The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040 (May 4)

Gstank29

contrary to others' thoughts, i think that benning's season ending presser + this conference were quite good and extremely telling. i was impressed, and based on that i'm expecting change.

linden pissed me off with his $&!# though. i mean, we knew he'd be just a face within the organization - but he can't be giving diplomatic answers right now. it's obvious he was hiding his thoughts and just shielding comments.

Everyone read please. Opinions

*UFA's I think we should go for that actually make us younger not older, free of cost

Hope we pursue Beleskey hard to reunite him with Bonino (who looks great by the way right now in Prague) on the 2nd line with Vrbata. That line could get roughly 75 goals next year. The 2 of them are just 26 which is great. Bonino had a late NHL start, only 3 full years now I believe, so best days surely ahead of him. Bartkowski, also 26 years old, is in a similar situation, just having completed his 2nd full season in the NHL. Wonder if he's comfortable playing on the right. He and Hamhuis would be great compliments for each other IMO (it can do for Hamhuis, what Tanev did for Edler after his poor season). Weber and Matthias are 26 and 27, and both still have lots of room for improvement, so wouldnt be so bad to resign them, but only if price is right (after Dorsett n Sbisa's deals, id be scared to see what these 2 would get). The only player 30 years of age that I want is Mark Letestu. I think he'd be perfect on the 4th line, reunited with Dorsett. Those two with either Kenins, Hansen, or Matthias would make for a 4th line that would actually score more then they let up. Itd be a great grinding line that would work especially well on the road. I think they would make for a perfect playoff lline as well. For home games, we could have Letestu between Linden Vey and Baertschi or Matthias. He would be the first right handed centre on the team which is important Lastly, would be nice to replace Bieksa with Mcquaid (deal Juice for 2nd+3rd). Mcquaid and Sbisa are exactly what teams need on their bottom pairing, like Greene+Mitchell/Regehr

*Small observation, but if you think about it, this could make a huge difference:

I have confidence Bonino can be a legit number 2 this year, which would be great for us cuz I think we all agree that Bo will be a very solid number 3, so with the extra defensive minutes given to those two (who happen to be our best faceoff men), means Sedins can be given strictly offensive zone draws only (and PP). This is especially great cuz if they dont get defensive zone starts, its safe to say they'll be in the offensive zone close to 80% of the game . Therefore, we can now put Kassian (whos a huge defensive liability) on that line

Nice to see Utica move on to the second round, knocking off St Louis' AHL affiliate in Chicago and outplaying them by a sound margin.

Baertschi played a big role, with 5 points in 3 games in that series - immediate dividends on that deal, whether people focusing on the Canucks level of this franchise realize it or not.

Clendening with a pair of goals in that series.

Will be interesting to see what youth emerge from their young group - between Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Jensen....McCann, Cassels, Virtanen - they certainly have some guys with legit shots to have solid NHL careers. Likewise on the blueline with Corrado, Clendening, Pedan.....Tryamkin, Subban, Cederholm, Hutton, (Sautner, McNally). Markstrom....Demko.

Also pretty excited about a few possible pmds that could be available when they draft this year....

People are quick to get on Baertschi for his physicality factor but there is many players his size or smaller that play big roles for their respective teams. Given the right role, we definitely will see this trade pay off. The fact that Calgary seemingly wrote him off doesn't mean a whole lot in my books. Sometimes that happens. One mans trash is another mans treasure as they say.

Having a strong AHL affiliate is going to be absolutely critical in our next few seasons. The ability to reach down into our system and pluck some guys to have a proper look at them in NHL games against the best in the world is a really big deal. Arguably the best move this franchise has made in quite some time.

Fact of the matter is, until we see a player with NHL calibre linemates in big game situations, you don't truly know what you have with a prospect. Some players don't come into their own before getting their break, and we've all seen many guys light junior and the A on fire and fizzling out in the big show.

