The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which was your most entertaining Canucks' season?

Rubik

• 7 months later...

yeah - 1994 playoffs.  Game 6 of the finals, after Rangers had planned the parade for game 5 ... I had tickets and never heard the Coliseum so loud - like standing under a 747 taking off, and the game hadn't even started.  Magical game.

On 2015-05-01 at 10:22 AM, apollo said:

Can't go wrong with 2011 obviously. That was WITH OUT A DOUBT the most talented nhl team assembled of all time.

Dear Lord, not even close.  Glenn Anderson is in the Hall of Fame and he was the FOURTH best FORWARD on the Oilers.  And the SIXTH or SEVENTH best player.

Who was the fourth best forward on the 2011 Canucks?  Burrows?

The Sixth best player?  Edler?  Ehrhoff?

This statement is utterly ridiculous, and I'm a fan of your optimism.  But this is just plain blasphemy.

I won't even bother going into the 70s Canadiens or the Islanders dynasty.

Jeez, Patrick Sharp was at best the 4th best forward on the recent Hawks Cup teams.

As a Canucks fan? 2011. Had the best power play, best penalty kill, and up-and-down the best team. Sedins won the Art Ross in back to back years, and Luongo had a great season after giving up his captaincy to Henrik (but you can't forget Schneider). 

This is the best moment from the season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuShAiGdvDc

I still think we would have won the cup if we didn't have so many injuries. 

As a hockey fan? 2003.
Naslund had his best season, and should have won the Hart in my opinion. 
Brodeur--my all-time favourite player in any sport--finally won his first Vezina, and got his third Stanley Cup. I remember the crowd chanting "MARTY IS BETTER!!" when Giguere won the Conn Smythe, after Marty got the first (and, as far as I'm concerned, only) shutout in game 7. 

What a series. My favourite moment might actually be Kariya--my favourite player--being hit by Stevens--my favourite defenseman--and then coming back like a phoenix to score an amazing goal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ebTSeDGsds

I've only been a fan for the last 15 years so I can't say anything about '99 and before but watching the WCE during their prime years was just very exciting. However, the 2010-2011 season was better because we were so dominant. Watching the Sedin twins just performing at superstar quality was a privilege. The last game against Calary, the no look tip pass from Henrik to Daniel, just to finish it off with a between the legs shot? Seriously, was such a good year for Canuck fans!

17 hours ago, Qwags said:

I guess I'm fortunate to not have seen Game 7 of the 2011 Cup Final.

No I wouldn't say that. 2011 was the best year of my life thanks to the elite canucks. The most prolific nhl team ever assembled. 

18 hours ago, Qwags said:

I guess I'm fortunate to not have seen Game 7 of the 2011 Cup Final.

I would say that you are.

I got absolutely nothing whatsoever from having watched that game.

No entertainment, no pride in the team's effort or performance, victory in defeat.

And there was no tension.  Once the Canucks let the second one it, it was very clear that it was just a countdown to the final buzzer.  That game was over well before the 60 minute mark.

It was just plain depressing and nothing else.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I would say that you are.

I got absolutely nothing whatsoever from having watched that game.

No entertainment, no pride in the team's effort or performance, victory in defeat.

And there was no tension.  Once the Canucks let the second one it, it was very clear that it was just a countdown to the final buzzer.  That game was over well before the 60 minute mark.

It was just plain depressing and nothing else.

A sadly accurate description.

Although I have to say that was still the best Canucks season I've ever experienced.  Up until the final it certainly felt like they were invincible.  Every time the Sedins were on the ice you knew a goal could be close.  Every game we played it felt like we were gonna win, even when we were down a couple goals.  Remember all the 3rd period comebacks?  The most memorable one for me was Game 5 of the conference finals.  Down a goal with less than a minute left, I remember being nervous, but still had a feeling we could pull it off. With that team there was a sense of confidence that if we stayed calm and worked hard, we could overcome pretty much any obstacle.  A lot of the outside media/fans/teams called it cockiness but it was a simply a belief in ourself and our system that they lacked.

It was only when we lost that confidence in our game that we lost. If we hadn't tried to beat the Bruins at their own game, and stuck to using our skill, we would have won (injuries didn't help either).  And I'm not just talking about that season either.  After that season Gillis started to water down our squad by trying to balance toughness and skill, ending up with a team that had neither.  If we had gone out and tried to add even MORE skill, I think we would have fared a lot better. 

'94 really carried me away with the frenzy....we had gatherings for the games and I'd add a new Province Poster to the wall for each one, until the walls were plastered.  The entire neighbourhood was abuzz here and after games people drove around honking.  I drew (quite well I am proud to say) a HUGE logo on my front bay window and cars would honk at it as they passed.

2011 I had the great fortune to see quite a few games up close and personal at ice level in the regular season, so felt extremely connected.  So much hope and such a disastrous result....was really a whirlwind of emotion.  But the slaying of the dragon was so emotional for me....the whole way that game unfolded for me, personally, with almost being killed trying to get home in time to watch it.  Whew.

Couldn't deny the '94 team in relation to excitement though....as underdogs and to watch Bure play?  Was an incredibly special thing.  We've become somewhat spoiled and desensitized to the greatness of the Sedins and tend to forget how amazing they are in a big picture way (which I never take for granted).  But Bure was a whole new dimension for us...all of a sudden we has this player who, every time he touched the puck,made the entire building rise to their feet and hold their breath.  Was thrilling.  The overall fan experience was an inclusive and interactive one....I recall them filling BC Place for an appreciation event after the playoffs and we celebrated as if we'd won.  It was something special back then .... team carnivals and events that kept the momentum and excitement going in between.  So good.

Archived