The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

vinyl

Argon

What kind of rig are you running for cd's?

I use any old DVD player that has a display and a SPDIF RCA digital out on it (for my 5.1 surround stuff). They rarely exceed $5 in the thrift stores. I find that expensive audiophile CD players are usually indistinguishable from these IMHO but then I spend most of my time and energy listening to my music and not my gear. Silly me.

Also remember that the word that gets used the most with the word "warm" is "fuzzy". An apt description sez I...

I use any old DVD player that has a display and a SPDIF RCA digital out on it (for my 5.1 surround stuff). They rarely exceed $5 in the thrift stores. I find that expensive audiophile CD players are usually indistinguishable from these IMHO but then I spend most of my time and energy listening to my music and not my gear. Silly me.

Also remember that the word that gets used the most with the word "warm" is "fuzzy". An apt description sez I...

I would have to disagree Thema, "my ears" have told me that there is a distinct difference between the 200 dollar Yamaha dvd player I own and the 1200 dollar Arcam Diva I own.

That is the beauty of music playback, everyone hears something slightly different.

The biggest difference you can make in your audio system is "room setup". Adding some bass traps, room treatments is the best investment IMO.

Doesn't really matter what medium you listen too, if you feed it crap at the source you hear crap at the output.

Bought my first CD in 1986 in Japan. Works perfectly as do EVERY SINGLE ONE of my other CD's. The only discs I have had fail are old CDR's that are at least 15 years old and that was maybe 3 or 4 out of thousands. records get scratched, warp and, worst of all for an anal record guy like me, wear out. 100 plays and most records are hooped in the high end. Also NEVER BUY A RECORD FROM A DJ!!

Original pressings are sometimes better but the older ones are terrible pressings (anything from 1970-76 is usually garbage especially Capitol and RCA records of that vintage). Japanese pressings are usually great but be warned, sometimes they are mastered differently and sound sort of "midrange-y". This problem only occurs in Japanese pressings before about 1990 though. Japanese lyric sheets are often written down phonetically which can be a real hoot (try to find the first Madness record from Nippon; pure gold i tell you...)

Uncompressed digital recordings (that is CD's and WAV files) should sound exactly the same as your precious original pressings except without the ticks and pops (which even perfect copies will have thanks to static and other environmental effects). mp3's etc. are indeed crap but even they are fine for non critical listening (i.e. the car) and save a ton of storage. My car stereo is an mp3 player I bought for $2 in a thrift store which holds 2 Gigs of mp3 files on it and which takes me at least one solid evening to fill up on my pooter.

Finally there is no record in the world that sounds better at the end of itself than at the beginning whereas digital sounds the same no matter where you are in the program. For that reason alone digital is a no brainer for anybody who truly wants the most accurate reproduction of music. to suggest anything else is pure hipster-ism.

Yup not disagreeing with you, just regurgitating what the manufacturers themselves have stated officially, so it's good to hear that you haven't had the issues of CD's degenerating over time. I myself was never a big CD collector. Got into vinyl because of the art on the covers, mainly, and I enjoyed the pops and cracks at first until the novelty died down. Nowadays I mostly do mp3's out of sheer laziness.

I still maintain that a digital recording sounds worse when the volume is cranked vs an analogue recording, depending on your system. I've done listening tests a few times and that's the outcome I came to. I dunno, I'm not really much of a hipster with the "OMGZZ it sounds better always on vinyl!!" actually it usually sounds worse, but I'd stack a pristine original pressing (not from 1975 to about 1987ish, cause those were crap) up against a CD and be pretty confident that I'll enjoy the vinyl sound over the CD.

I have over 300 albums, bought by myself in the 70's and 80's - right up until the Compact Disc came out.

From AC/DC to ZZ Top.

I have a Sony Turn table that I used to have hooked up to my PC - haven't had it connected since I moved back to BC in 2012 :(

Archived