The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Fans’ Verdict: How you rate the Canucks’ season 2014/15

Heretic

The fans are currently at grumpy cat level status now when it comes to this team and the delay of the rebuild.

41353529.jpg

If things like insane trades happen to delay it further, then the team shouldn't have to worry about the fans, because they may vanish outright.

6038541323_742c2f901a_z.jpg

The thing is fans here are smart. They know what is needed and they're prepared to see it through. If the Canucks don't see it too then wow, I don't know if anything but an extended dark period is ahead.

ps. Merely 'getting younger' isn't a solution either.

i don't see how the fans here are smart....and management. not so much...people want younger guys given a chance but didn't like vey's season and want him gone..if you just go younger and can't except the mistakes and adjustment to the learning curve, and sbisa is still learning his craft but some want him gone....higgins who did everything the coach asked of him, (playing higher up and concentrating on being the defensive conscience of the lines he was on ), but fans want him gone...if higgins, burr, richardson and hansen are gone, we drop done to the bottom part of the league in the pk....smart...we fans have opinions, but we try to pass them off as being smart...., we're not smart, just opinionated....big difference.

i don't see how the fans here are smart....and management. not so much...people want younger guys given a chance but didn't like vey's season and want him gone..if you just go younger and can't except the mistakes and adjustment to the learning curve, and sbisa is still learning his craft but some want him gone....higgins who did everything the coach asked of him, (playing higher up and concentrating on being the defensive conscience of the lines he was on ), but fans want him gone...if higgins, burr, richardson and hansen are gone, we drop done to the bottom part of the league in the pk....smart...we fans have opinions, but we try to pass them off as being smart...., we're not smart, just opinionated....big difference.

Not that I/we all want them out, I don't think is a fan in any fanbase who would regard Vey or Sbisa as answers, nor those other guys at this point. I think what i'm referring to represents a much larger picture than watching a regular season pk rating drop.

Horvat is our 2nd best player???

How delusional are the fans who voted?

Shiny new toy effect. Same as how vrby won team MVP.

Bo had a terrific season and I'm excited he's a Canuck. That being said, he was the most overrated guy on the team this regular season. I think he had the worst plus minus.

Had a great playoff though. Looking forward to seeing him improve. But second best player... Come on.

Edit: as for the season itself. It was absolutely terrific. My love for the game and the team was shattered after the departures of luongo and Weise. This team had me at training camp... And then further with their effort over the 82 games. Couldn't have asked for a much better regular season.

PPlayoffs obviously didn't go our way so it can't get a high rating.

At the end of the day I rather cheer for this team than any other. The blue and green blood runs deep.

People will come and see new guys, but if those new guys aren't getting the job done when it matters most, the urge to see them will fade. ie. Virtanen and Horvat are a start, but there is much more work to be done to honestly build some excitement again around here, let lone a winner.

cant expect anything much more from a team who is going thru the transition....

Of course we should look at getting younger, but I wouldn't want to ice the Comets next year either.

Youth is good, mixed with experience. We will get younger and better, year after year.

Benning has said he will make room for the youngsters, if they are pushing for a roster spot.

These three comments are all getting at the same thing, which I agree with. I would rephrase the argument as follows.

1. Having a young team is not an objective itself. As "Shoot the Puck" implies, if the objective is just to be young we could put all the young guys from the Comets on the big team next year. That might be interesting for one game, after which the fans would be in mutiny mode.

2. The theory that young guys improve more quickly by putting them in over their heads in the NHL before they are ready is false. There is quite a bit of evidence on this and that model has pretty much been abandoned by GMs around the league. By all means give a young guy a meaningful audition (like Horvat). If he shows he belongs, great. If not, send him back to Junior or the minors.

3. One reason we care about having a young team is because good young guys get better over time (age-related improvement). Good older guys get worse over time (age-related decline). For forwards, there is normally significant improvement between 18 and 23 or so. Guys are usually pretty close to peak performance from 24 to maybe 31 or 32, and after that guys normally decline. For Ds the age ranges are a year or two later. Therefore, if we have a bunch of good players who under 24 we can feel good about the future. If most of our productivity is coming from guys over 30, the future does not look so bright.

