The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] C'Mon, Ref: Prust violated a "code"

C'Mon, Ref: Prust violated a "code"

We don't yet know what was actually said in the exchange between referee Brad Watson and Brandon Prust, other than comments alleged by Prust in his 'tell-all' post-game interview. Granted, the optics caught on camera at the penalty box, demonstrating a stern finger-pointing lecture from the referee, did not look very professional. We have to reserve final judgment, however, until the results of a formal investigation into the matter have been concluded by Colin Campbell, Sr. V.P. Of Hockey Operations.

Regardless of what was or wasn't said, Prust exercised very poor judgement by taking these allegations against referee Brad Watson to a public forum. The slogan, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" is traditionally a 'code' within the game of hockey. It serves no useful purpose to wash the dirty laundry in the public arena. If (and I personally express a very big "IF"), unprofessional and inappropriate comments were made by the referee there was an appropriate forum for Prust to lodge a complaint through his coach, Michel Terrien, and then to Habs general manager, Marc Bergevin. There does need to be accountability.

Once those allegations from Prust became public, the NHL was not only forced to conduct a formal investigation but to make their findings public to some degree as well. The league will make their best effort at 'damage control' but nobody wins in this situation. Aside from obvious interviews and statements from Prust and Watson, Campbell's investigation will include camera footage and audio that might have been caught on microphones placed in and around the penalty box. A professional 'lip-reader' might even be solicited. Statements will be taken from the league employed members of the off-ice crew that man the penalty box (especially the individual that sat beside Prust). Any and all information will be gathered to arrive at the "truth."

As I watched Brandon Prust have his dark moment with the media, I was immediately reminded of Alexandre Burrows standing on a soapbox and bring allegations against former NHL referee Stephane Auger of deliberately targeting the Canuck forward. Following an investigation into that matter, Auger was cleared of any and all inappropriate comments alleged by Burrows. It is inconceivable for me to believe that Brad Watson would unload on any player, regardless of the circumstance, in the profane and unprofessional manner that Brandon Prust has alleged. The jury is out until all evidence is gathered.

I witnessed a tremendous lack of discipline from Prust demonstrated on this play (and at other times during the game) as I stood beside my friend Chris 'Knuckles' Nilan in the Bell Centre press box. On this particular play, Prust was seeking some retribution for a cross-check shove he received from Braydon Coburn at the other end of the ice. As the Habs went on the attack so did Prust, as he engage Coburn with a cross-check and then grabbed the Tampa player around the head to draw a delayed roughing penalty from Watson. The referee demonstrated tolerance by not further penalizing Prust for the couple of head punches extended to Coburn in an attempt to draw an even-up situation. The Tampa player exercised the kind of "self-discipline" by not responding, which is often required from players to win a playoff series!

With a courtesy extended by Watson not to penalize Prust further, the referee appeared very agitated by something the player said just prior to entering the penalty box. I don't condone the officious manner in which the referee proceeded to lecture Prust; especially utilizing a finger point at the player for a "stern" visual effect. Just as the penalty box door was being closed by Watson a parting shot from Prust resulted in the trigger being pulled by the referee to assess an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. That is where it should have ended.

Believe me when I tell you it takes personal strength (sometimes super-human internal strength) for a referee to control his emotions during heated exchanges that take place with players. When I was starting out in the minor leagues I was in in a heated conversation with a player who spat directly into my mouth! Somehow I suppressed my initial instinct to punch the player, maintained self-control against incredible odds and ejected the 'pig' from the game.

The most profane verbal attack I ever received came from then rookie coach Marc Crawford of the Quebec Nordiques in 1995 and as I wrote about in my book, The Final Call. Somehow, I found the inner strength required to remain professional and to tell the coach that I didn't agree with his foul claims. I don't raise my voice, a voice that was screaming inside my head, as I instructed Crawford to place four players on the ice, and that he needed to do it immediately, "please"!

The game ended shortly thereafter and Crawford knocked on the dressing room door to apologize for his poor conduct. I invited the coach into the officials dressing and to share a beer with the linesman and myself. I accepted the coach's sincere apology in the privacy of the officials' room and issued a 'career warning' to 'Crow' that any subsequent cursing from the bench would result in an immediate bench penalty. We shook hands to cement the agreement. I was called upon to impose a bench penalty one year later when the coach momentarily forgot about our agreed upon 'career warning.' That was the last bench penalty I had to impose on Marc Crawford.

In the game at the Bell Centre last night, the Habs killed the double minor assessed to Prust in the first period. Prust was frustrated and hot at the end of the game when he ran goalie Ben Bishop, fought with Braydon Coburn, and then fired his elbow pad into the Lightning players bench. Prust was appropriately assessed a game misconduct for his actions. The post-game interview Prust offered to the media to call out a referee makes no sense to me at any time, let alone following Game 2 in a playoff series. This brings such negative attention to Prust and provides a huge distraction for the Habs as the series shifts to Tampa with them down two games.

While this is something for the league to manage, we need to reserve final judgment until a full investigation is completed. There needs to be accountability on both sides for sure. As upset or offended as the referee might have been, I find it hard to believe that Brad Watson would fall so far below the line of professional decorum to say what has been alleged by Brandon Prust. Regardless of the outcome of any investigation, Prust has violated a "code." His comments won't sit well with the officiating fraternity.

