The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040 (May 4)

Gstank29

This is a bit tough, but I am beginning to have my doubts about Benning as GM. Love him as head scout but he might be in over his head in some areas (like contract negotiations).

And, while I was negative about Gillis by the time he left, he did at least sound intelligent. Benning does sometimes sound kind of clueless.

Who gives a damn what he sounds like.

I actually bumped into JB on the Hastings bus last night... He said that interview was a smoke screen and Canucks fans get ready because, and I'm quoting here, next year the Canucks will add speed, strength, scoring and defence and all through 3 great pickups and 2 amazing trades.

I tried to get the details but he urinated in his pants and sexually harassed the woman sitting next us.

Might not have been him come to think about it, but I'm still hopeful.

Wonderful caveat, made the whole thing even funnier.

i think some people just hear what they want to hear...i'm glad that benning comes on...he can't tell us, some of the things they are planning because that could screw up what they are trying to do...i find him quite honest....and glad he is our gm.

From the onset last year I did not like the hiring of this management group and to a lesser degree WD as head coach. This is a very precarious time in our franchise - we need to replace core players with younger players - that is perhaps the most difficult situation any management group could confront. I did and still do not like the idea of having rookies (Linden and Benning) trying to undertake such a difficult task.

Unfortunately, every time I hear Benning he makes me cringe more and more. The Sbisa deal of course was horrible. But when he explains his reasoning it makes him sound even worse. Even if he believe Sbisa is good for whatever reason I have yet to hear him actually explain why it was so important to make that signing during the regular season.

I just hope Benning's scouting abilities are as advertised although I am skeptical again on this point. Buffalo's drafting record was average when he their head scout and when he was in Boston their drafting was below average. Of course he didn't have final say on who was drafted so I am holding out that he made good recommendations which weren't actualized.

Corsi is such an overrated and stupid analytic to look at. While Dorsett had the worst, he provides the team with something nobody else has on our team, which isn't recorded as a stat. And no it's not leadership.

It's an insurance so that when Bieksa and Hamhuis are UFAs, he knows he doesn't have to push too hard on himself to get them re-signed just to fill up roster spots. Who knows, they both could walk/retire and that's why Sbisa's contract is there

Also, it provides leverage in contract talks. If a team has nobody signed, all of a sudden, Hamhuis and Bieksa become PIVOTAL. If you got other guys on the roster, then it gives you options.

People already turning on Benning. Big surprise on this site.

This season was a success. If you expected Benning to flip this team into a contender in one year you are dreaming. All I ask is that we make some smart trades, drafts, and signings leading up to the next season and improve the team again. If that happens, I'm happy.

i think some people just hear what they want to hear...i'm glad that benning comes on...he can't tell us, some of the things they are planning because that could screw up what they are trying to do...i find him quite honest....and glad he is our gm.

Well said!

All we ever got from the previous GM was "its a process", "reset", "retool" and "bold moves"

We should be happy that Benning is straight forward and honest in his answers.

From the onset last year I did not like the hiring of this management group and to a lesser degree WD as head coach. This is a very precarious time in our franchise - we need to replace core players with younger players - that is perhaps the most difficult situation any management group could confront. I did and still do not like the idea of having rookies (Linden and Benning) trying to undertake such a difficult task.

Unfortunately, every time I hear Benning he makes me cringe more and more. The Sbisa deal of course was horrible. But when he explains his reasoning it makes him sound even worse. Even if he believe Sbisa is good for whatever reason I have yet to hear him actually explain why it was so important to make that signing during the regular season.

I just hope Benning's scouting abilities are as advertised although I am skeptical again on this point. Buffalo's drafting record was average when he their head scout and when he was in Boston their drafting was below average. Of course he didn't have final say on who was drafted so I am holding out that he made good recommendations which weren't actualized.

This is not having an opinion and sharing it on CDC, it is trolling again, so who cares what you say, what you thought, or what you say you think?

You have a very high and unjustified opinion of yourself and a very low and unjustified opinion of Trevor Linden, Jim Benning, and the rest of management.

Let's see who's opinion is worthy of respect, some fat-headed trolling poster, or professionally-engaged, thoughtful and decisive management staff?

This transition is the most difficult thing for you perhaps, but Trevor, Jim, and Willy were hired specifically for this transition and have been executing their plan since they were hired.

Cringe and call them rookies if you want, think they are not capable if that is what floats your boat, but posting the same nonsense here only opens you up for derision.

Most of this post is just your big opinion of yourself sprinkled with bait complaining about management and their decisions.

Isn't that Spisa trade bait all washed out by now? Time to change it, no one is biting on that anymore.

You are the only person on the planet that thinks JB is not a good scout, and that upper management is not listening to him or acting on his scouting reports.

Well, either that, or more likely, you have just added these pontifications as your new bait.

Well, I may have bit on this post, but I am not hooked, and my formula for this type of behaviour is simple:

Still spewing his egotistical nonsense = Put back on "Ignore".