Like many, Virtanen obviously excites me, but Tryamkin could turn out to be a really big player for us, no pun intended. With proper coaching and development, we potentially have a lot of really good players throughout our system that can be successful in both professional leagues. Obviously this means a lot more to some than others, and while I don't follow Utica quite as closely, I do keep tabs on our guys and would love to see a Calder in our organization.

As you alluded, a PMD will be of the utmost importance in this coming draft and I'm confident Benning is well aware of this. I believe (don't care to check) we are picking at 21st overall thus far? Any idea which Dman would be the best overall pick at that point in the draft?

Defence is clearly our biggest weakpoint, and I think size is something we need to work towards as well. However, imo I believe it's far easier and quicker to buy a heftier, defence first kind of defenceman than a true PMD. I think that's the route we go this off season.

Moves I'd like to see this year:

One of Higgins, Bieksa, or Hamhuis moved for the right price. I'm well aware of the analytics behind Higgins' play, and I don't believe Hamhuis had as poor of a season as many here seem to think. However, given the age of these players and what they bring to this team, I believe we could replace them with cheaper and younger players. I won't be upset to see any stay, but I would like them (with the except of Hamhuis) to have reduced roles.

Draft a PMD early for reasons already mentioned.

Draft a highly skilled winger. Size is obviously something to look at but I want a guy who scores goals and is exciting to watch. I believe we might very well have this with Baertschi already but another younger one in the pipeline wouldn't hurt.

UFA a crease clearing Dman. Also as mentioned already... I'd like to take a run at a guy like Andrej Meszaros if possible.

Benning has done a great job so far. He's hit a couple home runs, and had a few gambles that haven't panned out maybe as much as some ridiculously short sighted CDC'ers would prefer, but I believe he's in a great position moving forward. I like our direction.

People don't realize that he is a major, major longshot to make the NHL.

Lighting it up in Jr has nothing to do with being able to handle a big presence in front of the net.

On average It takes a normal sized D-man +\- 8 years from his draft year to max out potential. It could take Subban 10. 1 highly doubt we will be that patient with a 5-8er. Lots of other bigger/ taller options to develop into PP guyz.

I personally have no use for a midget D-man.

He's already about the same size as Kris Russell....

In my opinion Benning is neither a genius or a crappy gm. So far he's been decent but he's made a few good moves and a few where he left me scratching my head. Vrbata, Clendenning, McCann ( even though it was a no brainer pick at 24th) Virtanen who if he can be consistent is exactly what we need. Bartchi was a good pick up, if he gains some strength I think he can be a legit top 6 winger. All good moves.... Sbisas contract is a head scratcher, miller who sucked for st. louis, signed for 3 years was strange to me ... Vey isn't my cup of tea at all he looks like a little kid and I know 12 year olds who are more intimadating. I think his 2014 draft was good so I'm still a Benning supporter for now. I think ownership likes to get into the middle of things and kibosh any plans of a complete rebuild so don't expect more then one or two vets to be gone next season.

In my opinion Benning is neither a genius or a crappy gm. So far he's been decent but he's made a few good moves and a few where he left me scratching my head. Vrbata, Clendenning, McCann ( even though it was a no brainer pick at 24th) Virtanen who if he can be consistent is exactly what we need. Bartchi was a good pick up, if he gains some strength I think he can be a legit top 6 winger. All good moves.... Sbisas contract is a head scratcher, miller who sucked for st. louis, signed for 3 years was strange to me ... Vey isn't my cup of tea at all he looks like a little kid and I know 12 year olds who are more intimadating. I think his 2014 draft was good so I'm still a Benning supporter for now. I think ownership likes to get into the middle of things and kibosh any plans of a complete rebuild so don't expect more then one or two vets to be gone next season.

No GM in the history of sport is going to make moves that 100% work out. Realistically if you make 1-2 draftees per year making the show I'd say you are very successful. McCann, Virtanen and possibly Demko all look like they have legitimate shots to do so.

The Vey hate still kind of puzzles me... What was anybody's realistic expectations? He's not a physical guy and never has been... He got time early on in a PP2 role (which he's suited for, as a skilled forward) and once he began slowing down, he was dropped. He may not be as intimidating as some of these scary 12 year olds you mentioned but his game in all 3 zones improved quite a bit by the end of the season, and in game 1 I would be happy to argue that his line was probably the best all night.