I'm so sick of this "Vegas code" crap! Players get called out all the time for the things they say and do on the ice (Fraser is STILL publicly flogging Burrows for simply telling the truth about a ref's unprofessional behavior!) and refs shouldn't be exempted either. Officiating is getting worse all the time and this "code" of never saying anything about is only making things worse. The NHL needs to ditch the "code" and start holding refs publicly accountable for unprofessional behavior in the same way they do with the players.

EDIT to add: Fraser wrote a follow up article which is posted here.

I'm so sick of this "Vegas code" crap! Players get called out all the time for the things they say and do on the ice (Fraser is STILL publicly flogging Burrows for simply telling the truth about a ref's unprofessional behavior!) and refs shouldn't be exempted either. Officiating is getting worse all the time and this "code" of never saying anything about is only making things worse. The NHL needs to ditch the "code" and start holding refs publicly accountable for unprofessional behavior in the same way they do with the players.

As long as Bettman is in office, none of the changes many fans so desperately want will ever happen, as unfortunate as it seems.

Lol at some "code" regarding NHL refs, as if there were any honour there. This needs to happen more often until the "officiating fraternity" is cut down to size and professionalized. Frazer is often pretty good but he might as well be telling us to believe in the tooth fairy on this one.

again, i say that in the auger/burrows penalties, nothing burrows did was criminal.. absolutely nothing.

but with this incident, prust was running around like an idiot the whole game. i'm not going to call bs on it since only he and watson know, but based on the penalties he took (that were all justified), it's completely different than the auger incident.

again, i say that in the auger/burrows penalties, nothing burrows did was criminal.. absolutely nothing.

but with this incident, prust was running around like an idiot the whole game. i'm not going to call bs on it since only he and watson know, but based on the penalties he took (that were all justified), it's completely different than the auger incident.

Agreed about what the players were doing, but the issue here is the refs' egos.

I don't care about the code so much. However, Prust should know better than to call out a referee in public because that will come back to bite him and whatever team he is playing on for a long time to come. Stupid is as stupid does.......use your head Prust.

I love how Carry reserves judgement on the refs until all the facts are in but proceeds to trash Burrows and Prust without those same facts.

The NHL referees are the least credible and professional officials in pro sport. Numerous refs have admitted they "manage" games for entertainment value and outcome, calling penalties different depending on the situation. Now we are to believe they are so moral and pious that they are above swearing inappropriately at players?

Prust is a player who has made a career of living by the code of the tough guy. For him to make those claims, has to be taken seriously and not dismissed like Carry has..

I don't care about the code so much. However, Prust should know better than to call out a referee in public because that will come back to bite him and whatever team he is playing on for a long time to come. Stupid is as stupid does.......use your head Prust.

Yep. That sort of thing can't help your team.

Burrows hasn't gotten the benefit of the doubt from refs since Auger-gate and Prust will likely get the same treatment from here on in.

Not surprised though. If anyone has watched that Hockey Wives show, Prust is as much a jerk off the ice as he is on the ice. What you saw in that interview is Brandon Prust in a nutshell.

Yep. That sort of thing can't help your team.

Burrows hasn't gotten the benefit of the doubt from refs since Auger-gate and Prust will likely get the same treatment from here on in.

Not surprised though. If anyone has watched that Hockey Wives show, Prust is as much a jerk off the ice as he is on the ice. What you saw in that interview is Brandon Prust in a nutshell.

I can't imagine that throwing his elbow pad is going to go over well with Bergevin

Let's Mic everyone up.

Full transparency

I agree - make it like the justice system. Everything is conducted in an open system, enough of this keeping it under wraps BS. No need to broadcast it live or anything like that, but at least have a record available should it be necessary.

NHL officials are sleazebags who have way too much power and openly admit to having biases towards players. This kind of fraternal scumduggery should be banished from the game.

Also they are inept in all facets of their jobs.

Fraser circling the wagons trying to protect the refs. This code stuff is a joke, comparing it to that Vegas saying is about right since that is basically another way of saying 'covering up stuff you probably shouldn't have done'.

Fraser,

You have to understand. There are a great many people all over the league who follow this game VERY closely. And more players than ever making comments about game management.

You even wrote an article a few weeks back about how game management was in fact a real and present thing in the sport. Watson has been a hot button issue for a few different teams' fans and the obvious game management at times especially between the refular season and playoffs is self evident.

Until the refs step up THEIR game, expect the players and fans will STILL be leveling a lot of blame at the feet of the zebras.

Fraser,

You have to understand. There are a great many people all over the league who follow this game VERY closely. And more players than ever making comments about game management.

You even wrote an article a few weeks back about how game management was in fact a real and present thing in the sport. Watson has been a hot button issue for a few different teams' fans and the obvious game management at times especially between the refular season and playoffs is self evident.

Until the refs step up THEIR game, expect the players and fans will STILL be leveling a lot of blame at the feet of the zebras.

have you ever reffed an actual hockey game? It's incredible fast and incredibly difficult at any level. Being at ice level and trying to see everything is impossible. Do you honestly believe the refs are not doing the absolute best they can?

NHL officials are sleazebags who have way too much power and openly admit to having biases towards players. This kind of fraternal scumduggery should be banished from the game.

Also they are inept in all facets of their jobs.

I disagree.

IMHO, what's been happening the past several years is the pressure to ref a game is way higher and sometimes that pressure gets to the refs - just like how we as fans boil over every now and then as well as the players.

There's a lot more at stake now (financially) than there was 10 years ago and more....

Archived