The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Joseph LaBate

Ossi Vaananen

Didn't look out of place in pre season "dude". I beilive he even had a couple goals.

52 points in 63 games in the OHL as a d man gets attention , major junior or not. If u don't think he will get a shot with those offensive numbers at the OHL level, u are out to lunch.

We'll see in less than a month I guess.

Then we can revisit it here.

Interesting. One of the few guys I've almost never seen play a game.

As for Subban, while I don't share the enthusiasm JB said yesterday he will be signed soon. Offensive D might be a need on the main club right now, but it's not in our system. We already have much better offensive D signed.

Lol like who?

Great signing! Time to sign Subban and other prospects next! Does anyone know whether we still have to sign Demko or not?

We don't need Subban he is 5'9 180 lb defence. I doubt unless he has a bullet for point shot he will ever make the cut permanently

You do realize Subban has the most potential out of all our D-men right now. So losing Subban will be a huge loss for our defence because Subban can be easily a Krug. You can crack your witty jokes all you like but not signing Subban will be a huge loss for this franchise going forward. He is a special and unique talent.

relax man, he's not that good.

If the Canucks re-sign Subban it better be for the right reasons. We have had star players' brothers here before (Kariya, Pronger, Fedorov as examples)

Not sure why some people are comparing Jordan Subban to guys like Fleury, St.Louis or Hull...he's a defenseman for starters, so he needs to be much more consistent defensively than a forward his size.

Smaller defensemen do succeed in the NHL, but it's harder to pull it off.

If the Canucks re-sign Subban it better be for the right reasons. We have had star players' brothers here before (Kariya, Pronger, Fedorov as examples)

Not sure why some people are comparing Jordan Subban to guys like Fleury, St.Louis or Hull...he's a defenseman for starters, so he needs to be much more consistent defensively than a forward his size.

Smaller defensemen do succeed in the NHL, but it's harder to pull it off.

re-sign?

In before this becomes about how omg Subban hasn't signed.

Oh.

(If Tanev gets pounded into the boards every shift in the playoffs, then how do you think Subban will fare here?)

Players his size need to be elusive or they wont make it in the NHL. Tanev isnt elusive he just eats the hits

You do realize Subban has the most potential out of all our D-men right now. So losing Subban will be a huge loss for our defence because Subban can be easily a Krug. You can crack your witty jokes all you like but not signing Subban will be a huge loss for this franchise going forward. He is a special and unique talent.

i agree with ya... bro of jordan is huge potential

They said the same thing about Brett Hull.

They said the same thing about Theoren Fleury.

They said the same thing about Martin St. Louis.

Doesn't mean that midget players automatically get exempted. You're stating the obvious; it is a hard road to go to the NHL, even if you have "NHL size".

Subban was one of the best (as in highest scoring) defenseman in the OHL this year.

You obviously didn't know that because you think he wouldn't get picked up in the next draft. Laughable.

Tyson Barrie, Anton Stralman,

Tobias Enstrom, Dan Boyle,

Kimmo Timonen, John Michael Liles,

Kris Russell, Jared Spurgeon,

Sami Vatanen, Marek Zidlicky,

Mark Streit, Torey Krug,

Erik Karlsson

All under 6' (Karlsson varies between 5'11 and 6') and all are 190lbs or less.

Barrie puts up 50+ points and I constantly hear comparisons of Subban to Barrie.

We don't need Subban he is 5'9 180 lb defence. I doubt unless he has a bullet for point shot he will ever make the cut permanently

Funny, we just got eliminated from the playoffs by a team who has a 5'10 180 lbs dman.

St. Louis never thought Russell would make the NHL so Calgary got a top 4 dman for spare parts. All Jordan needs to do is grow an inch and gain 10 pounds of muscle and I don't see that being hard once he starts working with elite trainers. 5'10 190lbs automatically means bust? Wasn't PK around that size when he was drafted? And fell a bit because of it too?

Funny, we just got eliminated from the playoffs by a team who has a 5'10 180 lbs dman.

St. Louis never thought Russell would make the NHL so Calgary got a top 4 dman for spare parts. All Jordan needs to do is grow an inch and gain 10 pounds of muscle and I don't see that being hard once he starts working with elite trainers. 5'10 190lbs automatically means bust? Wasn't PK around that size when he was drafted? And fell a bit because of it too?

jordan bulked up to 190 this past offseason and wasn't comfortable playing at that weight so he shed some of it. he won't be getting any bigger.

jordan bulked up to 190 this past offseason and wasn't comfortable playing at that weight so he shed some of it. he won't be getting any bigger.

Whatever he's comfortable with is fine with me.

Archived