The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CHL. Would you support it?

I would not support it because it reeks of a wackadoodle Don Cherry idea. I don't understand the Canada VS USA obsession many people in Canada have. No one in the USA gives a sh*t LOL.

You are right, nobody in the US really cares. Other American sporting markets clearly dominate hockey. In an attempt to change this, the NHL is delivering a larger proportion of promotional events in an attempt to increase TV viewing numbers in the States.

Canadians love the game of hockey, which is why it is difficult to watch the NHL shun (cream profits) the Canadian markets while it promotes the game in the States at our expense(whilst willingly accepting CDN franchise $$ to fund these mandates). IMO it stinks.

I like the NHL, I think if one of the Canadian teams can build a cup winner then the cup will come to Canada, end of story. Eneough of all the game management BS, yeah there are bad calls everywhere, but at least the bad calls are consistent eneough in that they effect all teams around the league both positively and negativley, thus making no ultimate impact.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/tim-peel-nhl-ref-suspended-for-bar-meeting-with-blogger-report-1.2943544

This article is just one of many where game management is cited. It exists, I find it difficult to accept you dismiss it.

The NHL pay the referees salaries and control their future careers. Refs will get paid a fractional amount in lower leagues. NHL refs will carry out the direction the NHL wishes to impose game in game out - otherwise they need to find a new career.

The one thing we can agree on is it happens across the entire NHL, but it still does not make it right. Vancouver's biggest problem is we put up a statue outside the rink glorifying the protest of game management.

There already is a CHL and I do support it. The Quebec/Kelowna game was as good as any I have seen this year. I think a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking the NHL is the only hockey worth watching, new flash it isn't. Far more bang for the buck watching Major junior, the NHL has sold its soul for the almighty dollar and sacrificed integrity for profit. There is a whole world of hockey out there and you can see some pretty fantactic plays outside the NHL.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/tim-peel-nhl-ref-suspended-for-bar-meeting-with-blogger-report-1.2943544

This article is just one of many where game management is cited. It exists, I find it difficult to accept you dismiss it.

The NHL pay the referees salaries and control their future careers. Refs will get paid a fractional amount in lower leagues. NHL refs will carry out the direction the NHL wishes to impose game in game out - otherwise they need to find a new career.

The one thing we can agree on is it happens across the entire NHL, but it still does not make it right. Vancouver's biggest problem is we put up a statue outside the rink glorifying the protest of game management.

This is why I rarely watch the NHL anymore, too frustrating due to this management. I find myself repeating the same three phrases over and over again.

1 "What do you call that?" used after a blatant missed (ignored) call

2 "How do you not call that?" (because phrase 1 gets used so often it gets monotonous)

3 "Oh sure you call that" (after a chincy hooking call following 10 minutes of total mayhem)

I like the NHL, I think if one of the Canadian teams can build a cup winner then the cup will come to Canada, end of story. Eneough of all the game management BS, yeah there are bad calls everywhere, but at least the bad calls are consistent eneough in that they effect all teams around the league both positively and negativley, thus making no ultimate impact.

But they aren't consistent and do negatively impact the game. Consistent isn't in the NHL reffing vocabulary.

If it ever happened I would support it if it had the vancouver canucks in it.

It will never happen though. I think the CFL is a bit of a joke. Especially when it had two teams with the same name. Some of the coaches had coached over half of the teams. It just doesn't seem like a legit league unless there are a considerable amount of teams

If it ever happened I would support it if it had the vancouver canucks in it.

It will never happen though. I think the CFL is a bit of a joke. Especially when it had two teams with the same name. Some of the coaches had coached over half of the teams. It just doesn't seem like a legit league unless there are a considerable amount of teams

Thats because both teams existed long before the CFL and both were founding members, the AHL has two teams named Admirals (Milwaukee & Norfolk) becasue one was in the AHL and the other was taken in when the IHL folded.

No, any nationality would be able to play in the league. It would water down the product similar to the KHL over the last few years. However, you need to remember that Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are three of the biggest revenue earners in the NHL so could afford to bring in world class players.

