated they will not move. Not sure it would realistically happen, especially within the division but a deal centered around Miller and Couture would be ideal. For the sake of discussion let's say:

Miller (6.0 cap) and Bonino (1.9) for Couture (6.0)?

Though not elite, Couture would give us that #1 center which eases the Twins into second line minutes. Bonino gives them a replacement at center of similar age and Miller takes over for UFA Niemi. SJ has PLENTY of cap space but a few D-men to sign.

Relieves some needed cap for us.

I think it's pretty obvious now our core from the 2011 cup run is getting old, slow and stale. List the players, in your opinion, should be let go to make us a better competing team next season. Provide the reasoning along with it.

Higgins - he's not doing his job. I can live with his linemate, Bonino, because at least Bonino skates hard and looks like he is into it every game. Higgins looks like he floats in some games.

Brandon Mcmillan - Don't know why he's here in the first place. Would rather play Sestito, at least he woulda challenged Ferland to a fight.

Bieksa - With Weber saying he's getting re-signed, our top 4 is pretty much set. Sbisa is our 5th, and we need some room to look at Corrado and Clendening. With his salary, playing as a 6th dman role does not make sense.

Miller - Lack's pretty much proven he is a NHL starter. He didn't steal us any games in the playoffs, but we did not lose any of those playoff games because of Lack. Lack is just 27 and he can be our #1 until some of our interesting prospects Markstrom and Demko becomes NHL ready. Trade Miller to San Jose or some team in need of making the playoffs and then sign a cheap backup option.

Archived