Sbisa's contract is pretty on par with the rest of the league IMO. He still has tonnes of room that improve his game. Only thing I thought was strange about it was the timing.

People are quick to get on Baertschi for his physicality factor but there is many players his size or smaller that play big roles for their respective teams. Given the right role, we definitely will see this trade pay off. The fact that Calgary seemingly wrote him off doesn't mean a whole lot in my books. Sometimes that happens. One mans trash is another mans treasure as they say.

Having a strong AHL affiliate is going to be absolutely critical in our next few seasons. The ability to reach down into our system and pluck some guys to have a proper look at them in NHL games against the best in the world is a really big deal. Arguably the best move this franchise has made in quite some time.

Fact of the matter is, until we see a player with NHL calibre linemates in big game situations, you don't truly know what you have with a prospect. Some players don't come into their own before getting their break, and we've all seen many guys light junior and the A on fire and fizzling out in the big show.

Like many, Virtanen obviously excites me, but Tryamkin could turn out to be a really big player for us, no pun intended. With proper coaching and development, we potentially have a lot of really good players throughout our system that can be successful in both professional leagues. Obviously this means a lot more to some than others, and while I don't follow Utica quite as closely, I do keep tabs on our guys and would love to see a Calder in our organization.

As you alluded, a PMD will be of the utmost importance in this coming draft and I'm confident Benning is well aware of this. I believe (don't care to check) we are picking at 21st overall thus far? Any idea which Dman would be the best overall pick at that point in the draft?

Defence is clearly our biggest weakpoint, and I think size is something we need to work towards as well. However, imo I believe it's far easier and quicker to buy a heftier, defence first kind of defenceman than a true PMD. I think that's the route we go this off season.

One of Higgins, Bieksa, or Hamhuis moved for the right price. I'm well aware of the analytics behind Higgins' play, and I don't believe Hamhuis had as poor of a season as many here seem to think. However, given the age of these players and what they bring to this team, I believe we could replace them with cheaper and younger players. I won't be upset to see any stay, but I would like them (with the except of Hamhuis) to have reduced roles.

Draft a highly skilled winger. Size is obviously something to look at but I want a guy who scores goals and is exciting to watch. I believe we might very well have this with Baertschi already but another younger one in the pipeline wouldn't hurt.

UFA a crease clearing Dman. Also as mentioned already... I'd like to take a run at a guy like Andrej Meszaros if possible.

Benning has done a great job so far. He's hit a couple home runs, and had a few gambles that haven't panned out maybe as much as some ridiculously short sighted CDC'ers would prefer, but I believe he's in a great position moving forward. I like our direction.

I agree that Tryamkin could translate quite well - at 20 yrs of age with nearly three seasons of experience agianst men in the KHL - bodes well imo.

I have no idea how the draft will break down, but imo there is likely to be a guy like Jacub Zboril, Oliver Kylington, Jeremy Roy, or Jacob Larsson available when the Canucks pick comes up - and failing the right pmd being available, there'll still the option of a quality shutdown guy like Gabriel Carlsson. Only time will tell how these guys develop, but it certainly looks like a draft deep in talented blueliners....

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Beleskey Bonino Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Matthias Letestu Dorsett

*Baertschi, Vey, Kenins

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Ristolainen

Sbisa Mcquaid

*Clendinning

Miller

Markstrom

*O'Connor

-Higgins to New Jersey for pick #67

-Ryan Stanton qualified then dealt to Boston for pick # 105

-Kevin Bieksa to Colorado for pick #40 and #71

-Pick #24 to Chicago for pick #29 and pick #54

-Eddie Lack, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado to Buffalo for Rasmus Ristolainen and pick #92

Picks #29, 40, 54, 67, 71, 92 ,105, 115, 145, 175, 205 (previously had #24, 115, 145, 175, 205)

-Those are just some examples of fantasy moves we can make to get our 2nd and 3rd picks back. Although not much high end talent after the top 4 in last years draft, there were pretty good players in the top 50. This year, I see it closer to 100 players.