What this would mean is a serious drop in revenue for the NHL.

However, as one poster already summarized the Rogers TV deal has already been signed which would limit the options of a new league. This is ultimately all the current NHL is interested in - close games (game management) in large populated TV markets attracting more eyes on the TV.

TSN and CBC would be all over it.

There is a significant bias in the league toward American franchises, if for no other reason, than the expansion agenda for the NHL has and always will be to ram the sport down the throats of generally unwilling markets. South Florida, Phoenix, and Atlanta have all failed, and failed hard.

If it was the leagues intention to be a premier league, and improve the league for the betterment of the game, they would be expanding NORTH, not SOUTH.

I would be all for a Canadian Professional Hockey League (CPHL), I prefer to put my money into the local and national economy before putting it into foreign markets.

The sad thing is, it will never happen because the owners will never willingly devalue their franchises, so really it's a pipe dream, and one who's only chance at coming to fruition effectively rests on the collapse of the US economy, which has other far reaching implications for Canada and the rest of the world, and would effectively mean no professional hockey.

So yeah, I'd like to see it, but it will never happen.

Funny I had a conversation about this idea last week, I'm actually not surprised that there's an awareness of what's happening with the NHL and how Bettman is treating it (along with the sh*tty TV deals) and Bettman knows among the top profting teams in the league are Canadian teams.

If we were to make a professional level league in Canada, it'll be like the CFL is now and also the Kontinental league over in Russia-east EU. CFL has players that didn't make the cut in the NFL, so players that barely makes it in the NHL would end up playing in the Canadian league which in turn gets lower pay resulting in lower ticket prices.

PS- been going to Calgary Hitmen, Kelowna Rocket and Vancouver Giants games this past year. And as awesome as the Rockets has been, I'm sad that Kelowna has some of the crappiest fans, omg they don't seem to care about this team.

If this is WHA part 2, I'm not sure I would support the new league.

However If this was a new league formed by the actual Canadian teams separating out from the NHL, then I would definetely support it. You would have NHL caliber rinks, teams and management at the get go so there would be no minor league feel. You can even expand right way into Quebec City, maybe Hamilton and a second team in Toronto to get us to 10 teams.

TV rights, as mentioned before would feasibly be scooped up by Bell/TSN, and hell even Rogers could bid too...why not broadcast both leagues..nothing stopping them. I also believe Rogers has an out in the 12 year contract too. Remember, Rogers bid billions because that's how much the NHL is worth to Canadian viewers..so you can get a significant proportion of that for a Canadian only league.

Sponsors: you're gonna get telecoms, Tim Hortons, banks (TD/RBC/BMO etc), Canadian Tire, SunLife, Air Canada, Westjet, and so on and so on. So don't worry about that.

The issue would be all players contracts would immediatedly be void as they are NHL contracts. Now they may be able to redraft those players into the new league, and as players contracts expire in the NHL they would be free to sign up north. The first couple of years could be watered down, but eventually you will get a very high level amount of talent. On top of that, lots of Jr players to choose from, who would have the option now to sign with either the NHL or the new league right after they finish their jr career.

Lastly, for the name, I would call it the Dominion Hockey League or something to that effect. Sounds very Canadian to me.

This is purely an exercise in fantasy, but it's a fun exercise nonetheless.

Those stating that a new CHL would become a back-water are correct.

There seems to be an assumption by some, that established Canadian NHL franchises would jump to this new league. I don't see that happening. The current owners would lose far too much money.

How much money could the Canucks bring in without the kind of revenue they get through the NHL? I'm thinking it would not be anywhere near enough to the type of cap which they have currently. Players (of whichever nationality) would be less interested in a CHL contract.

To attract star players the CHL franchises would have to pay much higher amounts than what is payed out to NHL stars, and even then it probably wouldn't be guys like Crosby or Stamkos getting those kinds of deals. There would likely be a number of contracts in the $7 or 8 million range going to guys who people around say are overpaid at $5 million.

