The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta Election: NDP Wins Majority to End PC Dynasty

DonLever

Are you a cowboy?

Unfortunately not. I've been here too long. I do wear cowboy shirts and have entire outfits of Levis brand clothing. I shamelessly wear jeans and a jean jacket of the same colour, and I have been up before the sun to milk cows (not a joke). I wish I was a cowboy, but I am hardly even a wannabe cowboy. I still don't see the NDP getting elected. I am often in Alberta for work and I have lived in BC for many years and I make this comparison to those who may not fully understand the difference. Redneck is to Alberta what Hippie is to BC. They both permeate the culture but should not define specific individuals. You may or may not agree.

BUT....

Since the 3 parties have 1/3 share of the vote according to the polls, it is hard to predict who will win.

Will we see a repeat of the 2012 election where Wildrose was ahead in the polls but people on the left voted for the PC to keep out Wildrose?

Or will we see the voters on the right who may vote Wildrose hold their nose and vote for the PCs to keep out the NDP?

It appears the NDP got a solid grip on Edmonton and Wildrose doing well in rural areas. That leaves the Calgary area. If the PC, who normally does well in Calgary lose big, the PCs are done.

Why wouldn't you want the NDP in place? The fear mongering against them is sooooo outdated. Like the classic fear that they will ruin big business and just give all the money to unions.

Exactly!

Don't people understand, Alberta doesn't really have unions. Hard to claim unions will be an issue when PC governments and Harper have fostered such a large contingent of TFWs instead.

Cry about unions...lose your job to a TFW

I am not at all an NDP supporter, and will never be, however, this needs to happen. Prentice and the rest of the Torries need to get out of office ASAP. For too long have the PC's been on a power trip. Stelmach, Redford, now Prentice. Change needs to happen.

If Alberta can swing this far from the Conservatives I am thinking the rest of the country can as well.

The implications for the national election just got a whole lot more interesting.

Harper must have pooped his pants tonight.

Even Prentice cabinet members are getting thumped. Listening to the radio on the way to work and everything you can tell people here are pissed off. Normally smugness takes over on election day but despite me not liking the NDP it's nice to see people actually caring.

Archived