-From pick 24 to 45, there will be many D to choose from: Dunn, Kylington, Pilon, Chabot, Roy, Juulsen, Vande Sompel and Carlo

-I say we acquire a 2nd pick and select of those guys that will be leftover. With our 1st, I think Debrusk is better than Virtanen, Bittner is a project that can become a great 2nd line PWF, and Roslovic who may climb into the 1st IMO.

-If one of the small skill guys like Konecny, Merkley, or Connor fall like Shinkaruk did, those become tempting options as well.

-I think we should go with another D with our 3rd if we happen to re-acquire one. Dermott is looking great for Erie, and can clearly keep up with top players (better chemistry with McDavid, Strome, Debrincat then any other Otters D-man). Wotherspoon and Bear played as well as Sanheim and Fleury did last season for Canada, although Thomas Chabot was in a class of his own for the red n white. Gavrikov, although an overager, was the top Dman at this winters WJC. Russian teammates Paigan and Yudin were very good as well, although after Yudin's taunt to the Canadian after their first goal, I'd be scared Virtanen would punch him out at camp (ala Bieksa on Federov). I don't know why Guhle and Rasmus Andersson are rated so low. Martenet and Bruce are as big as Tryamkin.

-At forward, Speers n Senyshyn stood out for SSM. Speers had a larger role then McCann, and Senyshyn is probably the best skater i've seen at the junior level in a long time (along with McDavid of course). Greenway is a beast, but he and Bracco have fallen far, but I still like both. Another American teammate Anthony Greer isn't rated too high, but thats cuz he was stuck on a stacked B.U team. Someone will take a chance on him, knowing he will have an increased role next season. Worked out for Arizona when they chose Christian Dvorak. Graham Knott I feel is a huge talent. Jeremiad Addison also looked good in OHL playoffs. There's 2 100+ point midgets in this draft named Tymashov and Garland. If JB was watching Virtanen, he had to have noticed Karnauhkov. Dergachyov reminds me of a big Artem Chubarov. Malgin and Riat are studs for the Swiss. But my favorite European player I seen was Aleksi Saarela. He dominated and stood out like Pastrnak Larkin and Fiala did for their countries these last cpl World Juniors

-In goal Veini Vehvilainen was the best in my opinion besides that Russian stud. Adin Hill I liked until he met the Kelowna Rockets. Finally, why not.... Denis Godla. Goalie, Goalie!

-Ristolainen deal is an example of a package we can put together for a young RD to play with Hamhuis. Justin Schultz is another option as well. With Edmonton's inevitable turnaround (especially if they get Babcock), I'm happy we never took the 2nd and Paajarvi along with Bo in exchange for Schneider. But Lack, I'd be happy for him to go there if we got Schultz outta there. Don't care what people say, he is good. Just needs a change os scenary and a partner like Hamhuis, not Keith Aulie.

-If its just Buffalo, Edmonton and maybe Carolina that would want Lack, might be tough to get it done, so we may just deal Miller to San Jose or Dallas for far less. Justin Braun? Add Jensen to get slumping Hertl? Add to get Oleksiak whos been passed by Klingberg and Jokipakka. Willie would love to get his former Texas Star player, and Benning would love another kid nearly as big as Chara. Lets get Brendan Gaunce's brother as well, especially is Cal O'Reilly signs in Colorado

*******Watch this Kovar (pronounced Ko-vash) kid for the Czech's. Jan or Jakub I forget. He's pretty darn good, playing alongside Jagr n Voracek. He puts up Kovalchuk type numbers in the KHL as well. He has a bro, maybe twin, whos been a top goalie in Europe for years. If we don't get O'Connor, perhaps we bring over these fairly young brothers. Might be the next Jori Lehtera. They probably make big money, although I don't know if its the entire KHL that spends loads on salaries, or just the Russian clubs. By the way, Tortorella should go follow Keenan's footsteps and coach there. Personality would fit well.