If the owner of an NHL team did remove his team from the NHL, the NHL could place a new team into that market which would put the CHL team under additional financial stress . Could a former NHL franchise compete with a new NHL franchise? Possibly, for a few seasons, but eventually money would take a toll and the former NHL franchise would fold.

Aren't player contracts with NHL teams also with the NHL (as noted above)? Certainly the NHLPA is in partnership with the NHL. I believe that a player, who had a current contract with an NHL franchise which bolted to the CHL, could choose to have that contract nullified making him a UFA who could then sign with a team in the NHL.

I figure that if folks don't like the NHL then don't watch the NHL. As long as you continue to watch the games, buy the products and be part of the advertising revenue stream then your bellyaching falls on deaf ears.

regards,

G.

Considering the Stanley Cup was a gift to Canada, from England, by the Governor General of Canada - Frederick Stanley (Stanley Park was named after him as well). I would think the "CHL" could be able to lay claim to the Cup.

According to Forbes, the top 5 largest revenue earning franchizes in the NHL inlcude Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver - this accounts for over 75% of the NHLs total operating income.

I am interested if anyone would support a Canadian Hockey League in a similar way to the CFL? Or do we prefer the current setup which a handful of franchizes subsidize YOY, offers a larger TV market and wider competition?

The cities inside Canada to make up the league: Tor, MTL, Van, CGY, EDM, OTT, Win, Halifax, Quebec, Miss'ga, Hamilton, Regina, Saskatoon and possibly Surrey and London.

*To make it more interesting the top Canadian team could play the top US equivalent after the playoffs are finished.

Okay this without a doubt is the stupidest thread I have ever seen on this forum.

Realistically, it doesn't matter if the fans will support it or not.

Without major corporate sponsorship and lucrative television deals, this new league cant build arenas or pay the players what the NHL can. Without the players and arenas, its just an inferior league.

An inferior league would never work...simply compare AHL attendance to NHL attendance for all the proof you need as to whether the fans will support it or not.

We have an inferior league, it's called the CFL, it'll work.

On another note, I'm actually curious on how the NHL would change if Bettman stepped down and Shanahan took over, maybe the NHL wouldn't become so super Americanized.

We have an inferior league, it's called the CFL, it'll work.

On another note, I'm actually curious on how the NHL would change if Bettman stepped down and Shanahan took over, maybe the NHL wouldn't become so super Americanized.

And how many NFL teams have bolted for the CFL? How many NFL drafted players opted for the CFL instead? How do the revenues of the CFL match up against the NFL?

It'll be a glorified beer league, nothing more.

And how many NFL teams have bolted for the CFL? How many NFL drafted players opted for the CFL instead? How do the revenues of the CFL match up against the NFL?

It'll be a glorified beer league, nothing more.

I just think of the CFL like the SHL or Liiga is to the NHL.

The bottom line to me is the Memorial Cup is the modern Stanley Cup. There are only a few US teams in the CHL.

The format is similar to the Challenge Cup idea. And the Cup tends to stay in Canada.

I just hope that all the Canadian Franchises get stronger, and the Stanley Cup can come home to Canada where it belongs.

Perferably a team picture in Stanley Park with it. ;)

The bottom line to me is the Memorial Cup is the modern Stanley Cup. There are only a few US teams in the CHL.

The format is similar to the Challenge Cup idea. And the Cup tends to stay in Canada.

I just hope that all the Canadian Franchises get stronger, and the Stanley Cup can come home to Canada where it belongs.

I don't see it happening as long as the Evil Dwarf and his cronies (Jacobs, Leopold, Anschultz) run this gong show. All they care about is US tv ratings and Canadian teams don't help that.

Technically, the Cup will probably never go home again...its original birthplace was a jewelry shop in Derby, England and I can't imagine it will visit there anytime soon. It does however stay in its Canadian home at the HHOF in Toronto on almost a year round basis. It will also go "home" during its trek all over Canada in the summer, as any Stanley Cup winning team will have a good number of Canadians on their roster, and each will have their day with the Cup.

I know thats not exactly what you meant though.

Archived