The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040 (May 4)

Gstank29

Average puck mover. Not worth much more than a second.

There`s D-men like him available every offseason.

30 point pace last four seasons, +27 this year.

would be the third or fourth best d on this team, signed at a fair caphit.

ok.jpg

30 point pace last four seasons, +27 this year.

would be the third or fourth best d on this team, signed at a fair caphit.

ok.jpg

Who cares what he`d be on our team? Our D barely even put up points now.

Again 30 point D-men can be had on the open market for the same price. It wasn't as big of a loss as some people think.

Sure I would have rather traded Bieksa. But that was just the start of the change over we needed on D. Next contracts to go will be Bieksa and Hamhuis.

Who cares what he`d be on our team? Our D barely even put up points now.

Again 30 point D-men can be had on the open market for the same price. It wasn't as big of a loss as some people think.

Sure I would have rather traded Bieksa. But that was just the start of the change over we needed on D. Next contracts to go will be Bieksa and Hamhuis.

to be fair, i'm also not a fan of trading hamhuis.

don't understand the logic in having no veteran defensemen, while having 6-7 veteran forwards. bieksa should be the first to go - then we need to move salary up front - not at the back.

hamhuis should be paired with corrado next season as far as i'm concerned - seems like green thinks he's ready for the nhl next season.

to be fair, i'm also not a fan of trading hamhuis.

don't understand the logic in having no veteran defensemen, while having 6-7 veteran forwards. bieksa should be the first to go - then we need to move salary up front - not at the back.

hamhuis should be paired with corrado next season as far as i'm concerned - seems like green thinks he's ready for the nhl next season.

Where/when do you see Clendening fitting in?

I think you are right.

When you look at the Canucks depth chart and the players that are already signed, I think both Richardson and Matthias are unlikely to be on the roster next year. Out of the two I would rather see Richardson signed to solidify that 4th line but Matthias is a different story.

Although he scored 18 goals like you've said, it hasn't been much else that he has been doing well that can't be replaced by someone on a lower cap hit. I'm not talking about having Virtanen making the team because I don't think he is ready like Bo was at the beginning of the year and there are a lot of elements of his game that needs to be rounded out before he can be an effective NHL player.

Alex Grenier is a player that a lot of people on CDC forget about and he has quietly become on of the best players on the Comets. I hope the Canucks give him an opportunity next year to show what he can do at the NHL level. I also expect Shinkaruk to get his full 9 games of action to start the year and most likely be sent down to Utica after.

With not moving Higgins, I only see one option out of NTC group trade wise and that would be Kevin Bieksa. Despite him being such a loyal and invested member of this team, it just feels like it is time for the organization and him to move on for the better good of both parties.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Dorsett - Richardson - Hansen

Kassian, Vrbata, Hansen and Burrows can be moved up and down the line-up but I don't think the Canucks are going to be very busy during the FA period atleast in terms of forwards.

I expect Kenins and Virtanen in the bottom 6 and Baertschi in the top 6

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Virtanen-Horvat-Burrows

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Higgins/Matthais/Hansen(unfortunatly) have to go

I would not be surprised if Hamhuis and Bieksa both had career years next season. It is their last chance to get a big pay day before they are really considered ancient.

Contract years usually tend to bring out the best in players. All of a sudden, when next years paycheck isn't guaranteed players tend to have a bit more hustle and bustle in their step. They also know that with contracts coming up, GMs would be looking to potentially move players they feel they can't resign etc. I agree. i see both of them being much better next year.

Also, especially someone like Kevin Bieksa who kind of struggled this season. He's like the Sedins. All work ethic, all hustle, all the time. He's not the kind of guy that would have a bad season, and say, "eh whatever." I expect him to do EVERYTHING he can to make an impact next season. (He also really wants to be a Canuck. He see's the writing on the wall. Youth movement is coming. He has one season left to prove he deserves to stay on this team despite the youth movement. I'm with you Juice. But you gotta produce

I expect Kenins and Virtanen in the bottom 6 and Baertschi in the top 6

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Virtanen-Horvat-Burrows

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Higgins/Matthais/Hansen(unfortunatly) have to go

I could dig this. Gaunce with a call-up.

I'm saddened with the rampant Bieksa hate. How quickly is loyalty dismissed? If we had Dors healthy and ZK in the lineup, we'd be knotted with ANA right now. Circumstances happen. Don't slag our only capable warrior from the playoffs.

SMH.

Put a lemon in the beer or a lime in the coconut. Dispell the acidic hatred of KB3.

-lemons and limes are alkaline when ingested.