I agree that Tryamkin could translate quite well - at 20 yrs of age with nearly three seasons of experience agianst men in the KHL - bodes well imo.

I have no idea how the draft will break down, but imo there is likely to be a guy like Jacub Zboril, Oliver Kylington, Jeremy Roy, or Jacob Larsson available when the Canucks pick comes up - and failing the right pmd being available, there'll still the option of a quality shutdown guy like Gabriel Carlsson. Only time will tell how these guys develop, but it certainly looks like a draft deep in talented blueliners....

With a guy like Tryamkin I think it's mostly about desire. How badly does this guy want to be in the nhl? He's got the size and the tools but does he have the drive? Chara wasn't thought of much until he became a beast in the weight room ect

No GM in the history of sport is going to make moves that 100% work out. Realistically if you make 1-2 draftees per year making the show I'd say you are very successful. McCann, Virtanen and possibly Demko all look like they have legitimate shots to do so.

The Vey hate still kind of puzzles me... What was anybody's realistic expectations? He's not a physical guy and never has been... He got time early on in a PP2 role (which he's suited for, as a skilled forward) and once he began slowing down, he was dropped. He may not be as intimidating as some of these scary 12 year olds you mentioned but his game in all 3 zones improved quite a bit by the end of the season, and in game 1 I would be happy to argue that his line was probably the best all night.

Sbisa's contract is pretty on par with the rest of the league IMO. He still has tonnes of room that improve his game. Only thing I thought was strange about it was the timing.

Your right no gm is perfect but making the wrong moves can screw your team for years. I just hope they are right about Sbisa and guys like Vey. Vey needs to add strength in the worst possible way. He should be training with Bo in the offseason. Sbisa has the tools but god does he make a lot if bone head plays in big games...

How important is JB's philosophy of young guys needing veterans to show them the "right way to play" when it comes to goalie? Especially considering that we have a proven goalie coach in Rollie?

I'd love for the team to sign O'Connor but I'm also sick of loosing quality goalies for less than their legitimate and probable value. Although Eddie Lack hasn't quite shown that he's on the same level as Cory Schneider, Lack has shown that he's capable of winning against good teams and without the defence of guys like Salo, Ehrhoff and Hamhuis and Bieksa when they were in their prime. He's done an admirable job with a lesser team.

Although Lack might not be able to "mentor" Markstrom I'd be nice to try and build up the value of both goalies. If they both succeed, one can be shipped out for a better return than we'll get now. If only one succeeds than we know who the clear back up is. If they both suck then we can at least accumulate earlier draft picks and make the team stronger for when O'Connor or Demko is ready to step in.

I know everyone is pleased with how Horvat has performed. But even a top 10 draft choice is a gamble. Schneider was a fully developed goalie that showed elite skill and was just entering the prime of his career. He was worth more than one gamble. I know, I know, I know. Gillis, cap issues, failing to trade Luongo earlier. Hands essentially tied.

I'm starting to think having Linden for President is wrong. Gillis, the trade guy, and Benning, the scouting guy, would be a dream team.

Agree. Specifically a RW as we are weak in RW prospects (Virtanen being the only one I can think of).

How important is JB's philosophy of young guys needing veterans to show them the "right way to play" when it comes to goalie? Especially considering that we have a proven goalie coach in Rollie?

I'd love for the team to sign O'Connor but I'm also sick of loosing quality goalies for less than their legitimate and probable value. Although Eddie Lack hasn't quite shown that he's on the same level as Cory Schneider, Lack has shown that he's capable of winning against good teams and without the defence of guys like Salo, Ehrhoff and Hamhuis and Bieksa when they were in their prime. He's done an admirable job with a lesser team.

Although Lack might not be able to "mentor" Markstrom I'd be nice to try and build up the value of both goalies. If they both succeed, one can be shipped out for a better return than we'll get now. If only one succeeds than we know who the clear back up is. If they both suck then we can at least accumulate earlier draft picks and make the team stronger for when O'Connor or Demko is ready to step in.