This is not having an opinion and sharing it on CDC, it is trolling again, so who cares what you say, what you thought, or what you say you think?

You have a very high and unjustified opinion of yourself and a very low and unjustified opinion of Trevor Linden, Jim Benning, and the rest of management.

Let's see who's opinion is worthy of respect, some fat-headed trolling poster, or professionally-engaged, thoughtful and decisive management staff?

This transition is the most difficult thing for you perhaps, but Trevor, Jim, and Willy were hired specifically for this transition and have been executing their plan since they were hired.

Cringe and call them rookies if you want, think they are not capable if that is what floats your boat, but posting the same nonsense here only opens you up for derision.

Most of this post is just your big opinion of yourself sprinkled with bait complaining about management and their decisions.

Isn't that Spisa trade bait all washed out by now? Time to change it, no one is biting on that anymore.

You are the only person on the planet that thinks JB is not a good scout, and that upper management is not listening to him or acting on his scouting reports.

Well, either that, or more likely, you have just added these pontifications as your new bait.

Well, I may have bit on this post, but I am not hooked, and my formula for this type of behaviour is simple:

Chill out dude, it's his opinion....

People who use the word troll make me think they're 15 years old..

I don't think Benning is that great of a scout either. Was nothing special in Buffalo or Boston and Vey, Clendening, Sautner, etc all look pretty meh imo.

We'll see what he does this off season. If we still have all our vets and Matthias somehow gets re-signed, then I won't have very much faith in him.

He did have a good 1st year as a GM though.

Absolutely thrilled that the Canucks have both Linden and Benning who played the game at a elite level. Linden knows what it is like to come into the league as a 18 year old. I am sure what he saw many nights was not pretty. The fact that he thinks young 18 year olds should not be exposed to that and that the CHL 20 year old grads should see time in the AHL is great.

Will watch the Draft again this year with much interest as Benning's group appears to have done very well last year. I do expect a major deal on the back end.

I hope we can hold on to Matthias for another year or two. He's still young, got great size that is unmatched on this team and potted 18 goals as a 4th line center. Not many 3rd line centers score 18 goals, let alone 4th line centers playing 10 minutes a night. One of the biggest reason we had such great depth was because of Matthias' streaky scoring.

Hopefully we can hold on to him for 1 or 2 more years at 2M per.

The only knock on him is that he didn't really use his body consistently, and was shredded defensively. Of course if we let Richardson AND Matthias walk, who is there to fill that 4th line center spot?

Gaunce has been playing the wing pretty much all season so if he's to become a Canuck next season, I'd hope he slowly transitions into the center spot by playing on the wing first.

Linden Vey is alright but was bullied around, and far too small to be a checking line center.

Benning and Linden have said it themselves that they don't want Cassels or McCann thrown into the NHL, but to play in the AHL first, so they're definately not candidates for the 4th center spot.

JB needs to realize how important Matthias was to this team's bottom-6, and that he has to be re-signed. Dorsett is a kind of player who could have easily been replaced by a kid on the wing and the sort of veteran we need to get rid of (good toughness but shocking defensive stats, one of the worst Corsi's on the team), but good luck replacing Richardson and Matthias at center.

If he's worried about cap, get rid of Higgins and/or Bieksa. I'll admit Burrows is a good veteran to have around the kids growing into the NHL, but as great as Higgins and Bieksa have been at times, they're expendable now.

hard to justify giving Matthias 2mil per when you gave Dorsett 2.65mil per.

Chill out dude, it's his opinion....

People who use the word troll make me think they're 15 years old..

I don't think Benning is that great of a scout either. Was nothing special in Buffalo or Boston and Vey, Clendening, Sautner, etc all look pretty meh imo.

We'll see what he does this off season. If we still have all our vets and Matthias somehow gets re-signed, then I won't have very much faith in him.

He did have a good 1st year as a GM though.

Agreed.

I generally ignore posters that go off on personal attacks rather than discuss Canucks related issues.

I thought Bennings first year was kind of mixed. I don't think there was enough change over to attribute this seasons success over last year purely to Benning. The majority of the team still is Gillis' creation. In another year or so and the team will firmly become Bennings'.

Meh. the guy you are responding to is stating his opinion: that is, he is skeptical of this management team. This is not trolling. And I dont see how his opinion reflects that he is very high of himself.

You are the one who doesn't make any sense.

I actually bumped into JB on the Hastings bus last night... He said that interview was a smoke screen and Canucks fans get ready because, and I'm quoting here, next year the Canucks will add speed, strength, scoring and defence and all through 3 great pickups and 2 amazing trades.

I tried to get the details but he urinated in his pants and sexually harassed the woman sitting next us.

Might not have been him come to think about it, but I'm still hopeful.

I'm sure this a first-hand account of what happened to you, but projected onto another person. Get some help, bud.

Archived