The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Fans’ Verdict: How you rate the Canucks’ season 2014/15

Heretic

I love Horvat and believe he'll be the next Canuck captain, but saying he was the 2nd best player on the Canucks this season is simply overrating him.

And the amount of hate Vey gets is laughable. The article says they want youth but wants to ship out a 23 year old sophomore? Lol

I love Horvat and believe he'll be the next Canuck captain, but saying he was the 2nd best player on the Canucks this season is simply overrating him.

And the amount of hate Vey gets is laughable. The article says they want youth but wants to ship out a 23 year old sophomore? Lol

Youth is more than a number. We could easily get younger bringing up any mook from the minors if that was our concern

Bo gets accolades because you can see the progression in his game and he makes it easy to have high hopes for his future here and he did it with low minutes and lesser linemates.

Vey got prime minutes and powerplay time and while he had some early success his 5 on 5 was painful and he gets knocked off the puck with so much as a harsh look.

This doesn't mean I want to get rid of Vey or have given up on him or think he's not an NHL-er but I don't think if he is here or not makes or breaks this team nor affects the needed youth movement one way or another. We need to get bigger, younger and faster and players that are 1 out of 3 can still come and go

We've had plenty of Vey's play for us already and not enough Bo's.

The Good:

The Sedins: Both bounced back and had great years, finishing each in the top 10 in scoring.

Burrows: Had a great year after the dreadful year last season, even though he didn't crack 20 goals.

Vrbata: Best free agent signing by any team last off season. Gave us a sniper, which we needed badly.

Edler and Tanev: By far our best D pairing, both played amazing this season, especially Edler after his disastrous year last year.

Dorsett: What a steal this guy was. He brought heart, grit, and determination every shift. Huge part of our team, and I'm loving him!

The fourth line: For the first time in forever, we have a fourth line! A very good one at that! Horvat and Kenins emerged from out of nowhere, complimented by Hansen, and the trio were a huge threat, including in the playoffs.

Lack: Played amazing this year when Miller went down. Gave us a chance to win every night. Really improved drastically from last season.

Shootouts: We actually won shootouts this year! They really helped us in the long run too, gained a lot of valuable points.

The average:

Miller: Played amazing some nights, dreadful on others. When we lost with him in net, it was always a blow out. When we won, he was tight hockey. Helped us quite a bit, but needs to be a lot more consistent. He definitely had an off year. Great mentor for Eddie though.

Kassian: Ah Kassian, what a hot topic. He had an amazing second half of the season before he got injured, but an absolutely terrible first half. Scratched regularly, which frankly was deserved. There definitely seems to be something in the locker room between him and Willie, but he made terrific progress on the last half of the season.

Bonino: Played great defensively, but not enough offense for the 2C spot. He had spurts of offense, but really lacked, especially towards the end of the year. His D play more then made up for it, he was our best defensive forward. He is better suited for a 3rd C role however.

Sbisa: Played terribly some nights, played great some nights. Like Miller, Sbisa needs to be good more. He has potential, he needs to tap it.

Matthias: Nearly scored 20, but was VERY inconsistent throughout the year. Never used his body to his advantage either. That being said, he dominated when he was on his game, and his goal contributions just got him a pass in my books.

Weber: Career year in goals and offense, but very weak defensively. -5 in the playoffs, worst on the team. Yikes... For a 7th Dman though, he played pretty decently, and sparked our PP.

The Bad:

Hamhuis and Bieksa: Both absolutely stunk from the beginning of the year to the playoffs. Hammer's injuries didn't help either, but both showed signs of significant regression. Especially Bieksa. Probably the worst season of both their pro careers.

Higgins: Completely vanished. Plays seemed to die every time he touched the puck. Was an extreme liability out there, and it's clear that he's no longer the player he was back when we first got him. Lost a few steps.

Vey: Had a good start, but floundered quickly. Granted, he's only a rookie, he's bound to improve. But his play was really bad in key moments. I will give him slack though, again, only a rookie.

The second line: Oh boy, the second line. Fell completely flat when we needed it most. The offense just utterly vanished. The fourth line outplayed them badly in the playoffs. It was very frustrating.

Losing to weak opponents regularly: If the Canucks had actually won a few games against weak teams, we could've had the presidents trophy. Not even joking. We lost very costly games to Buffalo, New Jersey, Columbus, Dallas just spanked us, Arizona kicked our butts badly TWICE, and even Toronto and Florida outplayed us. Not acceptable at all. All games were very winnable, yet the team took the nights off.

The Playoffs: HUGE letdown. I never saw the Canucks winning the cup this season or anything, but Calgary was a very beatable team and we just completely blew it against them. What a joke. Hiller looked shaky throughout the whole series, and Calgary at times looked like a rookie team, but Vancouver played terribly. The first and fourth lines showed up. That's it. The third and second lines, as well as the entire D core said screw it and didn't show up at all. This should have been a hard fought series win. Big let down. We should have won games 1 and 6, they were ours to lose, and we lost them.

All in all, I am happy with the season, but I expect big changes to be made this off season. Plenty to improve upon.

