The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Hamhuis at Worlds (and on the Canucks)

JamesB

Not for me. Hall has a lot more value. But, if PC could find a team willing to give up what he needs for Nuge, then yes, I'd make that deal. The only one of the big names I wouldn't move is Eberle. He's the future captain, IMO.

I know what you mean. It's just that I can't see Chiarelli passing up a Hall-McDavid-Eberle line. RNH still has quite a bit of value, and definitely more than Yakupov, who looks like he's about to start lighting it up.

I watched the Czech game today and wondered what the status of Sbotka was. He turned down the St L offer and played in the KHL this last season. I watched him a few times down in St L and he stood out. I assume he's still St L property but will he turn them down again. Instant gifted centre for some one...... you listening JB :-)

With the crash of the Russian Ruble will KHL teams want to fok out big USA$ salaries

Interesting scene in today's game against the Czechs...

About halfway through the second, there is a scramble play around Canada's crease. Hammer is behind Smith in case the puck sneaks through and Sobotka comes in behind him and slew foots him.

Brent Burns goes after Sobotka, who (predictably) pretends not to see him, engaging Hamhuis instead. While Hammer and Sobotka are engaged, Voracek throws a punch at an unsuspecting Hamhuis, but is immediately fed a couple of (gloved) knuckle sandwiches by Burns.

People who think that players from different teams hate each other enough for it to carry over into National team situations might want to take note. When you pull on the TC jersey, you're among family.

this is a ridiculous statement. How is having two shutdown d redundant.... Should have minimum 2 shutdown d on the team. Doesn't hurt us.

What has been the most talked about problem with the Canucks since the Sedins emerged as top line players? No secondary scoring. What is preventing this team from having more secondary scoring? The can't afford attractive top 6 scoring talents because they have so much money tied up on the blue line every season. Even adding Vrbata and his 30+ goals didn't seem like enough offence and he phantomed in the playoffs.

Since developing scoring from within is still in its infant stages for this franchise, this will continue to be a problem for this team. So that is why I think they should explore moving a guy like Hamhuis for a quality forward while they still can get close to max value. Sure he would be missed but I don't think the team would plummet into years of misery over the loss of one player.

What has been the most talked about problem with the Canucks since the Sedins emerged as top line players? No secondary scoring. What is preventing this team from having more secondary scoring? The can't afford attractive top 6 scoring talents because they have so much money tied up on the blue line every season. Even adding Vrbata and his 30+ goals didn't seem like enough offence and he phantomed in the playoffs.

Since developing scoring from within is still in its infant stages for this franchise, this will continue to be a problem for this team. So that is why I think they should explore moving a guy like Hamhuis for a quality forward while they still can get close to max value. Sure he would be missed but I don't think the team would plummet into years of misery over the loss of one player.

The numbers don't really support this.

According to NHL numbers, the only playoff teams that spend less than the Canucks on defense are the Ducks, (by about 600k) the Isles (700k) and the Wild (2m)

The Habs, Bolts and Jets, all teams that have pretty good secondary scoring, spend considerably more thatn the Canucks on the blueline.

The Canucks "problems" with secondary scoring aren't because of the defense. Besides, I'd say that secondary scoring isn't quite the problem that many seem to think it is. The Canucks finished the regular season with the 8th highest G/G in the league at 2.88.

To put it in perspective, Washington finished at 2.89...

According to NHL numbers, the only playoff teams that spend less than the Canucks on defense are the Ducks, (by about 600k) the Isles (700k) and the Wild (2m)

The Habs, Bolts and Jets, all teams that have pretty good secondary scoring, spend considerably more thatn the Canucks on the blueline.

The Canucks "problems" with secondary scoring aren't because of the defense. Besides, I'd say that secondary scoring isn't quite the problem that many seem to think it is. The Canucks finished the regular season with the 8th highest G/G in the league at 2.88.