4. For the last several years the Canucks have relied disproportionately on older guys. Despite the emergence of Bo Horvat and, to a lesser extent, Ronalds Kenins, that was also true this year.

5. If barely making the playoffs is the last hurrah for good but declining older guys, that is not so great. If it is the result of getting good young guys on board, that is much better.

6. This summer and next year is a critical time for Benning if he wants to keep the fans on board. Right now there is only one good young player who has shown he can really contribute -- Horvat. The fact that Benning seems to think that Sbisa is both young and good is very disturbing. Ditto for Weber. Vey did not pass the test this year and let's face it, Kassian is a question mark. Kenins in my view is a 4th liner. Next year we need to see development from other young guys in the system (Baertschi, Clendening, Corrado, etc.) or some acquisitions of new young guys through the draft or trades.

Even so, it will be hard to keep up with Calgary and Edmonton and hard to close the gap on Anaheim. And look for LA to bounce back next year as well.

Solid season, can't really ask much more for a team that many analysts expected to miss the playoffs.

As Canuck fans many of us are rarely satisfied because of our long suffering history and constant post-season disappointments...but really this is better than expected.

Just need to keep building on players like Horvat and keep injecting a prospect here and there into the lineup and in 4-5 years we could be back to contending for the Cup.....if management is smart.

I think the season was a success based on a lowered expectation.

Just make the playoffs? That's what a young rebuilding team strives for.

And apparently it's what an old "retooling" team strives for as well. Mission accomplished.

Nice regular season, poor playoffs again. My overall grade for the Canucks is a 'B'. Once again they teased us with a solid season and showed us very little in the playoffs.

It was a good season

101 Points

2nd in the Pacific

Sedins were the top 20 in points

Edler's bounce back year

Horvat

Canucks beat the following teams in the season series STL, CHI, WPG, PIT, NYI, and WSH. Tied with the following NYR, DET, CGY, OTT, and MTL. So basically a good record against playoff teams.

Canucks look a lot like the 2012-2013 version....good regular season, poor post season.

The Canucks game plan is to be outworked by their opponent each year, I swear. They go the same speed all year long.

I think getting young is the solution. Me personally, will go to games to see guys like Virtanen, Gaunce, Shinkurak showing something new and special. I think the fans are bored out of their minds from the core. If Benning doesn't start getting rid of the core, I can see empty seats. However, if he brings in young players I can see people still at the games. In short, the fans are sick of the core.

They all had way too many chances and now it's time to clean house.

You will until they start making mistakes then you will come here to call them busts and blame management for rushing the young guys.

Successful season in my opinion. Team showed some fortitude getting back into the playoffs, Sedins proved they can still play and Horvat looks like a stud. That suggests another entertaining season next year, especially considering some new young guys will be given a shot.

Despite my initial disgust at losing to the flames, they may have done us a favour in reminding the management that moves still need to happen. I don't expect or want wholesale change, but a few pieces will be shifted. Looking forward to seeing what Benning does this offseason.

I liked the regular season with a 4 line attack but we lost the edge of that in the more physical playoffs.I would really like to have the 2 second round draft picks back..they shouldn't be allowed to trade with their heart ie Med Hat players should be available at lower prices especially considering what this draft promises..otherwise I like what this administration is envisioning.

ilduce39

Agree. Successful season. Young guys played in a tough and successful playoff race and then got some playoff experience.

And from the glass half full point of view, the Canucks deficiencies were exposed in the playoffs and it is very clear what needs to be done in the offseason.

Season was a success, playoffs were disappointing. I don't mind losing to the Flames so much as I do mind the way we lost. Core had no drive and the ones who put in the most effort were (surprise, surprise) the younger players.

I'm actually pretty baffled at how much hate Vey gets. 23 years old, still improving, and 24 pts in 75 games at just north of $700k. He makes a great bottom 6 player. Kind of hoping he goes to a team where the fans appreciate him more.

Season: Success

Horvat and Vey got prime time ice time and it was a great developmental year for them.

Post-Season: Success (?)

Clearly pointed out everything wrong with this team, and showed that we were overacheiving in the regualar season.

The question mark is there because if Benning chooses to ignore the obvious issues, we aren't seeing a Cup for at least the next ten years...

Archived