I think getting young is the solution. Me personally, will go to games to see guys like Virtanen, Gaunce, Shinkurak showing something new and special. I think the fans are bored out of their minds from the core. If Benning doesn't start getting rid of the core, I can see empty seats. However, if he brings in young players I can see people still at the games. In short, the fans are sick of the core.

They all had way too many chances and now it's time to clean house.

And what happens if it's not so special? Van fans don't like to buck up to watch the team lose. Speaking from history on that. Not even Bure and Mogilny could keep butts in the seats when the team went on the skids.

A full third of the team was new faces last season. That's a mighty turnover for one year.

Youth is more then a number. We could easily get younger bringing up any mook from the minors if that was our concern

Bo gets accolades because you can see the progression in his game and he makes it easy to have high hopes for his future here and he did it with low minutes and lesser linemates.

Vey got prime minutes and powerplay time and while he had some early success his 5 on 5 was painful and he gets knocked off the puck with so much as a harsh look.

This doesn't mean I want to get rid of Vey or have given up on him or think he's not an NHL-er but I don't think if he is here or not makes or breaks this team nor affects the needed youth movement one way or another. We need to get bigger, younger and faster and players that are 1 out of 3 can still come and go

We've had plenty of Vey's play for us already and not enough Bo's.

ES time on ice per game:

Vey 11:17

Horvat 11:17

huh?

The sad thing is the same problems crop up year after year. The reason folks want youth, is for the first time in years we've got a pretty well stocked talent pool to draw from. And with that talent pool, hope remains high that they will all become the nucleus of a new faster, better core.

The reality is the Sedins, and Vrbata are the only real constant scoring threat on this team. Bo is young, and learning and even when he's not scoring he's generating chances. Bonino, Vey, Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, and Kassian all seemed to get hot and cold, but never consistent. That's half of our forward lines. Our defence. Yikes. Works ok as a unit, but has little to no offensive punch. Worse still struggles to contain the puck in the offensive zone, and chases a bit too much in the defensive zone.

To be frank. Even players like Edler and Tanev are not even close to Norris calibre players. What scares me is even if we found 1-2 defensive gems in this draft, it will be 3-4 years before they are NHL ready. We're still suffering from the loss of Luc Bourdon.

Gillis' biggest blunder was being content with our defence, when he should have seen the defence was getting older, and lacking a power play QB, and stay at home big body d-man when we lost both Mitchell and Hoff.

And what happens if it's not so special? Van fans don't like to buck up to watch the team lose. Speaking from history on that. Not even Bure and Mogilny could keep butts in the seats when the team went on the skids.

A full third of the team was new faces last season. That's a mighty turnover for one year.

That team in the late 90's had a black cloud over it. Going to a game was just no fun. Was no surprise that a team where Brett Hull was quoted saying "I don't understand how they don't win" dropped in attendance.

It's not because vancouver fans are assholes but there was something really really wrong with that part of the era. If you were there screaming your guts out and trying to start the wave, great on you, but I found it difficult to get excited with that team. I remained a diehard fan but I did not blame others that fell out of love.

Much like the core we have now. Attendance is dropping because despite some new faces in support roles it's still much the same core driving the offense and defense. Doesn't mean we are these horrible fickle bandwagoners. Just want a team that works hard.

Heard that in the late 90's and hear it now. "Just a team that works hard"

Went out in embarrassing fashion. Accomplishing less with some pride would have felt better.

3-0 lead.... seriously.. To the Flames... Flames

Vancouver was better than 22 teams this regular season. I seriously doubt LA, Colorado, San Jose, Boston, Dallas, and Columbus felt more proud of their season than Vancouver.

participation-medal.png

I mean by that analogy that means the only team that should be considered as having a good season is the team that wins the cup. I said it before and I said it again how can the Jets and Sens fans consider their season as good and Vancouver as bad when Vancouver finished higher in the standings and lasted as long (if not longer) in the post season than them?

I mean by that analogy that means the only team that should be considered as having a good season is the team that wins the cup. I said it before and I said it again how can the Jets and Sens fans consider their season as good and Vancouver as bad when Vancouver finished higher in the standings and lasted as long (if not longer) in the post season than them?

I fight with Timberwolf on his opinion that the only successful season is one that wins the cup, but there is some validity to his opinion. I don't agree with him specifically, I tend to judge by how the team meets or exceeds my expectations. I would not call this season a success. We were lucky to be in a weak division (probably for last season for a while) and we were a mediocre team at best. I will still cheer my butt off and not forsake them, it's still not as bad as the late 80's and late 90's. Unless we get wholesale changes to our roster, we are headed back to the bottom.

If anyone really cares about attendance over roster then we are not on the same page. I couldn't care less how many empty seats there are in the Rog. I really wish we could get past the "winning culture" from 2011 and move on to the winning culture of 2016. Go Benning Go. Makes us a winner, and do whatever it takes. Growing pains doesn't mean tanking.

In my defense it's not just wins a cup. It's win the cup or take steps towards it. This season felt like that goal was not achieved as "just make the playoffs" was the mantra

It's like when I make easy New Years resolutions (eat more bacon) When I meet that goal there is not much to celebrate. Same goes for the canucks. Getting them back to the team that folds in the playoffs is not as great an accomplishment as some may be celebrating

Archived