The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Sedins win the Stanley Cup before they retire?

We will win the year they sign for cheap.

Im hoping they resign for around 3m cap hit so Benning can help them win a cup. Honestly the Sedins are the only elite player who i can see taking a salary cut to win it all

That will never happen.

Do you honestly think the Sedins won't be able to put up 40+ points a season?

Or do you think we'll have 6 forwards better than them?

If they sign for 2-3M yes i do think we will have 6 young skilled scorers

They won't win one in Vancouver.

If they'd agree to a deadline deal to a contender (preferably in the final year of their deals) I could see it happening.

They could then re-sign in Vancity to close out their careers.

That being said, they just don't seem to me like the kind of players that would do that. I think they'll retire as lifetime Canucks....without a Cup ring.

After I saw the Mcmillan penalty in game 6, I said to myself, "Come on hockey gods, show us some justice" and long and behold, next thing I know Flames score. Here is the deal, Sedins' are some of the most deserving players for a cup. There community work exemplies what good role models should be. Hell they are even nice on the ice, they even pick up sticks for players and tap goaltender's pads when they get robbed. Now here is the bad thing, 'hockey gods' are not real lol If hockey god's were real Sedins would of had couple of rings by now.

So moral of my silly paragraph: hockey gods are not real. Therefore, it will be tough for a Sedin to a win cup.

I laughed at this because I actually did the exact same thing after the macmillan penalty and then flames scored. I should have known as when the NHL draft lottery was going on I said "please hockey gods, anyone but the oilers". 5 min later....oilers win the lottery. :picard:

So... You're saying there's a chance. Awesome!

Anyways were never going to win the cup with attitudes like willies Stache up there.

If you want something, you need to remain positive and believe. I want the Sedins to win a cup in Vancouver and will keep faith till they do.

(2017) :)

Do you honestly believe that the attitudes of the fans have an influence on whether a team can win the Cup?

Carolina and T-Bay won Cups and most of their fans don't understand how offside works.

Their best chance to win came and went when they made finals against boston with luongo and schiender at the top of their game and a deep lineup with players like kesler and burrows playing there best but the run ended and now I think its time to rebuild during the final years of the sedin era..

I would place the Canucks timeline at 4 years, IF things align perfect (and that is a big if). The Sedins revert to 2nd line players, sign a one year contract for a low dollar amount.

We need two forwards and two defenseman in the pool to really pan out - Horvat / Virtanen / McCann / Shinkaruk / New draft pick - at least two to become first line players. We need a guy like Cassels to become a skilled, thorn in your side type player ala Bolland, Marchand etc.

In addition, we need at least two defenseman - I would be looking at Hutton (top pairing) and Pedan (two-way, physical) as potential beasts.

Sprinkle in two big free agents.

We don't have the luxury of two top three picks in the arsenal to develop like we did last time around, or even 94 (Bure would have been first overall if not for the loophole, Linden 2nd overall).

Comparing to Boston, who did it without elite draft picks.

Bergeron = Horvat
Krejici = McCann
Lucic = Kassian/Virtanen

Horton = Kassian/Virtanen/Grenier
Recchi = D. Sedin/H. Sedin
Thomas = Lack / Demko / Markstrom
Chara = ....
McQuaid = Pedan
Ference = Sbisa
Boychuk = Edler?
Seidenberg = Tanev
Campbell = Gaunce

Marchand = Cassels

Building for the future, the team could have a very similar makeup minus Chara (although at this stage the Tryamkin comparisons somewhat similar). Between Gillis going for the "Boston model" after we lost in the finals, and Benning creating the Boston model, we could compete have a somewhat similar team in the future. Top two centres as skilled, two way players - a couple of power forwards, mix of youth and a few vets. Strong goaltending.

While Pedan will probably be more of a McQuaid type, he does possess some similar attributes to Chara. Not as big obviously (6'5 compared to 6'9) but a physical force possessing a unique skill set. In some ways I think he has the highest ceiling out of all our prospects, but reaching anywhere close to it is a pipe dream. He went from borderline AHLer to solid second pairing in the span of about 20-30 games this year, so his game is on the upswing.

The Sedins were so close from capturing their first Stanley Cup in 2011, but they're getting older, and their contracts are expiring not too far from now, which brings up many questions regarding them and their future with Vancouver. What are your guys' thoughts and opinions on their future? I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say!

I do not believe it will happen in their careers, I just hope it happens in my lifetime after supporting the Canucks for over 30 years now.

pretty sure the fans attitudes have nothing to do with the result on the ice

but keep making whatever excuses you need to to make yourself feel better

I want to be able to fly, maybe i should remain positive and then i'll be able to

Stop being such a Debby downer, No matter what happens through the Sedins upcoming years, they will truly be appreciated for what they have done for this city! They are class acts and are dedicated to the game. Vancouver is very lucky to have the twins!

Archived