Yep but it's the playoffs where this becomes more evident. Shut down the the Sedins and let the rest of the team try to beat you. The Canucks are a great regular season team. They prove this every year. But in the playoffs it's the same old broken record.

So I would like them to try another route. Instead of 'building from the back end out', which is great if you have a work horse like Doughty, Keith, etc. to build around, try building a formidable offence. I know doing the opposite isn't the answer but if you are doing something that isn't working, try something different.

I want this franchise to win a Cup. At this point, even the most optimistic fans can't be sold on another season of the Sedins and a dog's breakfast getting it done. I know it's a re-tool/re-build/whatever but trying to win and overhaul the roster at the same time but you can't always have it both ways.

OP hit the hammer on the head. There are 29 other teams in the league that would take him at his contract.

I'm unsure how that is a defense for not trading him. I won't care either way if he is Canuck next year or not but if this management team is serious about re-shaping this roster, these are the kind of moves they have to consider if you get the right package in return. But management already knows that. But to flat out say that Hamhuis can't be traded because <<some stats or reasons say so>> is nonsense.

IMO, our current defenseman by importance would be:

Edler

Hamhuis/Tanev

Corrado/Clendening

Sbisa/Bieksa/Stanton

Tanev

Edler/Corrado

Bieksa/Sbisa/Clendening

Hamhuis/Stanton/Weber

Yep but it's the playoffs where this becomes more evident. Shut down the the Sedins and let the rest of the team try to beat you. The Canucks are a great regular season team. They prove this every year. But in the playoffs it's the same old broken record.

So I would like them to try another route. Instead of 'building from the back end out', which is great if you have a work horse like Doughty, Keith, etc. to build around, try building a formidable offence. I know doing the opposite isn't the answer but if you are doing something that isn't working, try something different.

I want this franchise to win a Cup. At this point, even the most optimistic fans can't be sold on another season of the Sedins and a dog's breakfast getting it done. I know it's a re-tool/re-build/whatever but trying to win and overhaul the roster at the same time but you can't always have it both ways.

Sure. Easier said than done, but it sounds great.

However, my original point remains. The amount that we're currently spending on our defense is not the thing that's stopping us from doing so.

Yes, we're 4 years out from the time when we had 6 top-4 quality D on our roster. In those days, we might have spent too much on our D corps, but not so much since then. The Tanev and Sbisa signings move us back in that direction a bit, but we could still stand to go further with cheap young forwards coming in. Moving Bieksa and signing Franson is one possibility, although perhaps we could do better in a trade.

Not looking too good in this Sweden game... Been exposed on a few plays now..

The whole team looked terrible in that first frame, it was a point of mention by many commentators and analysts alike.

Hamhuis is a great dman for us, I'm sure many people on CDC, like me, appreciate what we have in him.

The whole team looked terrible in that first frame, it was a point of mention by many commentators and analysts alike.

Hamhuis is a great dman for us, I'm sure many people on CDC, like me, appreciate what we have in him.

To me it's not a matter of appreciation what certain players have done for the team in the past. It's about making over this team and changing the core. You can't keep the core and change the periphery and expect different results. Many of these players are still useful, but collectively they aren't effective enough...or at least not effective enough in my eyes.

A lot of the problem stems from not knowing the true direction of management; but we don't get the privilege of knowing this and rightly so.

I personally think is the product of shaky goaltending today.

Didn't get to watch the game, but I'd agree. Going into the tournament, most people thought that goaltending was the weak link on this Team Canada squad.

Unfortunately, Smitty isn't doing much to change our minds. He had a pretty good game against the Czechs, but unfortunately the Mike Smith of the regular season returned for the game against Sweden.

Martin Jones doesn't fill me with confidence either, so I think we'll have to hope that Smith can rebound, or the forwards can outscore his mediocre play.

I personally think is the product of shaky goaltending today.

Same old story with Hamhuis it's always some ones else's fault when he looks terrible.

Slow an ineffective against talented players. Bennett 18 years old had zero problem handling him in front of the net ... Ouch

Archived