I know everyone is pleased with how Horvat has performed. But even a top 10 draft choice is a gamble. Schneider was a fully developed goalie that showed elite skill and was just entering the prime of his career. He was worth more than one gamble. I know, I know, I know. Gillis, cap issues, failing to trade Luongo earlier. Hands essentially tied.

I'm starting to think having Linden for President is wrong. Gillis, the trade guy, and Benning, the scouting guy, would be a dream team.

I completely agree, I hate seeing us get low return on quality goaltenders. Gillis (as much as I liked him) screwed himself over with the Luongo trade and dragging it out. Schneider - somewhat similar situation.

You also have to look at what teams need a goalie? Then you have to factor in how many are out there - supply and demand. Anaheim has two in Gibson and Andersen and if they fail at winning the cup this year would be smart to move one. St Louis - why would Elliott want to stay when they went with Allen. Ottawa now has a goalie excess. Tampa Bay has Vasilevsky - I believe the most highly touted rookie/prospect goalie coming up behind Bishop. Chicago has options behind Crawford. LA is fine. Is Buffalo finished their rebuild? Probably not unless they somehow manage to trade up for McDavid (they won't). Arizona - ditto. The Wild have Kuemper and Dubnyk. I could go on but I think you get my point. Edmonton clearly needs a goalie but there are also a lot of options for them outside any of our 3 goalies (Markstrom, Lack, Miller).

I completely agree, I hate seeing us get low return on quality goaltenders. Gillis (as much as I liked him) screwed himself over with the Luongo trade and dragging it out. Schneider - somewhat similar situation.

You also have to look at what teams need a goalie? Then you have to factor in how many are out there - supply and demand. Anaheim has two in Gibson and Andersen and if they fail at winning the cup this year would be smart to move one. St Louis - why would Elliott want to stay when they went with Allen. Ottawa now has a goalie excess. Tampa Bay has Vasilevsky - I believe the most highly touted rookie/prospect goalie coming up behind Bishop. Chicago has options behind Crawford. LA is fine. Is Buffalo finished their rebuild? Probably not unless they somehow manage to trade up for McDavid (they won't). Arizona - ditto. The Wild have Kuemper and Dubnyk. I could go on but I think you get my point. Edmonton clearly needs a goalie but there are also a lot of options for them outside any of our 3 goalies (Markstrom, Lack, Miller).

I think the league screwed Gillis over with the Lu situation. They changed the cap rules after the deal was done. Shnieds got us Horvat who will probably be our best player in 2 years.

Your right no gm is perfect but making the wrong moves can screw your team for years. I just hope they are right about Sbisa and guys like Vey. Vey needs to add strength in the worst possible way. He should be training with Bo in the offseason. Sbisa has the tools but god does he make a lot if bone head plays in big games...

If they are right about them, they'll look like geniuses.

I think the league screwed Gillis over with the Lu situation. They changed the cap rules after the deal was done. Shnieds got us Horvat who will probably be our best player in 2 years.

Other than maybe Tanev, he's our best player now...

People don't realize that he is a major, major longshot to make the NHL.

Lighting it up in Jr has nothing to do with being able to handle a big presence in front of the net.

On average It takes a normal sized D-man +\- 8 years from his draft year to max out potential. It could take Subban 10. 1 highly doubt we will be that patient with a 5-8er. Lots of other bigger/ taller options to develop into PP guyz.

I personally have no use for a midget D-man.

I'd wager because of how well Subban's doing in Junior, his agent is probably asking for more than his late draft position warrants.

So does a lot of the Canucks D, save Tanev.

I think the league showed that it's being run by amateurs through the Luongo punishment. You introduced that loophole and you are punishing people for it? Basically you are punishing people for making you look stupid. Had there not be salary recapture penalty, Gillis would've been able to trade Luongo for a fair return and should've had the ample opportunities to make the team competitive.

Other than maybe Tanev, he's our best player now...

I love Horvat but no he's not the best player yet. In two years, I think so.

Archived