I'm saddened with the rampant Bieksa hate. How quickly is loyalty dismissed? If we had Dors healthy and ZK in the lineup, we'd be knotted with ANA right now. Circumstances happen. Don't slag our only capable warrior from the playoffs.

SMH.

Put a lemon in the beer or a lime in the coconut. Dispell the acidic hatred of KB3.

He has to be a capable defenseman before he's a capable warrior.

It\s pretty obvious to most people on here that he's not an effective top 4 D-man anymore.

It\s pretty obvious to most people on here that he's not an effective top 4 D-man anymore.

I dunno, I think even Top 6 is a stretch with how he played down the stretch and into the playoffs. And you can't have that kind of salary riding the pressbox.

I'd be sad, but happy to see him go. He hasn't brought it in three years now and makes his partner worse. Sad because it's another drafted Canuck gone, but happy because we have the chance to improve.

So we ride out this next year and retain him for bottom six. Never once did I say anything about top4. He used to hit the net.. Cheers Dinero, I always enjoy your thought.

everyone in the west will likely be better next year exceptin . . . say coyote and ah . . . canuck. calgary will likely continue to improve. colorado will have a difficult time reproducing their terrible year. the oil, ?? who knows what immediate impact mcd will have. mostly kings and sharks will be a good bet to bounce back. if we go through yet another year with this core in a sad, feeble effort to just make the playoffs, we will once again be losing a valuable year of what should be a rebuild, farther obscuring the 'change is coming' motto.

everyone in the west will likely be better next year exceptin . . . say coyote and ah . . . canuck. calgary will likely continue to improve. colorado will have a difficult time reproducing their terrible year. the oil, ?? who knows what immediate impact mcd will have. mostly kings and sharks will be a good bet to bounce back. if we go through yet another year with this core in a sad, feeble effort to just make the playoffs, we will once again be losing a valuable year of what should be a rebuild, farther obscuring the 'change is coming' motto.

there is no way this organization can sell a similar model to what they sold this season, absolutely not.

Contract years usually tend to bring out the best in players. All of a sudden, when next years paycheck isn't guaranteed players tend to have a bit more hustle and bustle in their step. They also know that with contracts coming up, GMs would be looking to potentially move players they feel they can't resign etc. I agree. i see both of them being much better next year.

Also, especially someone like Kevin Bieksa who kind of struggled this season. He's like the Sedins. All work ethic, all hustle, all the time. He's not the kind of guy that would have a bad season, and say, "eh whatever." I expect him to do EVERYTHING he can to make an impact next season. (He also really wants to be a Canuck. He see's the writing on the wall. Youth movement is coming. He has one season left to prove he deserves to stay on this team despite the youth movement. I'm with you Juice. But you gotta produce

not the case for bieksa et al. going back two seasons, the capitulation would have made last year a contract year for every player on the team hence, you could speculate that is how we squeaked into the post season. coming off this most recent season, that group drive to "rebound" may be softened a bit. hence: we are in a fair bit of trouble.

SMH.

I could easily be the most loyal player in the league if I'm just given a chance, but I suck, so loyalty doesn't matter. Bieksa has not been good, so his loyalty doesn't mean much

If they had Giordano and Bouma? The playoffs are a war of attrition. Teams who have players that can stay healthy will win. We deserved to lose that series

I could easily be the most loyal player in the league if I'm just given a chance, but I suck, so loyalty doesn't matter. Bieksa has not been good, so his loyalty doesn't mean much

If they had Giordano and Bouma? The playoffs are a war of attrition. Teams who have players that can stay healthy will win. We deserved to lose that series

I think it'd be fun to put a $100 on a bait caster and watch you run around Vancouver all day.

Loyalty is everything.

Gio is a top 5 D in the league for sure. We're all well aware of that. KB was our only warrior. CGY has 17 CANADIAN boys on the roster.

It was like a lone wolf taking on a pack. We deserved to lose absolutely, and it's quite apparent as to why.

Hamhuis had a bad injury and crap linemates. We cant move him and expect to be better. Sign a 2nd pairing right D, or make a package from Lack Bieksa Higgins prospects to get a younger one. If Sbisa kills it, we can get a 1st for Hammer at the deadline

We need to get a 2nd and 3rd back this summer. Deal Higgins for a pick between 55-65, and with so many good pmd in the draft, I say we trade down 5-10 spots to get a top 60 pick

Disappointed to here Weber will be resigned. With Tanev Weber Corrado Clendinning on the right, it means no right D will be added, therefore Hamhuis will either play with Juice or Weber. No strong enough. We gave Edler a gift in Tanev to rejuvinate his career. Give Hamhuis a legit top 4 dman to solidy our D

Archived